Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk Says Semi Will Best Specs Announced at Launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The specs Tesla announced for its upcoming Semi outpaced the industry standard to such a degree that it raised eyebrows. Daimler AG’s head of trucks has even gone so far as to question the legitimacy of Tesla’s claims.

“If Tesla really delivers on this promise, we’ll obviously buy two trucks – one to take apart and one to test because if that happens, something has passed us by,” Martin Daum said at an industry event this week, according to Bloomberg. “But for now, the same laws of physics apply.”

Tesla has said the Semi is capable of  0 to 60 mph in 20 seconds with an 80,000 pound load; Speed up a 5% Grade at 60 mph; 300 or 500 miles of range depending on the model; energy consumption of less than 2 kWh per mile; and fuel savings of more than $200,000 over a million miles.

Now, in the face of naysayers, Elon Musk is saying the Semi will do better than the first specs announced.

“Am feeling optimistic about beating the Semi specs announced at the unveiling for the same price,” he said Friday in a tweet. “The Tesla Semi will be something really special.”

The Tesla Semi is slated to go into production next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 8th sense tells me this is yet another over-promise happening like the FSD in "3 months yes, 6 months definitely".

The thing is, even without any over promise, Musk and his team have been delivering much more than anyone thought it was possible. But the over-promise just has a way of dampening his significant achievements.

(... when are economists ever correct ...)
Almost always ... eventually. ...
Oh, I get it.
Like a broken [best case as in not running] watch which is either correct once or twice a day depending on analog or digital mode.

side note: one of the best economist today is an immigrant from Scotland (wife is German) - Mark Blyth - Mark Blyth – Author, Teacher, Political Economist, Rabble Rouser
"Who Predicted Trump and Brexit Explains How Baby Boomers Ruined Everything. ... Not long ago, Mark Blyth, a professor of political economy at Brown University's Watson Institute, put forth a theory on how the current state of capitalism [and current political systems] and he predicted Trump and Brexit."
Mark Blyth | Watson Institute

almost any of his talks on YouTube worth listening time - pick your favorite venue or topic

One suggestion: you may want to make the autonomous driving feature truck driver friendly. Companies like Amazon not thinking of job displacement are likely to face a back lash at some point. As Elon said disruptive technology should have an overall benefit to society. I recently got a Lyft ride from an older gentleman who was worried about autonomous driving taking his job. We all need to think about the affects of technology and focus on doing the right thing for all of us on planet earth.
At first I was surprised the Semi launch did not mention Fully Self Driving as a buyable feature or a future goal. But I can see why. It is because announcing that now could backlash and be taken as a treat in the trucking industry.

If every truck was autonomous, Tesla could own every truck and sell transport as a service. Now I'm fairly certain they plan to do that in the future, but that would not be a selling point now to compete with their customers.

That's why it's being announced as just a drivers assistance for now (Autopilot), and not containing any autonomous features.

At first I was surprised the Semi launch did not mention Fully Self Driving as a buyable feature or a future goal. But I can see why. It is because announcing that now could backlash and be taken as a treat in the trucking industry.

If every truck was autonomous, Tesla could own every truck and sell transport as a service. Now I'm fairly certain they plan to do that in the future, but that would not be a selling point now to compete with their customers.

That's why it's being announced as just a drivers assistance for now (Autopilot), and not containing any autonomous features.

The cost per mile given for the 3 truck convoy during the reveal is only possible if it reduces the number of paid drivers. Tesla's first target customers are the companies that need things moved, not the drivers who currently move them.

If they are fully autonomous, then Tesla might spare some money on seats, heaters, window wipers, mirrors, screens, name it. There ain't a driver anyway, so why make things for that driver?

Scattered thoughts:
There are currently aspects of the load unload phase of the trip that are easier done by hand. Especially since trailers/ air lines can't hook/unhook themselves (yet).

Cab 403B, go to the lot and take trailer 1397 to GF1. Remember to check the tires and secure the rear door and load before leaving.

