Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My model 3 says full at 210 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you buy a standard range plus model? I looked for your posting history to see the answer to that question, and it seems to me that your entire contribution to this forum is posting about your range being taken away.

If you feel like you have a lemon law claim, you should pursue it. Are opinions here going to change what you do one way or another?

My model 3 says full at 210 miles
m3 went from 240 miles to 210 miles at 100%

I've seen several other people on these forums with the exact same issue. It's ridiculous that there hasn't been a (hopefully) software fix for this yet as this service response is unacceptable. Here's hoping that Tesla gets this figured out before it happens to me, and others, as well.

Reactions: smashcz
Does the estimated mileage change according to how you drive? You may just be driving more aggressively, so the car gives a lower range estimate.

No. (See the answer to the first FAQ.)

Range

“The range displayed is not adapted based on driving pattern or other factors that impact range. When fully charged, the driving range displayed is based on regulating agency certification (Environmental Protection Agency - EPA).”

Unfortunately the OP here is providing very little context, but if he had an SR+, he unquestionably would be lacking a significant amount of energy.

Last edited:
It is time for a YouTuber to do a range experiment that works like this.

Two cars tested, one like the OP's that shows 204mi at 100% and another that shows 240mi at 100%. Take these out on the open road,somewhere where they can driven for 100 miles, together on TACC at 70MPH with no interventions. This should result in a similar if not equal Wh/mile reading. If the battery really has lost capacity, there should still be a 36mi range difference after 100 miles. If not, we know that there is nothing wrong with the battery.

My opinion is that the car should only show range based on historical energy usage.

OP probably has a SR+ that got locked somehow. I have a similar "issue" of not getting the 220 for a SR @ 100% (more like 210 now ) but I think that has more to do with my highway driving.

I'd be curious what a lemon law judge/lawyer says about this? Laugh? Evs are relatively new to the auto laws

Which model do you own?

In the other threads the OP created, if I remember correctly the OP also mentioned things like "my fog lights got taken away". So, either this OP bought a SR model that was a SR+ on delivery and got downgraded to what OP purchased, OR OP purchased a SR+ that got mistakenly downgraded during the Hurricane issue in Florida as some reported here.

In either case, in those thread(s) the OP mentioned other features being taken away so it was fairly clear if you read through them that the issue was a SR+ to SR downgrade (either warranted or not). I dont believe the OP ever answered what they actually bought.

When the first thread the OP created went off the first page, then the OP created a second thread. When I questioned "why another thread for the same thing?" the OP stated "I can not reply to that one anymore so I created this one", implying that for some reason the TMC website would not let OP reply to the thread.

When the second one went off the first page, now we have this one.

Next, I am sure I will be accused of being a forum stalker or something. I simply looked up the OPs posted threads because (frankly) I remember wondering why the OP posted a 2nd thread with the same topic, and now a third thread with the same basic topic, so I wondered how many times this OP had done this.

In the other threads the OP created, if I remember correctly the OP also mentioned things like "my fog lights got taken away". So, either this OP bought a SR model that was a SR+ on delivery and got downgraded to what OP purchased, OR OP purchased a SR+ that got mistakenly downgraded during the Hurricane issue in Florida as some reported here.

In either case, in those thread(s) the OP mentioned other features being taken away so it was fairly clear if you read through them that the issue was a SR+ to SR downgrade (either warranted or not). I dont believe the OP ever answered what they actually bought.

When the first thread the OP created went off the first page, then the OP created a second thread. When I questioned "why another thread for the same thing?" the OP stated "I can not reply to that one anymore so I created this one", implying that for some reason the TMC website would not let OP reply to the thread.

When the second one went off the first page, now we have this one.

Next, I am sure I will be accused of being a forum stalker or something. I simply looked up the OPs posted threads because (frankly) I remember wondering why the OP posted a 2nd thread with the same topic, and now a third thread with the same basic topic, so I wondered how many times this OP had done this.

Thank you for explaining this. I'm sure you are right with your diagnosis.

Reactions: vickh
I’ve had my model 3 for about four months now and on September 1 it went from 240 miles charged at 100% to 210 miles charge at 100%. Now almost a month and a half later it charges 100% at 204 miles and I’ve brought it to the service center three times and they keep telling me they’ll get back to me...........nothing yet!!
Same here. I'm guessing the problem is there is not many of us, so they may not be working on solution. Hopefully they are.

No. (See the answer to the first FAQ.)

Range

“The range displayed is not adapted based on driving pattern or other factors that impact range. When fully charged, the driving range displayed is based on regulating agency certification (Environmental Protection Agency - EPA).”

Unfortunately the OP here is providing very little context, but if he had an SR+, he unquestionably would be lacking a significant amount of energy.
That FAQ doesn’t jive with what the SCs have been saying recently. There is also some circumstantial evidence (based on TeslaFi graphs people have posted) the range estimator might have started to include average consumption in recent releases. As usually, only Tesla knows and communication is not their forte.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
There is also some circumstantial evidence (based on TeslaFi graphs people have posted) the range estimator might have started to include average consumption in recent releases. As usually, only Tesla knows and communication is not their forte.

Fortunately this is easily disproven, and on my road trip it was abundantly clear that those rated miles click off at 230Wh/rmi as displayed on the trip meter in my AWD Performance. There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that it depends in any significant way on driving style or average consumption.

Anyone can do the same experiment themselves and prove to themselves that this range is absolutely not affected by driving style. It's quite straightforward! You definitely don't have to take my word for it or get confused by TeslaFi or Stats data - or what the service centers say. It's totally empirically provable.

