Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2011 Leaf needs a new battery - CPO or repair and wait?

Which should I do?

• Repair the battery. $2,000 and get the Model 3 whenever it comes out.

Votes: 77 78.6%
  • Don't repair Leaf and wait for Model 3

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Trade the Leaf in. Buy a CPO P85 or 85. Don't buy the Model 3.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Trade the Leaf in. Buy a CPO P85 or 85. And trade it in to buy the Model 3.

Votes: 9 9.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The California law doesn't affect any EV whose sales agreement says, "We don't cover the 'gradual' loss of capacity".

So, replacing the battery will raise the value of the LEAF in many ways. But insurable value isn't one of them. I wish Nissan would be as nice to me as they were to you. But it will be next year before the capacity hits the 8-bar level. My car was on the ship after yours. Now that I've learned how to read the Gid meter and push to the limits, I would be a kick to have a new battery. But, in reality, the current 50 mile limit doesn't affect my daily driving.

How did you get Nissan to pay for 2/3rds the cost of a new pack? I also dropped to 8 bars 2 months past capacity warranty and they just gave me the finger. Dealer wouldn't do anything, EV hotline denied any out of warranty assistance. Going to try BBB arbitration but have been dragging my heels.

Like the others - absolutely take Nissan's offer and wait. A new battery will make the car feel new again and will last at least another 5 years.

I voted to pay the $2K, as that's not much to pay for a restored LEAF. That would buy you some time.

However, I also like the option of trading in (or selling) the LEAF as-is and buying a CPO Tesla if that's something you could comfortably afford to do in the near future. You could even keep the LEAF (like we are doing with our LEAF) as a second car. Here, the question is whether you'd be happy with an older Tesla without the latest features. We are very happy with ours, a 2012 S-85 purchased a couple of months ago from the Buena Park, CA store.

I find it hard to believe that OP's LEAF with a new battery is not worth at least $2,000 more than it's present value so this is not a difficult choice:
  1. Upgrade the battery and sell now, pocketing the difference
  2. Upgrade and sell at your convenience
  3. Upgrade and use to car's end of life -- Cheap!
The only reason I can think to do different would be if the car is ready for the junker unrelated to the battery but OP does not write as if that is the case.

Why are you even asking this question?

Because I've wanted to own a Tesla since the Roadster and the Leaf was my "poor man's Tesla". :) The CPOs are getting into the "affordable" range.

I am surprised that Nissan decided to pony up $4K of the $6k new battery cost. I wonder how you managed that?

How did you get Nissan to pay for 2/3rds the cost of a new pack? I also dropped to 8 bars 2 months past capacity warranty and they just gave me the finger. Dealer wouldn't do anything, EV hotline denied any out of warranty assistance. Going to try BBB arbitration but have been dragging my heels

My dealer said I should ask.. and I asked. Strange that they're not helping you out. I wonder how they make their determinations. I reserved the Leaf the day it was first available... maybe that factored in but that doesn't make sense. I dunno. The dealers here in Los Angeles have been fine.

$2,000 for a new Leaf battery is a great deal. I paid around $3,500 last year to replace the measly battery on my first generation Prius. I had my heart set on getting a Model 3, so I did not want to have to buy some other car. I typically keep cars for over a decade, so it was a no-brainer for me to repair the Prius rather than forgo my dream of getting a Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: cdub
My dealer said I should ask.. and I asked. Strange that they're not helping you out. I wonder how they make their determinations. I reserved the Leaf the day it was first available... maybe that factored in but that doesn't make sense. I dunno. The dealers here in Los Angeles have been fine.
Yeah, I have no idea how they're making their determinations, either. Also reserved the first day, April 20, 2010. The rate of capacity loss is the only thing disappointing to me in the LEAF (Well, OK, I've noticed that the headlights are already starting to lose their clearcoat and the spoiler / solar panel are also showing signs of sun damage, too. Didn't expect that for another couple years at least, but at least those issues are cosmetic and not functional.)

Take the cheap battery, enjoy the car until your next one - $2k is just about a no-brainer, IMO.

Of course I could always try to convince my wife to trade her Odyssey in for one... but that's never going to happen. At least anytime soon.
Another Leaf + Odyssey household. Welcome to the club!
My 2012 Leaf is down to 9 bars. I'm waiting for that next bar to drop so I can call Nissan. I'm well out of warranty though - 71,000 miles.

Another Leaf + Odyssey household. Welcome to the club!
My 2012 Leaf is down to 9 bars. I'm waiting for that next bar to drop so I can call Nissan. I'm well out of warranty though - 71,000 miles.
Yeah I love my Leaf... I just wish the range was better. Their battery really sucks when it comes to degradation (at least the original one) - hopefully the newer batteries are better.

Well I pulled the trigger and signed the docs for the new battery with Nissan. It has the same 5 year 60,000 warranty btw.
congratulations - I would have done the same.
My dilemma coming up in April/May is the end of lease for my Leaf. I can't bear the thought of driving ICE again, but am not about to get another lease until my ☰ arrives.
Used Leafs are really cheap (well, 7-8K around here) but when Bolts and M☰'s are common, the value of a used Leaf will really tank.