Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Gives Details on FSD 10.2 Beta Release

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla will release the next version of it’s Full Self Driving Beta on October 8, Chief Executive Elon Musk said in a tweet.

The company released last week version 10.1 of the software, which included a button to request access to the beta. Tesla previously only gave access to employees and select owners.

By requesting access, owners give Tesla permission to evaluate their driving to create a Safety Score. The Safety Score is an assessment of driving behavior based on five metrics called Safety Factors. These are combined to estimate the likelihood that driving could result in a future collision.

Musk said drivers will need to have a near perfect score in the early roll out.

“First few days probably 100/100, then 99, 98, etc.,” Musk tweeted.

Tesla’s self-driving system is currently under scrutiny from federal investigators after a series of crashes when Autopilot was engaged.

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience has been that on normal autopilot, I still can get a ding when someone merges in too closely in front of me. However, on "navigate on autopilot" I get no dings for this whatsoever. Unfortunately, can only use NOA on the interstates at this point, so on surface roads and at busy times, I still occasionally get dinged for others unsafe behavior with normal autopilot. I've confirmed this numerous times as I tried to avoid the issue by using AP. Nonetheless, not a major issue as long as it is only the Unsafe Following that takes a hit as that seems to have a very low impact on your overall score. The hard braking though that sometimes occurs / is required has a couple of times knocked me down a full or more percentage point(s). I feel fortunate to be back up to 99%, for the moment anyway.
Same with TACC. There was a dump truck parked on the side of the road this morning, I was using TACC, I moved over to pass the truck, got the red collision warning as I passed the truck. Mind, I was no where near hitting that truck, but I got the warning and my “safety score” for that drive was like 49. I was able to end the day with a 97 at least.

• Helpful
Reactions: DogStar1
Yeah - the Safety Score's thresholds for aggressive turning and hard braking are really too punitive. I end up being THAT guy on the road leaving waaaaay too much space, going way too slow, etc so that I don't become "unsafe" by braking like a normal driver. I'd swear I've become a less safe driver as a result, and this car is sure a helluva lot LESS fun to drive knowing that Unca Elon is watching. We'll see how it goes for this week and maybe next, but otherwise, I'm gonna unenroll and drive my car like a normal person.
This

Reactions: THXULTRA
I'm frustrated too. The measures/criteria for 'turns' and 'hard braking' seem to be way too sensitive for normal driving, in particular, responding to the traffic situation, e.g., cars moving in front of you and having to turn across lanes with oncoming traffic or turning onto or off of sloped roads which I suspect kicks up the 'g' measure.
It would be really helpful if Tesla provided real-time indicators of each parameter so the driver could correlate his actions and or the situation with any "out-of-tolerance" indicator. In fact, I think that would be a great thing to include in the final FSD version.