Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 5-month review of driving a Model 3 that I have decided is not for me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a long-time contributor of openpilot, I've driven with the OSS stack across a Prius Prime and Rav 4 before switching to a Model 3 as I was curious what autonomy looked like on the other side of the pond.

Once the initial novelty wore off of all of the features and easter eggs, the actual day-to-day life didn't jive well with me. Autopilot is miles behind the quality of openpilot. Phantom braking, reliance on lane lines, weird driver monitoring (op uses a camera for attention tracking, wheel touch isn't required). The best way I can summarize Autopilot is very confident, especially when incorrect. I think there's a deeper uncanny valley when using the system compared to openpilot and even Toyota LTA. Less room for error and more just going with what the car is doing. It's hard to describe.

Never used FSD, even though I met the requirements last enrollment period. I think it's dumb to focus on the 5% use case when Autopilot/highway is the 95% use case and where you get most benefit, IMO. Autopilot feels abandoned and it could be so much better. But when you have a CEO who constantly lies to stock scam FSD and Robotaxi every year... kinda paints yourself into the corner.

My speakers and mic stop working when driving through a car wash sometimes, or during heavy rain. My left seat belt pillar just came off when getting in the car one day and it's made of this thin, paperboard like material that refuses to snap back in correctly. A/C often just blows at my feet when turning the car on, climate keeper is often not working due to a "system fault". The car has 10k miles.

I think the car is cool in some aspects. The acceleration is nice, it looks nice from an aesthetic level. Some people may like all the attention they get in public driving it "OOOH is that a TESLA?!", but as someone who dislikes Elon Musk, it kinda makes me feel like a tool.

The Chevy Bolt, at least the 2017 I had was more enjoyable in some ways. The seats sucked, until I modded them and added more foam. But the price was much lower, the acceleration was adequate, and the range was comparable. openpilot works on the bolt, although I never installed it. Never used supercruise. The interior is plastic everywhere and cheap feeling, but the car had some character to me. As an electric car, I miss it.

Tesla service is meh.. the advisors really seem to have an attitude, but so would I having to deal with rabid customers spamming forum links, self-diagnosing. I think the most irritating part is hearing of other customers getting free things like fixed repeater cameras that work for blind spot usage at night, then being quoted a cash price as "they don't offer that". Having them come to your house is cool, though.

I think, overall, Tesla should really, actually make a $30k model with decent range like the Bolt. The "luxury" segment isn't quite there due to quality issues and I can have better than Autopilot "self driving" for the cost of a used 2017 Prius, or Rav, or many other supported cars and openpilot, which is open source. I think FSD is dumb and feels like a stock scam at best, and I think that after several years of hardcore vehicle autonomy usage in general, it's made me a worse driver with slower reflexes (the same thing happens to pilots due to overreliance on aircraft autopilot).

Overall, there's a part of me that will be sad to see the Model 3 go tomorrow, but also a relief that one of the most unreliable cars I've driven will no longer be a $1,000 payment on credit. I just picked up a Jeep Gladiator and I'm loving it, even though I don't think there could be a car that could be more of a polar opposite.. even if the Jeep is only 600lbs heavier.

downloadfile.jpg

Everyone is going to have a different view and experience of owning a model 3.

For me it is by far the most enjoyable and relaxing car I've ever owned. I melt into the driver's seat and love the experience of driving it, especially long distances. Mine is 2019 LR 18" wheels. The happiest part of my day is driving my 3.

Is it the perfect fit and finish and service as Audi? Hell no. Do I like it 100 times more than my Q5? Hell yes.

Previous cars: Honda civic, FIAT X 1/9, VW Jetta, BMW 320i, Infiniti Q45, Nissan Pathfinder, Lexus IS 300, Subaru Outback, Audi Q5

I feel like in 10 years we will still be discussing more or less the same things as we are today in that the car does a lot of things great but the quality isn't good as it should be for money and by then there will be a lot of alternatives that will be probably more attractive.
In 10 years Tesla will be a vastly different company. Either because they made massive improvements to compete with the coming EV storm from legacy automakers or because they remained the same and got left behind by the legacy automakers. Either way, change will come.

