Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Says to Expect ‘Major Increases’ in Supercharger, Urban Charger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk said Wednesday that “Major increases in the Supercharger and Tesla urban charger network” will happen in the next several months.

In April, Tesla published a blog post that said it intends to double Supercharger count to 10,000 and Destination Charging connectors to 15,000 around the world. The company plans to add more than 1,000 Superchargers in California alone.

Tesla’s urban charger network aims to accommodate Tesla owners in apartments without private garages for charging. The company created a version of its Superchargers “with slightly less power” to be installed in locations like apartment garages without adding too much stress on the utility grid. Adding more convenience and practicality to charging could encourage potential buyers in those urban locations.

With production of 500,000 Model 3s expected in 2018, there will certainly continue to be demand for more charging convenience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? Summary for those of you who don't want to spend the time (because it's really not worth it):
Musk just had a Tweet that referenced their earlier blog post from April that said they would be building out the Supercharger network a lot.

I will believe it when I see it.. but even if they achieve half of what Musk claims, thats a big win.

I recently drove from Dallas to Austin and back with my family and stayed there for a day with plenty of local driving, but couldn't take my S because there is no Supercharger (yet) in Austin. And I didn't want to invest time in hunting for an L2 or other slow charging options. I understand that Austin SC build out is on hold pending some approvals from some agencies.

Seeing it happen.. and it was a nice stealthy surprise!! Not many, if any, Tesla owners saw this one coming..

Now we're just days away from the opening of an 8 port SC within Edmonton city limits, located at a mall, located at a junction of major crossroads in the city.

Guess who's got a new favorite shopping place in town?

I bought my Tesla three years ago on the promise and hope that SC's would appear some day making highway travel feasible. That became a reality when a critical mid-highway location opened up a year later. And since, more of those... I can go anywhere I need now without worry of range... my 85 is all I'll need.

Now this urban location.. 5 minutes from where I work. I don't even have to plan when I want to get up and go on a trip. Can do it on a whim and launch onto the SC superhighway any minute of any day.

Best thing about having a legacy S is the free supercharging :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 person
Looking at the placement of the double quotes in the first sentence, the article above sounds like this: "Over the next few months, there will be major increases in Tesla's Supercharger and urban charger networks." However, I think Elon means this: "Over the next several months, there will be major increases in Superchargers and Tesla will launch an urban charger network."

UlAMZ91.gif

Source: Twitter

The way I read Elon's tweet, based on his grammar, "Supercharger and Tesla urban charger network" is the object of the sentence and the subject is "Major increases". So it applies to both objects equally. And in my opinion the Tesla "urban charger network" consists of Superchargers in urban environments. Of which there are already many examples.
Looking at the placement of the double quotes in the first sentence, the article above sounds like this: "Over the next few months, there will be major increases in Tesla's Supercharger and urban charger networks." However, I think Elon means this: "Over the next several months, there will be major increases in Superchargers and Tesla will launch an urban charger network."

UlAMZ91.gif

Source: Twitter

So maybe Tesla finally signed an agreement with a major mall or super store(s) like Fred Meyer. There have been several SC put at Fred Meyer stores, so maybe corporate finally has enough data showing that Tesla owners do actually go into the stores and spend money. Hmmmm, I guess we'll see.

@ecarfan, I guess we will find out soon. In the meantime, here are a few data points to support my Urbanchargers theory:

1. Tesla needs to launch the Urbanchargers network so they can charge a fee including to those who have free long distance supercharging. This was actually one of my predictions from last year. See #1 here.
2. I'm not the only person reading it this way. There is a Reddit topic here.
3. During the last conference call, JB admitted there are supercharger congestion issues in cities. You can listen here. Therefore it makes sense they had a discussion about this and decided it's time to launch the Urbanchargers network they had been planning on for a while.
4. The timing of this new network matches the timing of the Model 3 and the timing of free supercharging coming to an end. In my version, this is not a coincidence. In the other version, there is no new network, despite lots of Model 3s joining the existing Tesla fleet. I guess that's also possible but sounds less exciting.

Last edited:
Nope. Edmonton is Canada. See a few posts up, maybe you missed that one.
Edmonton doesn't help those of us in SK, MB, Northern ON, and the Maritimes.

It also falls into the "already built" category, not the "to be built" category. Musk is talking about upcoming expansion, not what's already here. The upcoming expansion does nothing to expand coverage in Canada.

Edmonton doesn't help those of us in SK, MB, Northern ON, and the Maritimes.

It also falls into the "already built" category, not the "to be built" category. Musk is talking about upcoming expansion, not what's already here. The upcoming expansion does nothing to expand coverage in Canada.

Well, it "was being built" and "not open" prior to Elon's semi-annual pronouncement, so I gave him credit for a speedy urban opening. Keeps the magic alive.

Now back to you. You don't want urban first. You want to see the first Sask SC to be in maybe Wilton or Marshall, maybe Lloydminster... half way to Edmonton. Then you'd be able to zip back and forth, bringing all your stuff over, and move here. We love the Riders you'd feel right at home.

Once here you're on the SC network to anywhere USA.

So, preference is in this order:
#1 get bridged to the SC network first. Red Deer was our bridge.
#2 urban is a bonus. We just got the bonus.

Remember that Sask sides with the west! MB is on the middle and, who cares? Those other places down east we never go.. They have to fight for themselves.

Last edited:
Now back to you. You don't want urban first. You want to see the first Sask SC to be in maybe Wilton or Marshall, maybe Lloydminster... half way to Edmonton. Then you'd be able to zip back and forth, bringing all your stuff over, and move here. We love the Riders you'd feel right at home.
If I could afford a S 100D I could just drive to Red Deer and from there go South.

That being said, if I won a lottery I'd so be moving to Edmonton.

A couple of months ago I stumbled across some stories about a net-zero house available to be built in Edmonton, for just under $400K. That includes the house, lot, garage, taxes, energy saving upgrades, and 10KW of solar panels.

168. Dawning of the age of affordable net-zero homes - Green Energy Futures

Solar powered home