Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MotorTrend article: Tesla Model 3 vs I-pace vs Alfa Romeo Guilia Q...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By your logic they should just offer a P3D++ package with track tires just so they can beat the Alfa in this test. Very few people want to run 60TW tires on a street car. Do you want to change tires every 5000 miles?
I guess I didn’t expect the P3D+ to even come close to Elon’s bluster so I’m very impressed!
Your mistake is thinking that Elon is blustering...

but if I were going to run laps at a track , I’d rather be in an Alfa.

Why, because in this particular race Pobst drove Alfa 1 second faster?

You have P3D which is $10k cheaper, running a beta version of Track Mode, rolling 300 tread tires putting up very competitive times. Not only is P3D within a second of Alfa and M4 on this track, but it beats them all in 0-60, 0-100, and 1/4 mile. M3 on the same track was recorded 1:27.67 and 1:29.02.

So are you sure you wouldn't want to just put on a set of better tires and embarrass the top dog ICE sedan that costs more? This isn't accounting for further improvements once Track Mode is finalized and goes public. Man you're hard to please.

Remember Tesla went from Not-A-Track-Car Model S to I can run with the top dogs of ICE sedans on tracks with Model 3.

Last edited:
Why, because in this particular race Pobst drove Alfa 1 second faster?
Did you read the article? The Alfa sounds like it would be a helluva a lot more fun to drive around the track than the 3 was.

This is where I would normally make a joke about the Alfa only being fun till it inevitably broke, but Tesla owners shouldn't be throwing stones about reliability :-/

Did you read the article? The Alfa sounds like it would be a helluva a lot more fun to drive around the track than the 3 was.

This is where I would normally make a joke about the Alfa only being fun till it inevitably broke, but Tesla owners shouldn't be throwing stones about reliability :-/

Of course the Alfa is described as more fun, it's what the driver was used to. I got an undercurrent in this article that the driver simply hasn't had enough time driving these EVs to know how to drive them, since it is really quite different (especially under these conditions) than an ICE car. Tracking is fun when you're riding on that line of control vs. out of control and you can only toe that line if you're confident in the vehicle you're driving, how it works, what it does when you push pedals/buttons, etc. EVs do not operate like ICE, especially (though not the only difference) if you have 0.3g of effective braking when you let off the gas. We've been driving ICE vehicles for years, we know their ins and outs, how to optimize our line, etc. EVs simply operate on slightly different concepts with instantaneous torque no matter what, regen, etc. Don't get me wrong, I am getting my P3D to sit next to my 6MT Golf R because I'm not convinced it will replace my desire to row through a gearbox, but I'm more of the mindset these are apples and oranges kind of experiences than something that can be directly compared.

If you want zero throttle you just let your foot partially off. Regen braking is very moderate. Even I track mode it’s 0.3g and I doubt it’s even that at very high speeds. Full friction brakes are about 1.2g. There is basically zero time that you’re not on throttle or the brakes driving on a track. Regen just moves the crossover point.
Regen was messing up the transition from braking to accelerating:
From the article:
However, Randy needs to chime in: "It's very easy to get understeer, the car's handling is sometimes inconsistent, and there's something weird happening when I lift off the brake."

What Randy is feeling is a lingering deceleration after he releases the brake (before he's moved his foot to the accelerator)—it's the undepressed accelerator pedal's heavy regenerative braking setting that's confusing him during the transition. Compared to the car's normal "heavy" rate of 0.2 g (matching that of the Jag), Track mode applies a more noticeable 0.3 g's.

Either need to 2 foot drive, or have a track mode option to prevent regen after hard braking event until after the accelerator is pressed again.

From the article:

Either need to 2 foot drive, or have a track mode option to prevent regen after hard braking event until after the accelerator is pressed again.
Hmm, I hadn't considered that. As an amateur I guess I was just too dumb to notice.

Production issues maybe, but reliability? I don't know if I expect Toyota levels but I am betting we will be at least in the middle of the pack.

I had a blast on the track with my p3. I think "fun" is pretty debatable. A light manual car will always be more fun in some ways, but I definitely liked the torque.

Production issues maybe, but reliability? I don't know if I expect Toyota levels but I am betting we will be at least in the middle of the pack.
The S and X are much closer to the bottom than to the middle of the pack. Perhaps the 3 will be better but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Also of note the Alfa has a automatic, not a manual. If it had a manual I'd be driving one right now.

By your logic they should just offer a P3D++ package with track tires just so they can beat the Alfa in this test. Very few people want to run 60TW tires on a street car. Do you want to change tires every 5000 miles?
I guess I didn’t expect the P3D+ to even come close to Elon’s bluster so I’m very impressed!

I'd be tempted to buy 5,000 mile tires if it meant I could corner better. I wonder what the Roadster 2 will come with?

From the article:

Yes, I think Tesla needs to augment their Track mode. Right now it sounds like it's set up to drift around corners. Which is FUN, but I don't think this results in the best track times. So maybe a few more Track mode options, or two different track modes: "Fun", and "Fast".

Reactions: CaliBear1 and mongo
Yes, I think Tesla needs to augment their Track mode. Right now it sounds like it's set up to drift around corners. Which is FUN, but I don't think this results in the best track times. So maybe a few more Track mode options, or two different track modes: "Fun", and "Fast".
It sounds like it's set up to allow you to drift around corners. That doesn't mean it prevents you from taking the correct line.
I'd be tempted to buy 5,000 mile tires if it meant I could corner better. I wonder what the Roadster 2 will come with?
Go for it. If you're willing to sacrifice ride quality, noise and tire life, sticky tires are amazing. Burn the oil in the tires instead of the engine :D
Roadster will probably come with Michelin Pilot Sport Cups. That's what the Porsche 918 comes with.

There is quite a bit of engine braking when you're revving an ICE at high RPM. There's no reason you couldn't make an ICE vehicle apply the brakes as you let off the throttle. I wonder if there could be a small benefit from true one pedal driving (i.e. full friction brake when you let off accelerator).