Reactions: Pommie
In 10 years Tesla will be a vastly different company. Either because they made massive improvements to compete with the coming EV storm from legacy automakers or because they remained the same and got left behind by the legacy automakers. Something will change, one way or another...
I'm not sure they will be vastly different. Tesla hasn't changed much over the last decade. In fact they removed more hardware over the years than they have added outside of software changes. Maybe they will come out with a redesign of the S or X models but given how adverse Elon is to shutting any lines down to add any changes or improvements I don't see that happening for some time. As the years go by they seem to be more focused on profits than improving the product. I'm sure a few new products will be released over the next decade but I get the feeling they are going to ride the current lineup kicking and screaming for as long as they can.

Reactions: TomT and _Redshift_
I'm not sure they will be vastly different. Tesla hasn't changed much over the last decade. In fact they removed more hardware over the years than they have added outside of software changes. Maybe they will come out with a redesign of the S or X models but given how adverse Elon is to shutting any lines down to add any changes or improvements I don't see that happening for some time. As the years go by they seem to be more focused on profits than improving the product. I'm sure a few new products will be released over the next decade but I get the feeling they are going to ride the current lineup kicking and screaming for as long as they can.
If that's the case they won't be able to keep up. Hell, Elon is already giving props to Kia/Hyundai on Twitter. Over the last two years Tesla's EV market share in the U.S. has dropped from 80 to 68%. The best thing going for Tesla right now is RELATIVELY short wait times. As wait times for non-Teslas continue to decrease so will Tesla's market share. If they don't make any changes over the next decade they will go the way of Pontiac.

The OP thinks the Tesla is unreliable and they bought a Jeep. 🤣
I had a jeep Grand Cherokee. 2nd worst vehicle I ever owned. Only car worse was a chevy Chevette. The Jeep had so many problems: ABS computer had to be replaced, "main computer" (that's what the dealer called it) had to be replaced, leaky radiator, AC crapped out after about 55,000 miles. Drivers seat leather cracked and peeled after about 20,000 miles

I had a jeep Grand Cherokee. 2nd worst vehicle I ever owned. Only car worse was a chevy Chevette. The Jeep had so many problems: ABS computer had to be replaced, "main computer" (that's what the dealer called it) had to be replaced, leaky radiator, AC crapped out after about 55,000 miles. Drivers seat leather cracked and peeled after about 20,000 miles
It's funny, I have made fun of Chryslers for years. Only owned one other and the transmission blew up, a used Cherokee. Seems 2020 3.6v engines are blowing up due to crappy valvetrain design, we shall see.

There aren't very many automatic vehicles that can be flat towed behind an RV. I was going to go with a smart car, owned one before. The other options were cars like the Ford F150, a manual Miata, and most other manual vehicles. I'm sure I could have thought my partner how to drive stick, but after years of owning manual transmission cars, I'm a little over slogging through the gears.

I just figured that for the same car payment, I could have something more practical for my use case, that can also double as rolling storage behind my RV. It's fun to ride around with the top off and it's nice I can do truck things, like throwing my bikes in the back and pulling a stump, which I did earlier.
IMG_1156.jpeg

I'll offset some of my carbon emissions by being off-grid, also an electric bike for getting around the campground/locally.

If that's the case they won't be able to keep up. Hell, Elon is already giving props to Kia/Hyundai on Twitter. Over the last two years Tesla's EV market share in the U.S. has dropped from 80 to 68%. The best thing going for Tesla right now is RELATIVELY short wait times. As wait times for non-Teslas continue to decrease so will Tesla's market share. If they don't make any changes over the next decade they will go the way of Pontiac.

None of the bulls every remarked that Tesla would hold their insane share over time. They sell every car they make and there is a 9-month waitlist. Share goes down when you can't build enough cars to fullfill demand. The market is growing and Tesla cannot fulfill the entire market demand...their share will go down in an ever increasing market which means they will sell more cars over time anyway.

Go drive any other EV...Tesla's powertrain is still their secret sauce and just feel far better than the others.

Reactions: Big Earl
Coming from a Prius Prime running open pilot to Tesla FSD has pros and cons. Open Pilot could drive in a lot of situations where FSD struggles, and doesn't require steering wheel touch, but is more carrot chasing than Tesla FSD IMO. I had a comma two, which at release was advertised as 1.0 hardware. When I sold my setup in April, George was talking about focusing on other things and not worrying about making the software compatible with the comma two. I also cannot get past the awful warranty, and blind spot it creates on the windshield.

Reactions: zorrobyte
Agreed, I'm no fan of Elon Musk for many reasons that I won't go into, but I have to hand it to him: He created a successful, and totally different kind of car maker. He's probably the biggest single innovator in the car business since Henry Ford. Of course, Ford was a ***** too.

