Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple CA Supercharger locations down in past 5 months: breakdowns, vandalism, or theft?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would add a lot of money to construction. They'd have to allow fire fighting. It's not clear to me how to achieve this inexpensively. Maybe working on better cabinet security is a better idea: hidden cameras, license plate readers, fast alarms on the cabinet doors with security guard (and police, if available) intervention, etc. (Most freeway SuperChargers are intentionally placed in such a manner that they end up being far from nearest law enforcement.) But that would be expensive, too.

Looking at it long term, how often do theft culprits get caught? It might be enough to save on the cost of constructing bunkers. Meanwhile, saving that money and spending it instead on higher density allows the system to be resilient. Just running the numbers through my head: $14,000 breaker + losses due to work and downtime. Additional cost of bunker style cabinet room with additional heavy air movement ducting and fans: around $30,000? Seems rather similar. If it pencils out to cheaper to do it the current way as long as it doesn't severely impact business, then that seems OK. Grainger always inflates everything 2x to 10x. So, let's presume that breaker is closer to $1,400: Then, suddenly the bunker is 10x the cost of the current air-cooled method.

I'm not trying to downplay how irritating it was to bypass to a Chademo, then drive slow and bypass to Gilroy S.C., but it wasn't really that bad all things considered; I'd say a loss of an hour (including the Chademo I had to use), and in the grand scheme of things OK if it is rare. Compare that in aggregate against the cost to bunkerize the SC, and it seems almost ridiculous to go the super-severe route (except in high prone areas).

The new feature that the in-car map tells you when a SuperCharger is down is extremely helpful. I've heard it is unreliable, so it still needs backups and such, but it sure saved me last night.

If the long distance charging paradigm doesn't change much soon, then I'm finding I have a need to get out and walk around and get some food and use bathroom when I'm at a SuperCharger (in short, to handle my energy needs coincident with my car's as well as exercise which is the opposite of my car), and one of the problems I'm having with that right now is that many of the SuperChargers are located where those amenities are not as available as say a Shell, Chevron or ArcoAMPM with minimarts. I was looking forward to the walk over to Love's in Gustine, and getting everything I needed there. Then, when I got to Gilroy, none of that was available (Denny's had a line and everything else was closed). So, it may come to be that future SuperChargers get located in more fuel-stop style style places such as current well equipped well lit (some even 24 hour) gas stations. If that happens, then the types of security available would be different: more traffic, more potential for mischievous people around, and more eyeballs to see what happens in case someone is bad. Suddenly, cultural norms for that area would be prominent in the equation.
If Tesla called for volunteers for a "neighborhood watch" patrol, I bet they'd have thousands of volunteers. I'd be pleased to work a shift or two at the SC closest to us. Any hours-- any time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulmo and callmesam
Was at Manteca Thursday and tried to plugged into I think was the 2nd stall. Charging ring remained red. Plugged into two other times same thing. Yesterday tried to charge at Roseville and took the very last stall and similarly it would not charge. Moved to another stall and it was charging very slow I think 28kWh so I left to charge in Rocklin. By the time I left, there were two other cars waiting to charge even though I didn't notice any cars leave while I was there. I also noticed that the original Folsom SC with 4 chargers showed reduced charging from Navigation.

Hrm. I charged on Stall 2A at Manteca on Friday morning (yesterday) and everything was normal as far as I could tell.

Bruce.

I think I created some confusion. It has been pointed out to me that the "new" chargers I saw at Barstow are actually "temporary" chargers which are used when heavy traffic is expected, or repairs are being done on the main facility. Any current updates from Barstow?

I had a nice long chat with the security guard at Barstow on Saturday. She said Barstow was now under 24 hour surveillance because the last attack they suffered the perps spray painted the security cam. She also told me that Tesla was putting a lot of pressure on her security firm to catch thes guys. When I asked if these were just folks who didn't like EV's, she said not likely. In her experience, these guys seemed too well prepared. She was also told that the attacks in Primm and Las Vegas appeared to be identical attacks.

In other news, she also told me that it was her understanding that Tesla planned to install SC's along the entire west side of the parking lot. That would increase the total to something like 24 chargers.

I just saw a white pre-facelift S here at Harris Ranch. A Tesla employee got out, took some fluid out of the frunk, and poured it into one of the enclosures. I asked about the vandalism and he was a little cagey about it. I suppose they don't want to stoke any fear among the owner base.

• Informative
Reactions: McManX
I just saw a white pre-facelift S here at Harris Ranch. A Tesla employee got out, took some fluid out of the frunk, and poured it into one of the enclosures
Do you mean poured the fluid into one of the pedestals? (The stand that the charging cable attaches to). If so I assume a panel has to be removed. Or one of the enclosures that surround the charging cabinets and high voltage hardware?

Does any one know if there are still 24hour guards on duty or what the resolution to this issue might have been?

I know that there was a security guard posted at the Fresno Supercharger during daylight hours for about two months during in the May-June-July period, but have not seen one since. I charged at Gustine about three weeks ago on a weekday around 2:30 PM and no security guard was present.

Whether there are guards present at these locations on graveyard shift or not, I do not know.

• Informative
Reactions: beths11
I know that there was a security guard posted at the Fresno Supercharger during daylight hours for about two months during in the May-June-July period, but have not seen one since. I charged at Gustine about three weeks ago on a weekday around 2:30 PM and no security guard was present.

Whether there are guards present at these locations on graveyard shift or not, I do not know.
I can't remember which months, but I remember seeing graveyard security at Buttonwillow and Gilroy. I'm a night owl so I'm frequently supercharging after midnight. I think I posted about it in the Buttonwillow thread as up to that point, no one had mentioned security being present so it was news to the forum.