Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My driving range was only 58% of estimated, and 37% for climate control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So with these new energy graphs I saw how horrible my range has been lately. Of 150 miles of range used, only 87.3 miles or 58% was used towards driving and 56 miles worth or 37% towards climate control. From everything I have read this seems really atypical. Is there anyone else out there that has an energy breakdown like this?

I was quite cold in the PNW, but the snow was cleared for this driving. I have a 2018 model 3 dual motor.

IMG_6691.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
Of 150 miles of range used
Also, you haven't described how this 150 miles was used. Was it small errands of 10 or so miles over several days? Energy draw from heating use is massive at first if it's trying to warm up the cabin and battery. So this wouldn't surprise me. But if you get to drive 150 miles straight for 2 hours, then the cabin will get warm and the heating energy usage will drop way down for the last two thirds of the drive, and the efficiency will be a lot better.

It was generally short trips, 5-10 miles at a time, but probably only over 2-3 days. Still, this is what I usually do in slightly warmer weather too.

It is a 2018 pre-heat pump model 3. I took a long trip the previous weekend about 110 miles each way and realized I wasn't going to make it home without supercharging, and I started the day with a 100% 288 stated mile charge.

As @Rocky_H indicates, short trips consume a lot of energy to heat the cabin initially, and driving on a cold battery is less efficient. If you start heating the cabin from the cell phone, the car might even heat the battery which adds a lot more consumption (but will be more efficient later if you do a long drive). You cannot compare multiple short trips with one long one, it's just not the same.

Shows 19 stops. Also, I use %age, not miles. Anyhow, the driving seems very close to the EPA rating. 87miles driven, 97miles EPA-rated. Basically you used 32% SOC for driving 87 miles. About 275Wh/mile.

Obviously with so many stops over a few days, you're going to have to heat the cabin each and every time. That's a lot of heat. Personally, for short trips, I never heat the car. My car sits outside. I have to put on my winter clothes to get to my car, I'm not going to undress once I get inside if I'm driving 5 to 10 miles. I keep my coat and gloves on.

Here's what I did yesterday, I took a screenshot because it was a blue snowflake day, 22F outside.
IMG_6544.jpeg

As you can see, I didn't use any heat for Climate. It was 10 miles to my destination and 10 miles back to my home. I used exactly the EPA rating. In Summer, that's what you'd expect. In Winter, if you crank the heat, you're going to just waste electrons. I mean, it was only 20mins there, I live in Maine, what's a little cold? I have my seat heater on 3, and I have a heated steering wheel cover, that I plug into the cigarette lighter. If you don't blow cold air around, it's more than enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
How would a heat pump car perform in a scenario similar to this?
Probably "better". My wifes 2022 heat pump equipped model Y performance has a very similar wh/mi number for me as my resistive heat equipped model 3 Performance from 2018, and model Ys are supposed to be 10% less efficient.

With that being said, I live in Southern California, and unless we specifically go seek it out in the mountains, we dont get snow. Heat pumps work fabulous here, since they dont do great in "real" cold, but we dont get "real" cold in most of southern california.

I'll try it with the heat off and see what kind of results I get. I do use the seat warmers, but will turn those off too.

If you are taking short trips it isnt going to be appreciably better, if its cold. Warming the cabin has high usage at the beginning of a drive, and if you are taking multiple shorter drives that have to warm the cabin, its going to be similar.

I dont think you are going to save a bunch of money trying to turn your heat off, and your seat heaters off (dont do that). I think electricity is fairly cheap where you are, right?

Yeah, I’m in Boston and what you’re hearing here is true: Winter is bad for EVs. I found a happy medium between efficiency and comfort in my 2019, non-heat pump M3. I generally wear a jacket in the car, always blast the seat heater, and try to keep the heat around 68. I also precondition about 20 minutes (at least) before my morning drive when plugged in.

On really cold days I’ll turn on the heat to 60 long before I leave to begin to warm the battery and cabin. I also schedule charging to start around 4am to conserve the heat from charging Then about 15 minutes before leaving I blast 74 degrees and level 3 seat heating. When I get in l back off the heat to 68. Coming home at night I warm the cabin about 10 minutes before leaving. That’s 100% battery so I try to be careful there.

Yeah, it kind of sucks. But you live with it. I think I average about 33% less range in the winter on typical 1-hour commutes on very cold days. But it is what it is. Longer trips fare better.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I don't know for OP but I can't stand the seat heaters once the seat has warmed up. It makes me feel sick (too warm)... Just as an example that it's possible to not like them on constantly... Saying because many people here tell OP to leave them on. I say just use whatever you need to be comfortable. If you need to conserve energy to make it to your destination, reducing speed is what saves the most energy, not heat which would be second. Otherwise do a better planning of your trip and it won't happen.

I don’t think anyone on here is suggesting that he leave the seat heaters on if he is too hot. We’re just saying that if you get cold, first, try the seed heaters. And I disagree with you suggesting that heat isn’t a major factor. Blasting the heat like we all did in ICE cars will kill range more than a few miles over the speed limit will, in cold weather.

Reactions: XPsionic
I don't know for OP but I can't stand the seat heaters once the seat has warmed up. It makes me feel sick (too warm)... Just as an example that it's possible to not like them on constantly... Saying because many people here tell OP to leave them on. I say just use whatever you need to be comfortable. If you need to conserve energy to make it to your destination, reducing speed is what saves the most energy, not heat which would be second. Otherwise do a better planning of your trip and it won't happen.

No one said that. The OP indicated that the were going to turn off the seat heaters(that they said they already use) in order to help in reducing the drastic climate control energy usage that they are seeing. Turning the seat heater off is not going to make an easily perceivable difference at 60mph average speed, or even 15mph average speed.