I mean, is anyone actually a fan of Elon Musk outside of his cult followers? HIghly doubtful...

The OP thinks the Tesla is unreliable and they bought a Jeep. 🤣

Don't look now, but Jeep is just under average in the latest J.D. Power dependability ratings. Tesla doesn't make the list because the sample size is too small. I've had 3 Jeeps over the past 15 years and haven't had a single problem with any of them. That in itself may be a small sample size, but it's my own sample and it's the reason that I have no problem spending my money on a Jeep.

Attachments

• JDP22.jpg
    JDP22.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: zorrobyte
Coming from a Prius Prime running open pilot to Tesla FSD has pros and cons. Open Pilot could drive in a lot of situations where FSD struggles, and doesn't require steering wheel touch, but is more carrot chasing than Tesla FSD IMO. I had a comma two, which at release was advertised as 1.0 hardware. When I sold my setup in April, George was talking about focusing on other things and not worrying about making the software compatible with the comma two. I also cannot get past the awful warranty, and blind spot it creates on the windshield.
Truth be told, I burnt out and left the OP community after being a mod and around there since 2019. I can't stand George Hotz, either and I think the narcissistic tech bro culture isn't something that people should support. I did manage to help get Open Source hardware going with the Retropilot peeps and its cool OP runs on a Pixel 3 and OnePlus phone. I burned out over there, too; Geo got so mad about our OSS and it's just a toxic community all around sometimes.

I ended up being a worse driver after using autonomy and being focused on it for as long as I have. I started to have these weird experiences where I'd just sit and observe my car nearly rear-ending a car stopped at a light when I'd switch from my Prius with OP to my truck, something just stopped clicking as I was so used to the car doing it for me.

>M3P: 3 months, 8k miles, and loving every minute of it (okay except for about 45 total seconds of Phantom Breaking during that time :p )…

Good for you! I'm glad you had a positive experience. Meanwhile, I'd have false FCWs and peds ghosting in front of my car, ruining my safety score and all sorts of quality and bug issues. I just may have higher standards, or maybe I got unlucky. At the end of the day, it's a car. I'm glad you found something that works for you!

There are some things I'll miss about my M3 for sure! I just couldn't stomach the car payment at a personal level with the issues I was having.

I think @zorrobyte makes a lot of good points. AP has not changed since my 2018 Model 3. It really should be more refined by now. He’s also right that City Street is really hard and lower priority. If Tesla put all that into AP (highway) it would be so much better.

Phantom braking is no longer an issue for me. Muscle memory immediately kicks in when it starts to slow. It does not happen often. Like 1-2 per 100 miles.

He’s also correct it relys so much on lane lines. It’s amazing how good it do s with poor lane lines though.

As far as quality goes, I’m ok with Tesla. A lot of materials are due to weight control. I don’t think Tesla hides the cheaper feeling materials as well as seasoned companies do. I don’t think Tesla’s are cheaply built. But the S/X. Feels much nicer than 3/Y.

I give a Tesla an excuse on service and QA due to high growth. It’s easier to fix those things when growth is flat like the competition.

I think @zorrobyte would like a Rivian.

And yes, Elon is being a real jerk the last couple years. And I don’t like being associated with his name any more. I used to.

I used to own Jeeps (Grand Cherokees). The wranglers are the most horrible thing on 4 wheels. Except maybe the beach or the woods. Everywhere else they are ugly, unsafe, noisy, gas sucking junk.

Reactions: GtiMart and Brou
I ended up being a worse driver after using autonomy and being focused on it for as long as I have. I started to have these weird experiences where I'd just sit and observe my car nearly rear-ending a car stopped at a light when I'd switch from my Prius with OP to my truck, something just stopped clicking as I was so used to the car doing it for me.

I have the same issue with AP. If I break out of auto steer and forget to re-engage I’ll be driving along (on TACC only) thinking it’s steering and it’s NOT.

I also drive worse in my wife’s Volt.

Hey, is Open Pilot compatible with 2019 Volt (2nd Gen) :) ?

Don't look now, but Jeep is just under average in the latest J.D. Power dependability ratings. Tesla doesn't make the list because the sample size is too small. I've had 3 Jeeps over the past 15 years and haven't had a single problem with any of them. That in itself may be a small sample size, but it's my own sample and it's the reason that I have no problem spending my money on a Jeep.
Nice roll of the dice for you then. I've had more jeeps than you and everyone has been a POS that spent more time at the dealer than in my garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.