Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mustang Mach-E Gets Great Reviews = Model 3 Challenger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish Ford all the best. The more competition in EVs the better. They do badly need to work on their charging infrastructure and process though.

I actually did a short test drive in a Mach-e before getting the MY. I thought it well built, handled well, and I liked its looks. The salesman though hardly knew anything about the EV, they only had 1 in stock and no idea when they'd be getting more. That, when combined with a youtube video of a road trip with a MY and a Mach-e (that showed glaring issues with the fast charging for the Ford) tipped the balance to getting the Y.

I've subsequently read a report, attached, on the relative efficiencies of rapid charging with different EVs. The Model 3 comes out near the top and the Ford near the bottom.

1620502613144.png

Attachments

• P3-Charging-Index-Update2021-en-1.pdf
    5 MB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Yeah I saw that story and then went to do a Google search and came up empty….. so the dude has owned several Tesla’s and the Mach-E is the best EV has owned lol

The car you just bought is always the best car for you, at least for the first day! It would be interesting to follow up with him after he's familiarized himself with the car. He's a dentist in Trinity, FL.

The article struck me as "fishy". Then I noticed it didn't have a "by line" and wasn't affiliated with any known publication. So, it's just a story written by an unknown person and posted to the Mach e forum by a person who admitted in previous posts he worked at Ford (Trutolife27).

I wish Ford all the best. The more competition in EVs the better. They do badly need to work on their charging infrastructure and process though.

I actually did a short test drive in a Mach-e before getting the MY. I thought it well built, handled well, and I liked its looks. The salesman though hardly knew anything about the EV, they only had 1 in stock and no idea when they'd be getting more. That, when combined with a youtube video of a road trip with a MY and a Mach-e (that showed glaring issues with the fast charging for the Ford) tipped the balance to getting the Y.

I've subsequently read a report, attached, on the relative efficiencies of rapid charging with different EVs. The Model 3 comes out near the top and the Ford near the bottom.

View attachment 660581

Even though Tesla comes out decent in that chart, actual performance is better than indicated. Anyone who has taken road trips in various EV's can tell you there is only one charging number that matters (and it's not average kW of charging power). What matters is how many miles per hour of range you can add when charging. In other words, a more efficient vehicle will be able to cover more distance per kWh and thus be back on the road sooner. The Model 3 is even better at this than the graph above might appear to indicate. Mach e charge times are considerably longer due to it requiring a lot more energy to travel the same distance.

Even though Tesla comes out decent in that chart, actual performance is better than indicated. Anyone who has taken road trips in various EV's can tell you there is only one charging number that matters (and it's not average kW of charging power). What matters is how many miles per hour of range you can add when charging. In other words, a more efficient vehicle will be able to cover more distance per kWh and thus be back on the road sooner. The Model 3 is even better at this than the graph above might appear to indicate. Mach e charge times are considerably longer due to it requiring a lot more energy to travel the same distance.
I completely agree. Efficiency is not that much about the electricity cost saving as it is about the charging time. A lot of new EV adopters miss this as this concept does not apply to gasoline cars.

Today I've got a close look at a Mach-E and Model Y. My biggest surprise was how SMALL the Mach-E is. In the back seat, I had a had about as much leg room as in Honda Civic, and overall it reminded me of Honda HR-V size and feel. The frank is great if not for the divider though. Also, the design of the Mach-E is clearly used some ready templates from other Ford cars, which led for example to placing an air vent flow regulator behind (😕) the central screen. The Model Y is clearly a MUCH large vehicle with better design, longer range, and lower MSRP. I really have hard time understanding people buying the Mach-E. Perhaps, just because they really don't like Tesla.

Reactions: SO16 and geekfam
Today I've got a close look at a Mach-E and Model Y. My biggest surprise was how SMALL the Mach-E is. In the back seat, I had a had about as much leg room as in Honda Civic, and overall it reminded me of Honda HR-V size and feel. The frank is great if not for the divider though. Also, the design of the Mach-E is clearly used some ready templates from other Ford cars, which led for example to placing an air vent flow regulator behind (😕) the central screen. The Model Y is clearly a MUCH large vehicle with better design, longer range, and lower MSRP. I really have hard time understanding people buying the Mach-E. Perhaps, just because they really don't like Tesla.
I'm not conversant with the designs of the early history of Tesla models but I would imagine they've improved quite a bit over the years and I have confidence that Ford will continue to evolve the M-E. Hopefully their emphasis will be on charging efficiency as well as their charging network.

