Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP AWD/Performance Coilover Impression and Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the perspective of a Model Y MPP comfort adjustable coilover owner, I'm a bit jealous of your symmetrical adjustment settings (ex. 12/12 front AND rear / 12/10 all-around)

for comparison, MPP suggested settings for Model Y vs. approx. max number of turns to full-soft are:

front

compression (bottom adjustment): 12 / 14
rebound (top adjustment): 12 / 19-20

rear
compression (bottom adjustment): 10 / 13
rebound (top adjustment): 8 / 20

represented a different way:
front 12/12 (compression/rebound turns from full stiff)
rear 10/8 (compression/rebound turns from full stiff)

a little bumpy for daily driving with my family, so I'm currently at the following but likely will tinker with it in coming days:
front 13/16 (compression/rebound turns from full stiff)
rear 12/12 (compression/rebound turns from full stiff)

Spent some time dialing in ride height a bit today, I took the center caps off and used a tape measure to hook into the top of the hub and measured to the fender from there. With the Performance wheel design I put it in Tow mode and rolled it back and forth until it lined up to get a uninterrupted vertical measurement. Also took the time to change to 8/10 on all the dampers and took it for a quick spin on some back roads. I giggled a few times. Getting it aligned Tuesday at my buddies shop, didn't get any of the rear arms but need to 0 out toe.

• Love
Reactions: MountainPass
Spent some time dialing in ride height a bit today, I took the center caps off and used a tape measure to hook into the top of the hub and measured to the fender from there. With the Performance wheel design I put it in Tow mode and rolled it back and forth until it lined up to get a uninterrupted vertical measurement. Also took the time to change to 8/10 on all the dampers and took it for a quick spin on some back roads. I giggled a few times. Getting it aligned Tuesday at my buddies shop, didn't get any of the rear arms but need to 0 out toe.
Awesome, enjoy! I am running 12/10 right now during the winter since I won't be carving any roads anytime soon.

Awesome, enjoy! I am running 12/10 right now during the winter since I won't be carving any roads anytime soon.

Coming from a C6 Corvette with Z06 shocks and a C7 Corvette Z51 with magnetic ride set to sport 99% of the time even at 10/8 it doesn’t feel any worse than either of those. I’ll probably go back to 12/10 between events for maximum Wife Acceptance Factor but enjoying this for now.

I def need to get those holes drilled for the front rebound. Got some grommets coming tomorrow, just gotta see if I can line up the drill right :p. Was able to get to front compression with the wheels turned (my fingertips hate me) and the rears slightly jacked up with wheels still on.

Got the car lined up today. After chasing ride height for a bit in my uneven garage I checked it on the alignment rack. Was 111mm battery height F/R on the drivers side and 113mm battery height F/R on passenger side. My buddies said id be insane to keep chasing after 2mm and leave it alone (my OCD twitches)

Stock camber/toe arms in the rear, car was at -1.4/-1.5 camber and we managed to get a hair of toe out with stock arms maxed out.

Front camber was -1.1/-1.2 with a full shim stack. Went for 0 toe in the front. Will pull the shims when swapping my AutoX wheels on. Car felt awesome on the way home.

5 weeks until the first event of the year... however stickers obviously mean racecar

ADF1E9CE-C3A6-46D8-913A-B54D6E10D259.jpeg
74575FD7-8D31-4972-B7E3-824580F317B0.jpeg
60CD78BD-DF7D-4C18-B83F-013448F4D689.jpeg
F31B2B94-3F4B-4C5A-9BF2-C0CD6336B3B6.jpeg
50AEAB7D-7E84-4A91-B4CF-D0EDBAE8AD3C.jpeg
334EC014-5FCE-413E-B565-872DD2CA28CB.jpeg

Looks good. Did you use the height setup measurements from MPP?

I tried initially (started at recommended perch settings) but nothing was making sense and I think it’s because I was chasing my tail with uneven garage concrete at home. I finally said let’s just get it on the alignment rack and measure battery height since that’s ultimately my concern. They recommended 110mm front pack height and 111mm rear pack height. We figured at 111 on one side and 113 on the other we were close enough and within tire pressure tolerances

Last edited:
Reactions: MountainPass
Finally got my M3P and Holy S@#$ it is awesome. The stock suspension is not too bad. Feels a little weird over uneven pavement and intersections humps but not bad. I was impressed. Look forward to get my MPP Sports installed on TUES to compare. With what I have experienced today plus the improved MPP suspension this is going line up to be the best car I could imagine.

Reactions: dfwatt and MODEL+
I was able to have my MPP Sports installed today and all I got to say is WOW!!!! I cant wrap my mind around how I can lower it this much and it still more complaint than the stock suspension.

The roads are uneven and filled with cracks in my area making the stock suspension feel very nervous. Now I barely feel the cracks. I can tell the suspension is more firm but it sucks up the road imperfections. Steering is tighter now too. I couldn't be happier with the results. The staff at MPP is awesome. I purchased the coilovers while on deployment in NOV and got extend until MAR . They honored their black friday sale and held onto my order until I returned home. Awesome product and company to match.

IMG_0979.jpg
IMG_0976.JPG

I was able to have my MPP Sports installed today and all I got to say is WOW!!!! I cant wrap my mind around how I can lower it this much and it still more complaint than the stock suspension.

The roads are uneven and filled with cracks in my area making the stock suspension feel very nervous. Now I barely feel the cracks. I can tell the suspension is more firm but it sucks up the road imperfections. Steering is tighter now too. I couldn't be happier with the results. The staff at MPP is awesome. I purchased the coilovers while on deployment in NOV and got extend until MAR . They honored their black friday sale and held onto my order until I returned home. Awesome product and company to match.

View attachment 647421View attachment 647422
Looking real good Eddie! You move quick haha

View attachment 647421View attachment 647422
Congrats Eddie! Your car looks great. We might be on similar trajectories. I got the Sports coil over kit then all the suspension arms and then the front lower control arm bushing. At each stage of build out the turn in got sharper. One thing you might think about is getting some lightweight forged wheels and when those P Zeros we're out getting the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Handles better and rides better too.

I might me over thinking things here but on the rear suspension + and - shows opposite on rebound (+/-) and compression(-/+). On the instruction video mountain pass puts out they say stiff is clockwise and soft is counter clockwise.

So I am asking this newbie question. The - rebound =soft and + compression = soft?

Last edited:
I might me over thinking things here but on the rear suspension + and - shows opposite on rebound (+/-) and compression(-/+). On the instruction video mountain pass puts out they say stiff is clockwise and soft is counter clockwise.

So I am asking this newbie question. The - rebound =soft and + compression = soft?
Adjust for softer compression/rebound by turning towards the Minus sign which is higher numbers. Smaller numbers are stiffer but better for handling. Currently at 10R/12C, 7-19-20 (my soft settings). For twisties, 8R/10C). Rebound at the top, compression at the bottom.
Clockwise or counterclockwise depends on how you look at the shock. Just follow the + and - directions.
20200410_154528.jpg
20200411_121033.jpg

Adjust for softer compression/rebound by turning towards the Minus sign which is higher numbers. Smaller numbers are stiffer but better for handling. Currently at 10R/12C, 7-19-20 (my soft settings). For twisties, 8R/10C). Rebound at the top, compression at the bottom.
Clockwise or counterclockwise depends on how you look at the shock. Just follow the + and - directions.View attachment 648417View attachment 648418
Thanks make sense. I got to redo my settings. My compression is turned from full soft. I had turned them the same direction as rebound.