Those items can be handled by people on either end of the trip, but you are still constrained to a remote control system for directing the final positioning. With autopark and GPS, they probably could do it now. And that might be part of the convoy system, auto backing to dock.

Ultimately, auto only may not happened till there are huge fleets. It would save less than 10% (maybe 5% : 3k in screens, 2k in seat, need wipers for cameras, heaters for electronic and defrost, but say another 3k for that, total of 8k on 180k truck, then add in cost for new attach/detach features) of initial cost and removes many usability cases (single truck, lead truck, driver load/ unload). Once level 5 is a thing for semis, that might tip the scales.

Scattered thoughts:
There are currently aspects of the load unload phase of the trip that are easier done by hand. Especially since trailers/ air lines can't hook/unhook themselves (yet).

Cab 403B, go to the lot and take trailer 1397 to GF1. Remember to check the tires and secure the rear door and load before leaving.

Those items can be handled by people on either end of the trip, but you are still constrained to a remote control system for directing the final positioning. With autopark and GPS, they probably could do it now. And that might be part of the convoy system, auto backing to dock.

Ultimately, auto only may not happened till there are huge fleets. It would save less than 10% (maybe 5% : 3k in screens, 2k in seat, need wipers for cameras, heaters for electronic and defrost, but say another 3k for that, total of 8k on 180k truck, then add in cost for new attach/detach features) of initial cost and removes many usability cases (single truck, lead truck, driver load/ unload). Once level 5 is a thing for semis, that might tip the scales.
Oké, but still, seatbelts, airbags, name it, there are so many things that can just as good be removed soon.
And, if they can make an autopilot, they can also make an auto onhooker/unhooker I guess. They already can check the tire pressure in their current Tesla's and there are already caravans that can drive with a remote controll system.

Yes Elon said on Twitter last night that he expects the final specs to be better then already announced last year.
Would it help if Elon prefaced ALL of his statements with the disclaimer "In my opinion,,," Most of the naysayers seemed to be getting caught up on the fact that his statements are being stated in 'Good Faith' but are not taken being received in good faith?
Case in point, the amount of cash burn. They cringe at the amount of capitol being spent to make it all happen, yet can't seem to grasp that if he doesn't build it, it can't produce one single car, semis, solar panel, battery, you know -Squat!
Pull Back People, do your own research and if it looks good to you long term, buy into it. If not, RUN
I, for one, will do my own research and trust me. I won't be blaming you for my success or failures.
Bring On those Tesla products, can't happen soon enough for me.
NOTE: In no way are my comments to be misconstrued as negativity towards anyone :)

Reactions: Kacey Green
Peter Thomas said:
One suggestion: you may want to make the autonomous driving feature truck driver friendly. Companies like Amazon not thinking of job displacement are likely to face a back lash at some point. As Elon said disruptive technology should have an overall benefit to society. I recently got a Lyft ride from an older gentleman who was worried about autonomous driving taking his job. We all need to think about the affects of technology and focus on doing the right thing for all of us on planet earth.

Elon,
Wouldn't it be better for society if you could eventually sell fully autonomous trucks to the individual truck driver as a preference over companies so that the truck driver could have income from her or his autonomous truck and provide some value added in maintaining the truck and other value added logistics? I think this would win over both truck drivers and companies since the companies have less capital expenditure and the trucks could service multiple companies as it goes back and forth across the country. I think you would need to limit the number of trucks a driver could purchase so that one driver who has access to capital does not dominate the ownership and revenue of the trucks. This could be the model for Lyft as well, so that Lyft could be much more price competitive than Uber since Uber's plan is probably like Wamo which is to buy all the vehicles them selves so they have all the income hence the huge capital raise needed by Uber and the huge valuation based on expected revenue. Greed and total dominance s not always the best pathway. Why not share things with others to make the world a better place. I know a lot of people who would take Lyft just on principle if driver ownership of Teslas was encouraged since it helps so many other people who need the income to live. Just my 2 cents.

