Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My disaster of a delivery experience (No quality control)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. Hopefully it is resolved at some point. The latest is that Tesla corporate told me nothing has been started on the buyback because the service center is who is responsible for approving a buyback. When I call the service center, they tell me corporate is lying and they have nothing to do with it. And around and around we go.
Do a zoom call, just kidding. This is really unacceptable. Keep at it!

I have a new plan of attack for @rpo. This approach may actually be faster than what he's experienced so far.

1) Move to New Jersey
2) Apply for this job Business Resolution Partner | Tesla Careers
3) Wows the hiring managers and their AI robots during the interview by saying how much he hates customers but loves to make Tesla more profit
4) Get hired as a new Business Resolution Partner because Tesla loves profits and screwing customers
5) Approve and execute the lemon/buyback on his busted ass Model X.
6) Move back to Washington.

The only downsides I can see related to my plan are:

1) He'll have to move to Jersey
2) He'll probably end up with trash health benefits from Tesla for the week he's there

@rpo, did you read that job description? Do you think anyone at Tesla's Northwest region Business Resolutions team has looked into your case? Probably not lololol. They're supposed to "mitigate litigation risk" ... but there's no litigation risk if they just ignore lemon claims amirite?

• Support Tesla Service with resolving customer escalations, vehicle buyback, and Lemon Law-related claims in an efficient and timely manner
  • Partner with field teams to understand the customer’s concerns, repair history and prior communications to determine the appropriate resolution financial, legal, and operational implications
  • Assess service center operations and work with local/regional management on improvements
  • Maintain a deep understanding of local/regional Lemon Law legislation to mitigate litigation and compliance risk
  • Analyze trends and identify opportunities to improve Tesla Service through in-field trainings, updated policies/procedures, and robust internal tools and reference materials, e.g., operational guidebook
  • Support reporting activities to highlight key areas of improvements to Tesla executive/leadership teams

Jeez it seems with Tesla you either have an AMAZING experience with little to no issues which makes you agree with the statements that claim it’s one of the most dependable cars you can buy…

Or…

You get absolutely crapped on.

Unfortunately, if you get crapped on... a ton of the folks with wonderful experiences will proudly boast about how great their Teslas are. So anyone with a problem is gaslit that they are individually to blame for the problem since Tesla can do no wrong.

And Tesla has started drinking this same kool-aid. Their behaviors are from a position where anyone with an issue is the problem; but the problem cannot be the vehicle or the service.

When I took delivery of my dirty model X that Sunnyvale Tesla couldn't even bother cleaning or making presentable... they said they don't really bother prepping cars much for delivery any more since people are buying them anyway. So if you have a problem with it, you can bring it up with Corporate. And if Corporate is filled with senior leaders hired by Elon and others like Elon, it's unlikely they'll give a damn about a few complaints.

Reactions: retbesla
My delivery was supposed to be last Saturday (6/10) on a Model X Plaid. As soon as I get to the delivery center and walk around the car, I see the driver side door panel was sticking out at the bottom. Tesla advisor looked at it and was like “nah, that’s not right” but they all weren’t sure if this will be fixable.
I ended up not taking delivery and delayed it to speak to the manager on Monday.

Come Monday (6/12), I spoke with the manager and he also admitted the car shouldn’t even come to them like that in the first place.
He offered 2 choices:
1) He takes it to Tesla collision and see if it can be repaired
2) I get matched to another Model X; unfortunately, there’s no more X Plaid coming anytime soon to my area; so the match was a long range which was en route

Today (6/14), I went back to Tesla Delivery Center on whether the X Plaid door can be fixed or not. They said their collision center “isn’t sure” until they check both the driver door and the FWD but they can’t get to it until next week.

Meanwhile, the long range X came and I had a chance to checkout the fit and finish of that one. Looks great other than the hood being very slightly off which Service center confirmed they can realign.

I decided to switch to the Long Range, save $5K (on quarter end discount) and get 3 yr supercharging for free. Plus, I locked in 3.99% Tesla financing and didn’t want to lose that if i had wait until next week to get a diagnosis on whether the door alignment can be fixed or not.

As for the X Plaid, I had locked in when it was lowest price before price increases. But because my order date was early April, I didn’t qualify for 3 yr supercharging.

Kind of worked out well I guess, since I ended up saving $5K by “downgrading” to long range (6 seater) because of qtr end discount and would now qualify to get 3 yr free supercharging, and kept the 3.99% financing.

Hopefully, delivery goes smooth later this week.

Attachments

• IMG_9973.jpeg
    IMG_9973.jpeg
    480.8 KB · Views: 145
My delivery was supposed to be last Saturday (6/10) on a Model X Plaid. As soon as I get to the delivery center and walk around the car, I see the driver side door panel was sticking out at the bottom. Tesla advisor looked at it and was like “nah, that’s not right” but they all weren’t sure if this will be fixable.
I ended up not taking delivery and delayed it to speak to the manager on Monday.

