Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model Y has a pedestrian speaker installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
May/June 2020 build MYP - and I do not have any pedestrian warning system that I’m aware of.

I have not looked for a speaker, as I don’t hear any noises ever and I don’t want one... yet - unless they are customizable w coconut or jaws or similar sounds - the stock PWS noises are terrible.

Reactions: EVNation
November build, speaker is there and working.

I’m glad. As cool as it was to be totally silent in the Model 3, it caused a lot of problems with pedestrians. I noticed immediately that they are more aware I’m there with the PWS. Accessibility is good.

May/June 2020 build MYP - and I do not have any pedestrian warning system that I’m aware of.

I have not looked for a speaker, as I don’t hear any noises ever and I don’t want one... yet - unless they are customizable w coconut or jaws or similar sounds - the stock PWS noises are terrible.
All 2020 Model Y have the wiring but they didn't start installing the speaker until September 2020. You can buy one and install it yourself if you want your car to start making more noise. We did to confirm it worked and then disconnected it.

• Informative
Reactions: SeattleSteve
November build, speaker is there and working.

I’m glad. As cool as it was to be totally silent in the Model 3, it caused a lot of problems with pedestrians. I noticed immediately that they are more aware I’m there with the PWS. Accessibility is good.

same here. November build. Sounds a bit like Taycan sound

All 2020 Model Y have the wiring but they didn't start installing the speaker until September 2020. You can buy one and install it yourself if you want your car to start making more noise. We did to confirm it worked and then disconnected it.
I would not count 100% on that, a Tesla service advisor called me and said that it is possible that the wiring is not installed. That was after I raised a service call to retrofit the speaker.

For the part number: Model Y - Pedestrian Warning System

Reactions: 52 16 57 39
While I am thankful not to have that noise, I completely understand why they are needed.

As with most of my other vehicles - I enjoy the mod and customization process. If I had the speaker and that noise, I would purchase the delete kit/plug.

AND the minute we can customize the noise to coconuts, I’d install the speaker & I’m all in!

Is there a code or law that states how the noise must sound? Thinking of other hybrid and EV noises - would/could using a coconut sound be illegal?

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

Are you aware of any detailed instructions or videos on how to install (permanent) in the location where the grill is on the underside?