Peter Thomas said:

Elon,
Wouldn't it be better for society if you could eventually sell fully autonomous trucks to the individual truck driver as a preference over companies so that the truck driver could have income from her or his autonomous truck and provide some value added in maintaining the truck and other value added logistics? I think this would win over both truck drivers and companies since the companies have less capital expenditure and the trucks could service multiple companies as it goes back and forth across the country. I think you would need to limit the number of trucks a driver could purchase so that one driver who has access to capital does not dominate the ownership and revenue of the trucks. This could be the model for Lyft as well, so that Lyft could be much more price competitive than Uber since Uber's plan is probably like Wamo which is to buy all the vehicles them selves so they have all the income hence the huge capital raise needed by Uber and the huge valuation based on expected revenue. Greed and total dominance s not always the best pathway. Why not share things with others to make the world a better place. I know a lot of people who would take Lyft just on principle if driver ownership of Teslas was encouraged since it helps so many other people who need the income to live. Just my 2 cents.
I think you'd enjoy/learn some reading on this area. How about trying internet search such as -

independent owned Semi trucks vs company owned

One of my pet peeves about trucking are the hours worked see Trucking industry in the United States - Wikipedia

"As of July 1, 2013, a driver is limited to 11 hours of actual driving within a 14-hour period, and requires a 30-minute break during the first 8 hours of on duty time. After which he/she must rest for 10 hours.[53] The rules do not explicitly require that a driver must sleep, only that a driver must take a period of "rest" within the sleeper berth or off duty (i.e., at home)."

"Keeping track of a driver's HOS requires the use of a log book.[54] A truck driver's log book is a legally defined form containing a grid outlining the 24-hour day into 15-minute increments. The driver must specify where and when he/she stopped between driving shifts, what duties were performed (if any), along with the driver's name, truck number, company info, and other information. The driver must also present his or her log book to authorities upon request, for inspection. In lieu of a log book, a motor carrier may substitute an electronic on-board recorder to record the driver's hours.[55]"

EOBR=Electronic On Board Recorders - required for decades in Europe. Trucks seldom speed as speeds are continuously recorded.
So EOBR is also worth reading about.

Here is a fairly good summary of US vs Europe trucking.
America and Europe — Keep on Trucking - The Globalist

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Thanks, those are helpful links.
With autonomous driving, this would solve all these issues and reduce the amount of trucks required to move freight and reduce truck traffic since they could operate 24 hours a day and be coordinated to avoid traffic. In addition, if coordinated well with rail transit of containerized freight where freight is transported longhall across the country by train the cost of freight transport could be further reduced. Some of the current truck drivers could be offered to buy Tesla cars for Lyft service so that way as the number of trucks are reduced, drivers still have a way to earn a living by providing capital for Lyft service.
Perhaps it would make sense to develop a Semi App like Lyft and try it out on shipping of components necessary for the Model 3 and Model S to optimize the logistics and costs and provide an opportunity to get drivers involved as well. The idea would be lowering the cost of shipping materials and components to Tesla in the long term there by decreasing overall t costs. This data could then be shown to other companies like Aerospace, other vehicle companies and other companies where shipping costs are a significant factor.

I was also thinking that the government should provide Lyft and Semi with tax incentives if they are willing to help drivers transition to a new job of maintaining and ,managing vehicle maintenance and other value added logistics. I think this would be more preferable then Amazon receiving tax benefits for putting more people out of work. Just my 2 cents.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
Perhaps US Banksters could offer "reasonable" loans for electric trucks?
Perhaps one of our billionaires could could start a "fund for electrification of trucks" ?

Many of your thoughts Peter seem obvious enough - and the larger companies won't ignore the economics and have plenty of capital to invest in savings. It is main street, middle class, independent companies that can't get reasonable loan rates in Brando's Opinion.

Corporatism may have too many advantages, my worry.

US was a middle class driven economy after WWII. One worker families. Top wages & benefits.
Now I fear a War, Bankster/Wall street, big Pharma, big Ag dominated economy. Slippery slope [decline] started about 1980. Some might say with Vietnam.