Come Monday (6/12), I spoke with the manager and he also admitted the car shouldn’t even come to them like that in the first place.
He offered 2 choices:
1) He takes it to Tesla collision and see if it can be repaired
2) I get matched to another Model X; unfortunately, there’s no more X Plaid coming anytime soon to my area; so the match was a long range which was en route

Today (6/14), I went back to Tesla Delivery Center on whether the X Plaid door can be fixed or not. They said their collision center “isn’t sure” until they check both the driver door and the FWD but they can’t get to it until next week.

Meanwhile, the long range X came and I had a chance to checkout the fit and finish of that one. Looks great other than the hood being very slightly off which Service center confirmed they can realign.

I decided to switch to the Long Range, save $5K (on quarter end discount) and get 3 yr supercharging for free. Plus, I locked in 3.99% Tesla financing and didn’t want to lose that if i had wait until next week to get a diagnosis on whether the door alignment can be fixed or not.

As for the X Plaid, I had locked in when it was lowest price before price increases. But because my order date was early April, I didn’t qualify for 3 yr supercharging.

Kind of worked out well I guess, since I ended up saving $5K by “downgrading” to long range (6 seater) because of qtr end discount and would now qualify to get 3 yr free supercharging, and kept the 3.99% financing.

Hopefully, delivery goes smooth later this week.
Just shaking my head that they’d let a $100K car leave the factory like that. Good luck with the new one.

Just shaking my head that they’d let a $100K car leave the factory like that. Good luck with the new one.
Same here. I knew something was going to be messed up but didn’t think it would be a major gap like this. I laughed it off and was like “would rain go through the gap? And how did something like this pass through multiple checks on a $110K car?”

Reactions: CleanDemon
Guess who STILL has their lemon 7 months after requesting a buyback? That's right, me. I never would have thought I'd be posting on this thread two months after my last post with this POS car still in my possession.

I did sign a buyback agreement weeks ago...finally. Tesla is paying me back for basically everything which is good. What finally got Tesla moving on the buyback was seemingly my decision to also sue them in small claims for the loaner (rental) car that they provided me but then refused to pay for. The MX has now been sitting in my alley for 6 months. It completely stopped responding with a ~25% charge about 3 months ago or so, and its electrical gremlins rolled some of the windows down before dying as a last hurrah, so that's how it's been sitting ever since. Thankfully for Tesla, I guess, it has only rained a couple of times since then. With the car non-responsive, I cannot even open the doors. A neighbor just let me know that some interior lights and a headlight was randomly on this past week when I was out of town, but it still is not responding to me.

The attorney at Tesla is having issues getting Tesla to send a tow truck to come pick up the vehicle. It sounds like she is dealing with the Bellevue service center based on that. LOL. So...who knows how much longer it will sit in my alley. Anyone want to place bets?

If the high voltage battery has been dead for months, would Tesla have to disclose that to a potential new buyer of the vehicle? It is a buyback and not legally a lemon, so I believe they can sell it again without disclosing its prior issues if they manage to fix the electrical issues. The service center also let it sit completely dead back in January for a week or two. In case anyone is considering a used 2023 MX from Tesla, my VIN was 7SAXCBE52PF369060. I'd avoid that VIN at all costs if it shows up for sale down the road!

Ridiculous.

Tesla surprisingly approved the buyback on my Model 3 mid June, after sending lemon law letters to corporate and their Burbank Service center. However, they dragged their feet on providing any official numbers and documentation and by mid July, I decided to file arbitration (I opted out of it upon purchase but didn’t want to involve a lawyer for this issue). I presented my case early August and won. After the decision Tesla then began replying to my messages, noting they had been attempting to contact me (…sure), and received a full buyback offer for full price. However I am requesting they include a refund for EAP software and home link, as per California’s CDSP they should refund Tesla accessories and dealer options. If they do not I will pursue small claims.

If people are interested I could create a thread explanation my situation and how I navigated through it.

Ridiculous.

Tesla surprisingly approved the buyback on my Model 3 mid June, after sending lemon law letters to corporate and their Burbank Service center. However, they dragged their feet on providing any official numbers and documentation and by mid July, I decided to file arbitration (I opted out of it upon purchase but didn’t want to involve a lawyer for this issue). I presented my case early August and won. After the decision Tesla then began replying to my messages, noting they had been attempting to contact me (…sure), and received a full buyback offer for full price. However I am requesting they include a refund for EAP software and home link, as per California’s CDSP they should refund Tesla accessories and dealer options. If they do not I will pursue small claims.

If people are interested I could create a thread explanation my situation and how I navigated through it.

You should 100% be getting a refund for Tesla accessories and the EAP. I was refunded for both of those on mine.