Here's a quick trip summary (I might type up something more detailed at some point) proving that it has nothing to do with average consumption. You can derive the same ~230Wh/rmi constant from the results for two dramatically different (250Wh/mi and 330Wh/mi) average consumption trip segments. (The constant will be different for other vehicle types - it's the same for all AWD Model 3s though.)

Trip summary

593.2mi/650rmi*251Wh/mi = 229Wh/rmi (trip meter Wh)

583mi/843rmi*332Wh/mi = 230Wh/rmi (trip meter Wh)

It's 245Wh/rmi for charging. That's another even easier way to see that the range indicator has nothing to do with driving style - just look at the charging screen results and swap between miles & %, and read off the miles added and the kWh added. It'll always be 245Wh per rated mile added, after excluding rounding errors on the kWh (for the AWD).

Last edited:
That FAQ doesn’t jive with what the SCs have been saying recently.
Some people at the service centers have been repeating that same wrong statement for many years.
There is also some circumstantial evidence (based on TeslaFi graphs people have posted) the range estimator might have started to include average consumption in recent releases.
No.
As usually, only Tesla knows and communication is not their forte.
Owners who have been using the cars for years know.

Fortunately this is easily disproven, and on my road trip it was abundantly clear that those rated miles click off at 230Wh/rmi as displayed on the trip meter in my AWD Performance. There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that it depends in any significant way on driving style or average consumption.

Anyone can do the same experiment themselves and prove to themselves that this range is absolutely not affected by driving style. It's quite straightforward! You definitely don't have to take my word for it or get confused by TeslaFi or Stats data - or what the service centers say. It's totally empirically provable.

Here's a quick trip summary (I might type up something more detailed at some point) proving that it has nothing to do with average consumption. You can derive the same ~230Wh/rmi constant from the results for two dramatically different (250Wh/mi and 330Wh/mi) average consumption trip segments. (The constant will be different for other vehicle types - it's the same for all AWD Model 3s though.)

Trip summary

593.2mi/650rmi*251Wh/mi = 229Wh/rmi (trip meter Wh)

583mi/843rmi*332Wh/mi = 230Wh/rmi (trip meter Wh)

It's 245Wh/rmi for charging. That's another even easier way to see that the range indicator has nothing to do with driving style - just look at the charging screen results and swap between miles & %, and read off the miles added and the kWh added. It'll always be 245Wh per rated mile added, after excluding rounding errors on the kWh (for the AWD).
Thanks for that very good explanation. I will view TeslaFi data with more skepticism from now on. I’m trying this out tomorrow to see what I end up with as well as a couple times per week as the weather gets colder to confirm its static. Thanks again.

Thanks for that very good explanation. I will view TeslaFi data with more skepticism from now on. I’m trying this out tomorrow to see what I end up with as well as a couple times per week as the weather gets colder to confirm its static. Thanks again.

Glad you found it helpful. Just note that for shorter trips you'll likely only be able to obtain two significant figures. And for you, since you have the LR RWD, the constant is lower - I think it's about 223Wh/rmi discharge and 235Wh/rmi for charging - but I have no way to measure the discharge constant obviously.

So for a shorter trip, you'll likely only be able to say the discharge constant value is between 215Wh/rmi and 230Wh/rmi.

You also obviously have to be careful to eliminate any vampire losses (or any losses while in Park) from the calculation. And you can't end a trip with a ton of regen and do the calculation since the regen miles are temporarily hidden from view.

• Informative
Reactions: VT_EE
It’s possible that the OP purchased a SR not knowing the correct Range if it, when he got downgraded to the SR from the Plus, he obviously saw the range hit to the 210, instead of the 240. His battery will probably undergo some new recalibration to get him back to the 220 mile mark.
The Tesla Easter Egg box will say SR or SR+.

Fred

• Funny
Reactions: davewill
It’s possible that the OP purchased a SR not knowing the correct Range if it, when he got downgraded to the SR from the Plus, he obviously saw the range hit to the 210, instead of the 240. His battery will probably undergo some new recalibration to get him back to the 220 mile mark.
The Tesla Easter Egg box will say SR or SR+.

Fred

In one of the other threads this OP started, OP said "I have a plus but tesla doesnt sell cars with 210 range". So If this OP has a plus as stated, the OP has been downgraded to standard by mistake and should be working on that with tesla on that. When that is corrected (if that is the issue) then the OP will have lost 10 miles of range, which is completely in line with all the other people who are having some sort of issue with BMS calculations.

The downgrade took 20 miles, and OP has a calculation error that is causing the rest. If the OP bought a standard, then max range is 220, and BMS calculations count for the rest. If the OP wants to try to use lemon law, I personally think that will go absolutely no where very fast, but I am not a lawyer, and not involved, so my advice would be for OP to pursue whatever they think is appropriate.... but posting here will do absolutely zero good toward OPs cause other than possibly making them feel better for trying to publicly shame tesla in some way.

I have the same issue. My car used to get 237 on full charge, now it's 223, 4 months after I bought it, 205-206 on 90% charge. Wondering if I should go to SC, since I have no desire to do the 100 mile test and they can check the battery degradation in there much easier.

I have the same issue. My car used to get 237 on full charge, now it's 223, 4 months after I bought it, 205-206 on 90% charge. Wondering if I should go to SC, since I have no desire to do the 100 mile test and they can check the battery degradation in there much easier.

Maybe they don’t make the batteries like they used to? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.