Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Music skipping with UHFS with USB, flac

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to play Slacker a few times - to play a specific song - but that feature has been broken for a while (at least in my car), so I haven't been using Slacker - and I'm still getting all of the USB/media playback problems - requiring frequent reboots.

Last night, was playing a USB song - and the system stopped continuing to play the last note. I was able to recover by skipping back to the beginning of the song - and it played properly all of the way through. I've also had the system automatically skip forward to a new song or back to the beginning of the current song - while playing a USB song.

It's very likely the problem is not actually in the media playback software - but elsewhere in the system. Since the processor running the audio system is also doing other things, it could be there's a bug in one of the other "subsystems" that is causing interference with the audio software, which could make this type of problem more difficult to find - and could also be the reason why I've seen periodic problems with the navigation software - where it stops updating the screen or the navigation software begins displaying a different route in Google maps than what is being displayed in the navigation "dashboard".

When "sleep mode" was first implemented, it caused problems with the audio software - and disabling sleep mode fixed the problems. So far, I haven't been able to find any similar simple workaround to get the software back to being reliable.

Really wish Tesla would listen to their owners - and expand their beta to more of their customers. Among Tesla's "early adopter" customers for the Model S, there are a number of us with considerable background in developing and testing software - and could help them considerably during the testing phase in finding and diagnosing problems - when they have developers actively working on the software. I've tried to do what I can to help - by submitting many "bug reports" via e-mail or through the on board system, but by the time the software gets into production mode, most of their software team has likely moved on to the next major release - so fixing bugs appears to take longer (or they never get fixed in the current release, and we have to wait until the fold the fix into the next major release, like v7).

I have had a lot of problems with audio skipping, heavily from USB playback, but also some from the radio. It all started the day after the latest 7.0 release. I tested the flash drive elsewhere and everything is fine, and the same songs and audio books don't skip in the same place if I replay the same file, so it's pretty clear it's the car's software. Has anyone found a solution? The problem is getting more frequent.

I listen to podcasts and it started to skip bad after 7.0. I copied the podcast to another usb thumb drive but the skipping continued. I rebooted the screen (hold both scroll wheels in until it reboots) and the problem was solved. I hate rebooting because I have to re-enter user names and passwords on bookmarks that require them, and there's a lot. I wish it retained that info after rebooting and also after taking an update.

Try an SSD?

You could have a RAID array of SSD devices, but that doesn't address the issue. There are inherent limitations of the USB 2.0 interface, the AD implementation, and the AV bus in the model S. Without knowing the specifics of all aspects of their implementation, we cannot say what is responsible for the dropout issue with high resolution files. It could be hardware, software, or some combination.

I have to reboot almost daily because of the music skipping. It's getting really bad, and it has nothing to do with the hardware being used to store the music. Happens with Slacker, USB drive, and flash drive. Never used to happen pre-6.2. Rebooting the main screen (hold two scroll wheels) always fixes the issue--temporarily.

The skipping started with 6.2 and got very much worse with 7.0.

If you don't experience it for some reason, consider yourself lucky.

I have reported about 5 fairly significant bugs through the in-car reporting system and not heard about fixes to any yet.

I think it's skipping because of a memory leak which is causing swapping and eventually it can't keep up. Rebooting temporarily fixes it.

I am with you on this thought. It is possible that the player app has set up a buffer landing area and either the buffer or the address pointers are getting overlayed.
The other thing it could be is the bus used to convey music files from the media to the player app is experiencing a few IO errors, and player is submitting re-reads to the media.