Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My disaster of a delivery experience (No quality control)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The electrical gremlin comedy tour continues. I am still waiting on the buyback offer from Tesla, but my wife took the X to the airport a few miles away for a day trip a few days ago. The trunk opened when she was leaving for her trip, and my wife thought she somehow clicked the button (twice) and caused it to open (and it's near impossible when the fob is in a pocket to click twice rapidly enough), but then it opened again once she was in the X and driving. Also, the frunk randomly opens on its own for months now, and that was open when she returned from her trip.

Upon getting home, she came into the house and noticed the headlights were on and not turning off. She locked the X with the key fob. It honked, but the lights did not flash. Locked again, same thing. I messed with it too with no luck. The headlights stayed on for minutes until we opened the driver's door, and then everything turned off instantly. No interior screens, lights, etc. The driver's door would not close/latch because the X seemingly had no power. The door was left open half an inch (as closed as we could get it). The next morning, the door had closed itself (we think unless we have a helpful neighbor) and the windshield wipers were in the vertical position. We've driven it twice today, and the wipers don't respond to any controls...they just stay vertical. And the trunk just opened again on its own. HA. What a sh*tshow.

The electrical gremlin comedy tour continues. I am still waiting on the buyback offer from Tesla, but my wife took the X to the airport a few miles away for a day trip a few days ago. The trunk opened when she was leaving for her trip, and my wife thought she somehow clicked the button (twice) and caused it to open (and it's near impossible when the fob is in a pocket to click twice rapidly enough), but then it opened again once she was in the X and driving. Also, the frunk randomly opens on its own for months now, and that was open when she returned from her trip.

Upon getting home, she came into the house and noticed the headlights were on and not turning off. She locked the X with the key fob. It honked, but the lights did not flash. Locked again, same thing. I messed with it too with no luck. The headlights stayed on for minutes until we opened the driver's door, and then everything turned off instantly. No interior screens, lights, etc. The driver's door would not close/latch because the X seemingly had no power. The door was left open half an inch (as closed as we could get it). The next morning, the door had closed itself (we think unless we have a helpful neighbor) and the windshield wipers were in the vertical position. We've driven it twice today, and the wipers don't respond to any controls...they just stay vertical. And the trunk just opened again on its own. HA. What a sh*tshow.
Wow!

I keep expecting you to tell us that Alan Funt finally jumped out of the bushes

Reactions: cwerdna
And
This is by far the craziest story I've read... HOLY CRAP! You are one patient and understanding person - because I couldn't. I am beyond floored at this level of incompetence and general lack of giving a crap displayed by Tesla... Wow is all I can say...
And it ain't over yet because there still isn't a buyback offer from Tesla...coming up on 3 weeks after they agreed to buy it back. The car is showing more and more errors...including one a few days ago that said "...may not restart". I called Tesla roadside and they said no errors were showing on their end. It's like the car isn't communicating with the mothership.

We left for the weekend (not in the Tesla) and came home today to find a door opened on its own while we were gone...again. My neighbor is getting a kick out of it. Oh, and the charge door doesn't close anymore now too, but the car shows it is closed on the screen whether it is open or closed. Tesla already replaced the charge door once.

And

And it ain't over yet because there still isn't a buyback offer from Tesla...coming up on 3 weeks after they agreed to buy it back. The car is showing more and more errors...including one a few days ago that said "...may not restart". I called Tesla roadside and they said no errors were showing on their end. It's like the car isn't communicating with the mothership.

We left for the weekend (not in the Tesla) and came home today to find a door opened on its own while we were gone...again. My neighbor is getting a kick out of it. Oh, and the charge door doesn't close anymore now too, but the car shows it is closed on the screen whether it is open or closed. Tesla already replaced the charge door once.

Since you actually have lawyers involved, wouldn't the cost of a rental be included in the total lemon buyback settlement?

I think it's funny Tesla has left the vehicle in your possession. In my buyback situation they've had my car since April 19.

Reactions: maytaurustiger
Wow I'm so sorry to hear that's happening to you and your wife. It sounds very dangerous to drive the car! Tesla should be responsible for this and since they agreed to buy it back they need to honor that asap. Definitely try to report to them every day on all that's happening and to follow up with them multiple times a day if need be and save all correspondence just in case. Can't believe they think it's ok to treat you or anyone like this! Thanks for sharing your story.