I'm not conversant with the designs of the early history of Tesla models but I would imagine they've improved quite a bit over the years and I have confidence that Ford will continue to evolve the M-E. Hopefully their emphasis will be on charging efficiency as well as their charging network.
I agree, but perhaps in a form different from the Mach-E. The Mach-E is okay, but it is noticeably smaller than "similar" small SUVs.

What Ford IMHO should be can improve is Navigation. It totally sucks, there are no streets on the map, wth! Yes, there supposedly should be CarPlay and AndroidAuto, but what's the point then to have the built in navigation at all then.

On the hardware side, Ford MUST ASAP add tilt to the seats adjustment. Haven't seen a vehicle for $50k+ without it.

I also spoke with some Ford customers ... about Trump, football ... and electric vehicle. They tried to figure out when the gasoline version of the Mach-E is coming out, told that the charging time makes the Mach-E totally not usable for them, and tried to convince me that in case of an accident acid will leak out of the battery all around (the argument goes like this: if there is a battery, there must be an acid). A lot of education remains to be done.

From browsing the Mach-E forums the Hate is mainly towards Musk for some reason. They claim it’s his fault there are so many Tesla accidents and they find it hard to use their peripheral vision to look at their speed on a Model Y.

Oh and also “quality” although there are several examples of Mach-Es ending up in service right after delivery to the customer

• Informative
Reactions: SO16 and geekfam
The hate might be towards Musk as well, but there's definitely a lot of anti-Tesla hate in general. Being a competitor, that's understandable to some degree and some of it is warranted (panel gaps, paint etc.), but the amount of misinformation floating around is surprising.

The Sandy Munro video where they compared the electrical system designs of the Model Y vs the Mach-e comes to mind when looking at the issues they're facing on macheforum. His gripe was with the high number of modules in the Mach-e's design which he thought could have an effect on overall reliability. Time will tell if his concerns were warranted, however, Mach-e owners have had to have modules replaced or re-flashed to fix bluetooth and other issues already, so we may not have to wait too long.

Reactions: geekfam
The hate might be towards Musk as well, but there's definitely a lot of anti-Tesla hate in general. Being a competitor, that's understandable to some degree and some of it is warranted (panel gaps, paint etc.), but the amount of misinformation floating around is surprising.

The Sandy Munro video where they compared the electrical system designs of the Model Y vs the Mach-e comes to mind when looking at the issues they're facing on macheforum. His gripe was with the high number of modules in the Mach-e's design which he thought could have an effect on overall reliability. Time will tell if his concerns were warranted, however, Mach-e owners have had to have modules replaced or re-flashed to fix bluetooth and other issues already, so we may not have to wait too long.
Yes, today for the first time I noticed I was coal rolled and then intentionally cut by two different vehicles when driving my M3.

The Mach-E is a half baked vehicle. For example, I was playing with the back door, and if you kick it slightly when it just opened it will get confused and will happily get your fingers tripped. Navigation is 20+ years old. Both hardware and software interface are not well thought through. Even if Model Y/3 doesn't exist, the Mach-E would hardly be a desirable well-engineered car.

• Disagree
Reactions: Doc Brown
Ford = Fixed. Or. Repair. Daily.

Guys. It’s a Ford. And it’s not a (real) mustang, an F150, or an SVT.

Other than the real mustang, they haven’t offered anything I would consider since the mid 2000s (GT excepting, but that car may not even exist considering price and production numbers).

Had a 2002 SVT Lightning. Sweet ride. But it was an engine and a transmission. Nothing else. Other than the mustang, I wouldnt even consider a Ford

Yes, today for the first time I noticed I was coal rolled and then intentionally cut by two different vehicles when driving my M3.

The Mach-E is a half baked vehicle. For example, I was playing with the back door, and if you kick it slightly when it just opened it will get confused and will happily get your fingers tripped. Navigation is 20+ years old. Both hardware and software interface are not well thought through. Even if Model Y/3 doesn't exist, the Mach-E would hardly be a desirable well-engineered car.
Here in S.FL, we don't see stuff like coal rolling, lol. At least, I've never seen it done intentionally. And M3s are literally getting as common as Corollas so people are used to them.