Reactions: retbesla and jecsun
You should 100% be getting a refund for Tesla accessories and the EAP. I was refunded for both of those on mine.
I got a call back from Tesla and they said they will indeed provide a refund on those items, now just waiting on updated docs…

One question to rpo or anyone else that has had their vehicle repurchased by Tesla: did they ever ban/block you from purchasing another vehicle from them? I know it sounds crazy, but we believe our issue with the 3 does not impact the Y, and are considering buying another EV with them again, with all other factors added up. Just hoping I don’t get hit with a issue like yours!

I’ve read on here that some people were banned from purchasing a Tesla after lawsuits, but not sure if it impacts lemon returns.

I got a call back from Tesla and they said they will indeed provide a refund on those items, now just waiting on updated docs…

One question to rpo or anyone else that has had their vehicle repurchased by Tesla: did they ever ban/block you from purchasing another vehicle from them? I know it sounds crazy, but we believe our issue with the 3 does not impact the Y, and are considering buying another EV with them again, with all other factors added up. Just hoping I don’t get hit with a issue like yours!

I’ve read on here that some people were banned from purchasing a Tesla after lawsuits, but not sure if it impacts lemon returns.

I just had my Model X that had 500 miles bought back. They did not block us from purchasing another Tesla. In fact, they said most people who complete a buyback love Tesla so much they usually roll the equity from the buyback into a new Tesla vehicle.

However, they told us that all Teslas are prone to firmware glitches that will shut down the car while it’s being driven. Apparently it’s a common enough problem that the service centers don’t even document the events since it’s just par for the course when you use a Tesla. So they advised us to never use Tesla again if we value having cars not just randomly shut down.

Since we had a Model 3 too, the implication is that if that car also shuts down while driving then it’s our fault since we’ve been informed by Tesla all Teslas like to shut down. Needless to say we’re done with Tesla and their “service.”

However, they told us that all Teslas are prone to firmware glitches that will shut down the car while it’s being driven.
I don't doubt the Tesla guy told you this. However I don't believe it. If that was true NHTSA would/should be all over it, people would be in an uproar and not buying Teslas. Headline: 25 Teslas Shut Down On The 405 Today, Down From 40 Yesterday

Last edited:
They had me drop the suit in exchange for them paying me all associated costs through the buyback.

Lol their words are cheap… until they pay anything you shouldn’t have to drop a suit.

IANAL, but Tesla basically threatened a plaintiff that performance in accordance with federal and state warranty laws is contingent on the plaintiff dropping a small claim.

That doesn’t sound like above board behavior, and further evidence to me that buying a car from Tesla is a terrible idea. Why would any buyer willingly put themselves or keep themselves in a possible situation of dealing with these legal a-holes?

Reactions: retbesla and rpo
I just had my Model X that had 500 miles bought back. They did not block us from purchasing another Tesla. In fact, they said most people who complete a buyback love Tesla so much they usually roll the equity from the buyback into a new Tesla vehicle.

However, they told us that all Teslas are prone to firmware glitches that will shut down the car while it’s being driven. Apparently it’s a common enough problem that the service centers don’t even document the events since it’s just par for the course when you use a Tesla. So they advised us to never use Tesla again if we value having cars not just randomly shut down.

Since we had a Model 3 too, the implication is that if that car also shuts down while driving then it’s our fault since we’ve been informed by Tesla all Teslas like to shut down. Needless to say we’re done with Tesla and their “service.”

At no point have I been asked if I wanted to buy another Tesla. I think that's the difference between your ~1 month buyback process and my 7-8 month and still ongoing fiasco. They must know they have lost me as a customer forever now because of the way they treated me.

Reactions: zoomer0056
That's normal for all the big Goliath companies. It's human. Not acceptable, but human.

I worked support for a small IT company, and we were told that once a customer indicated they were taking legal action, we were to refer them to the legal department for everything. The reasoning was that anything we said would be used against us, so to speak, and therefore we could not risk making the situation worse until the legal matters were resolved.

At no point have I been asked if I wanted to buy another Tesla. I think that's the difference between your ~1 month buyback process and my 7-8 month and still ongoing fiasco. They must know they have lost me as a customer forever now because of the way they treated me.

Pretty sure Tesla lost us as a customer forever when a slick haired service advisor wearing All-birds told my wife Teslas stall out all the time; and that it's our fault for buying Tesla since Tesla is the best tech. But with tech comes bugs. We should have known this... so the safety of our kids and my wife's mother is on us... not on Tesla.

Reactions: rpo and Genie
Pretty sure Tesla lost us as a customer forever when a slick haired service advisor wearing All-birds told my wife Teslas stall out all the time; and that it's our fault for buying Tesla since Tesla is the best tech. But with tech comes bugs. We should have known this... so the safety of our kids and my wife's mother is on us... not on Tesla.

I've seen support/sales people that always need to be right, and will say anything to avoid admitting fault. It's bad customer service and I'm sorry you had that experience.

There's no way that statement is true. Any car is subject to failure that could leave you stranded, but I see no evidence that Teslas are more prone to this than others.