Reactions: rpo
Since you actually have lawyers involved, wouldn't the cost of a rental be included in the total lemon buyback settlement?

I think it's funny Tesla has left the vehicle in your possession. In my buyback situation they've had my car since April 19.

I am assuming you are referring to the loaner car that Tesla obtained for me from Enterprise but then refused to pay for? If so, yes, we've included that in the demand. My attorney said if they refuse to reimburse me for that, it would be an easy small claims case.

I am assuming you are referring to the loaner car that Tesla obtained for me from Enterprise but then refused to pay for? If so, yes, we've included that in the demand. My attorney said if they refuse to reimburse me for that, it would be an easy small claims case.

Sorry, I meant if you ended up getting your own loaner of comparable seating (7 seater) wouldn't that cost be covered in a settlement regardless if Tesla attempted to get you that rental or not?

Still nothing from Tesla about the buyback, but I do have an update of sorts.

When I asked Tesla about the "safety systems are disabled" error months ago, they assured me the logs showed everything was fine and the car was safe to drive. Today I went into the service menu and saw tons of errors about the driver and rear passenger airbags having electrical high impedance errors going back to April. The errors say the airbags "may not work as designed". These were in the logs at the time I called Tesla to ask about the error months ago, but when I called today again to ask again, they told me that was bad advice and to immediately stop using the vehicle and not to drive it again.

Still nothing from Tesla about the buyback, but I do have an update of sorts.

When I asked Tesla about the "safety systems are disabled" error months ago, they assured me the logs showed everything was fine and the car was safe to drive. Today I went into the service menu and saw tons of errors about the driver and rear passenger airbags having electrical high impedance errors going back to April. The errors say the airbags "may not work as designed". These were in the logs at the time I called Tesla to ask about the error months ago, but when I called today again to ask again, they told me that was bad advice and to immediately stop using the vehicle and not to drive it again.
Take photos of those errors.

Reactions: cwerdna
Jeez it seems with Tesla you either have an AMAZING experience with little to no issues which makes you agree with the statements that claim it’s one of the most dependable cars you can buy…

Or…

You get absolutely crapped on.

I agree. My first three (all Model S's) were perfect. No issues over 100k+miles of driving besides needing to restart the main computer occasionally. Not indifferent from a phone/computer. Then came the X.....

Jeez it seems with Tesla you either have an AMAZING experience with little to no issues which makes you agree with the statements that claim it’s one of the most dependable cars you can buy…

Or…

You get absolutely crapped on.

Hah, I feel this. I have a 3 and Y that have no issues. My 3 is 5 years old and Y is 2 years.

I'm debating if I should sell my Y and get an X, but I'm still hesitant to do so.

Hah, I feel this. I have a 3 and Y that have no issues. My 3 is 5 years old and Y is 2 years.

I'm debating if I should sell my Y and get an X, but I'm still hesitant to do so.

Go read the situation with the front doors that many new buyers have posted about. They still have motors to open/close, but Tesla took away the sensors that allow the doors to open on their own, so now they pop open a few inches and stop, and then you have to push/pull the door open the rest of the way with a heavy motor resisting you. It's a "great" design.

Worst car experience I’ve ever heard of, unbelievable. So sorry you went through that. Personally, I think Tesla has over rotated onto the new M3 and cranking up MY production, to the detriment of their flagship cars. If they don’t get quality under control, it will kill the company (anyone remember US cars from the late 1970s?).

Reactions: rpo
Worst car experience I’ve ever heard of, unbelievable. So sorry you went through that. Personally, I think Tesla has over rotated onto the new M3 and cranking up MY production, to the detriment of their flagship cars. If they don’t get quality under control, it will kill the company (anyone remember US cars from the late 1970s?).

Thanks. Hopefully it is resolved at some point. The latest is that Tesla corporate told me nothing has been started on the buyback because the service center is who is responsible for approving a buyback. When I call the service center, they tell me corporate is lying and they have nothing to do with it. And around and around we go.