I agree on the Mach-e being a buggy mess at the moment. The ball is Ford's court. I'm curious to see how long they take to address the issues.

you have a hard time with anyone who doesn't share your opinions.
there is a reason that there are many choice, not everyone shares your hatred for ford

• Disagree
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
I have been driving EVs since 2012, I have driven the car around 2/3 of the USA, I have never encountered coal rolling or any other animosity towards EVs. most people love to ask questions about owning the car and are quite interested in my experiences with the EVs.
if you being harassed in your model 3 maybe it isn't the fact that it is an EV.

Reactions: kindofblue
I have been driving EVs since 2012, I have driven the car around 2/3 of the USA, I have never encountered coal rolling or any other animosity towards EVs. most people love to ask questions about owning the car and are quite interested in my experiences with the EVs.
if you being harassed in your model 3 maybe it isn't the fact that it is an EV.
Sorry, but this just isn’t true. At all. Here in NYC the hands down biggest jerks on the road are those driving modified pickups who typically hold political views that are at odds with the way this region votes. Moved here in 2016 and they were the biggest jerks on the road, since the pandemic hit they have only gotten worse. They brake check people, cut people off, and generally drive aggressively. I noticed this while driving an loud V8 caddy sedan, but during those 5 years here, only once was such behavior directed towards me.
In 2 months of owning my Tesla I’ve been brake checked no less than 5 times by these yahoos. Cut off several more. And diesel dumped twice.

It’s a thing. And certain drivers in this region look at an EV and make assumptions about the driver. These people are the very reason that mainstream conservatives like myself have been driven out of the Republican Party. The politicization and of issues that shouldn’t be politicized has gone completely off the rails after a portion of the party couldn’t handle Obama being elected. Suddenly common sense went out the window, and tribalism came in. I’ve seen it in so many aspects of my life, but since starting to drive an EV, now I’m seeing it directed at me with a higher frequency.

Sorry, but this just isn’t true. At all. Here in NYC the hands down biggest jerks on the road are those driving modified pickups who typically hold political views that are at odds with the way this region votes. Moved here in 2016 and they were the biggest jerks on the road, since the pandemic hit they have only gotten worse. They brake check people, cut people off, and generally drive aggressively. I noticed this while driving an loud V8 caddy sedan, but during those 5 years here, only once was such behavior directed towards me.
In 2 months of owning my Tesla I’ve been brake checked no less than 5 times by these yahoos. Cut off several more. And diesel dumped twice.

It’s a thing. And certain drivers in this region look at an EV and make assumptions about the driver. These people are the very reason that mainstream conservatives like myself have been driven out of the Republican Party. The politicization and of issues that shouldn’t be politicized has gone completely off the rails after a portion of the party couldn’t handle Obama being elected. Suddenly common sense went out the window, and tribalism came in. I’ve seen it in so many aspects of my life, but since starting to drive an EV, now I’m seeing it directed at me with a higher frequency.
Are you sure it’s brake checking? Maybe it’s phantom breaking with the trucks in question. Just throwing that out there as a possibility

Are you sure it’s brake checking? Maybe it’s phantom breaking with the trucks in question. Just throwing that out there as a possibility
Its not. I have, unfortunately, been left politically homeless by the nonsense that has ensued since Bush left office.

With 100% certainty I have seen the far right views become aggressive and vocal in this region and some of that is manifested in the road rage habits of a certain segment of the population here. I grew up in the South and don't recall this nonsense being so prevalent in Texas or Louisiana, but since 2019 (moved to NYC in 2016 summer) it has gone completely off the rails.

That said, when I was a white male driving a quintessential American muscle sedan (CTS-V), the behavior was never directed at me with one exception that was because someone felt I had cut them off. 2 months with a tesla and suddenly I'm getting coal dumped? Not a coincidence. My driving has changed zero. There are unfortunately some out there who believe that EVs are at odds with their political agenda, and they do road rage around EVs as a result.

I'm not saying these people are the norm, I'm not accusing anyone who harbors certain political views of being this person, and I'm definitely not saying all truck driving staunch Republicans are aggressive tribalistic lunatics. I'm just saying some of those people do absolutely exist, and that minority does displace their political angst on EV drivers at times.