Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 15 Issues with the Model X, that I found during delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the chrome scratches and paint scratches are actually pretty normal. there are dozens (if not hundreds) of threads and many thousands of posts about the Model S paint and chrome. its just soft and brittle, nothing you can really do about it other than paint correct it and have it wrapped/coated by a professional detailer. you're experience is quite the norm. the dent's i couldnt really see in your pictures. i think my only real concern in your list would be water coming in from the falcon wing doors but honestly due to the nature of how they open I suppose that would be expected behavior too.

I had the write down the issues before leaving the dealership. At least half of them they are already aware of.
Why on Gods green earth did you let your emotions get the best of you and accept delivery of the defective beast? I too would have loved this as a Christmas present, but I would have walked away from SC if I saw even half of the flaws when I was going to take delivery. You still haven't expressed to any of us what SC has said or done with your punch list.

If this was Tesla's first car I would say it's OK (provided they will fix it). But Tesla isn't starting any more. Delivering a car like that is ridiculous. Especially seeing the misaligned falcon wing door scratching on the car. If you sell a car for that price and make these doors a selling point, you better have it right.

Putting this in perspective, this was a very early car and TM (rightly or wrongly) was trying to push them out the door before year-end, so problems were to be expected. The good news is that I was at a Service Center today, and they said that the ones that are coming through now are much better than the early ones with almost all of the problems solved. This seems to be borne out by other posts from folks who have taken delivery recently. I'll report on mine when I receive it very soon (my soon, not TM's).

The cars going out now are getting a *lot* of attention paid to them. I suspect this is one of the reasons why many of us had projected delivery dates of Dec 17-31, and aren't seeing the cars until now.

Putting this in perspective, this was a very early car and TM (rightly or wrongly) was trying to push them out the door before year-end, so problems were to be expected. The good news is that I was at a Service Center today, and they said that the ones that are coming through now are much better than the early ones with almost all of the problems solved. This seems to be borne out by other posts from folks who have taken delivery recently. I'll report on mine when I receive it very soon (my soon, not TM's).

Thanks in advance. Please do post soon. There has been some complaints here and there, while others have nothing but positives to say. YouTube video reviews are also very positive.

I am pleased to report that the 2nd round of physical updates to my teenage VIN Model X are complete and the Service Center is heading towards the home stretch. Some parts are still on order, but the parts that have arrived have been installed. I will post details on a more appropriate thread.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to encourage early Model X buyers that the Tesla Service Centers are doing great work. Enjoy your Model X and take time to discover the issues that need attention.

I am pleased to report that the 2nd round of physical updates to my teenage VIN Model X are complete and the Service Center is heading towards the home stretch. Some parts are still on order, but the parts that have arrived have been installed. I will post details on a more appropriate thread.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to encourage early Model X buyers that the Tesla Service Centers are doing great work. Enjoy your Model X and take time to discover the issues that need attention.

Thanks for all the updates Mark. They have been extremely helpful, and recently reassuring. I plan to share my experience as well.

If I'm lucky enough to receive my Model X before mid-March when the California $2,500 CARB rebate can no longer be taken by people with higher incomes, and I notice problems at the service center, will I be able to take delivery anyway in order to get the rebate, license plates, and white HOV sticker processes moving along, or will I have to leave it with Tesla to have everything fixed first?

If I'm lucky enough to receive my Model X before mid-March when the California $2,500 CARB rebate can no longer be taken by people with higher incomes, and I notice problems at the service center, will I be able to take delivery anyway in order to get the rebate, license plates, and white HOV sticker processes moving along, or will I have to leave it with Tesla to have everything fixed first?

Yeah, just make sure you have a list of items that Tesla is obligated to fix after delivery. Unless there's something where they aren't comfortable or you aren't comfortable taking delivery until it is fixed. (i.e someone had some Falcon wing door alignment issues that I wouldn't have taken delivery with).

I am still very concerned that the Falcon Wing doors are a complete waste of time. Really, Elon Musk is a great guy that I have enormous respect for, but no one makes the right call every single time. In my opinion this was the wrong call.

Positives:
1 - Make loading your small child into a car seat easier.
2 - Allow easier entry to the third row seats.
3 - Allow the door to open with great ease in a tight spot.
4 - Marketing. Apparently people like gimmicks and this creates free press.

Negatives:
1 - Complicated, looking like they can be prone to failure. (probable)
2 - Added expense, both in engineering and manufacturing, and consequently the price.
3 - Most probably delayed the Model X launch by a year (unverifiable)

I'll also add that on point 2 of the positives, it looks like the 6 seat option is proving very popular, almost alleviating the positive. Most people who sit in the third row are kids anyway, and they have no problems climbing over anything regardless, its like a little adventure to them!

I just don't think any of the positives outweigh the negatives. I put the self presenting doors in this category too. I have never once though opening the door to my car is a hassle.

Everyone already loved the Model S, it doesn't have gimmicks, its just brilliant. The Model X would have been fine as the same car, just with 2 extra seats (or make that 1 extra!).

Adam.

I agree with all this. As a car guy with 30 years in the industry, I knew when I saw them that these would be very difficult to build right (which translates into lots of extra cost and time to get into production). The falcon doors add weight & complexity, and have got to be a nightmare for the quality department. Don't forget extra warranty cost. When I saw these doors, I changed my mind about getting an X, and will be getting a Model S instead.

That said, all the concerns listed in the punchlist should have been caught by QC before shipping; here's hoping that QC and Repair will get better with time & experience... otherwise warranty costs will continue to spiral out of control...

Personal choice, but unless is was something truly awful (FWD falls off), I would take deliver to keep the State happy, then schedule a service appointment to work through your punchiest. Other issues aside, Tesla does work hard to make it right. For things like scratches and dents, take pics at delivery to document them.

Understandably some worries here about quality.

Just to put it into some context in 2008 I purchased an Audi A5, the model was about a year old at that tiem and the number of defects makes your X look unblemished.

As long as the SC look after you, I would say enjoy the vehicle and dont let the issues spoil your experience.