Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My request that the Arizona Attorney General's office investigate Tesla's changes to Ludicrous Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll have to recharge and try it with launch mode. I tried to use it a few day ago and couldn't get it to engage. I kept getting both pedals pressed warning. I had to drive in a straight line for awhile to get it to work. I had both ludicrous and max battery set.
Ive found you have to firmly press the brake petal to activate launch mode, I'm usually much more successful after doing that!

Ive found you have to firmly press the brake petal to activate launch mode, I'm usually much more successful after doing that!
Man, I was jamming the brake pedal to the floor. It got quite spongy after my second or third attempt. I had just come out of a curve and was lined up on a straight. I think the car is real sensitive to having the steering wheel centered. I tried visually centering it, but it wasn't until I drove straight for awhile that it worked. Coincidence?

Last edited:
Well I can now confirm that the car will pull 1620 ish amps with max battery on which is about where it was before this whole mess started in September of last year. Id only had my car 3 months with this power level so its nice to have it back again though annoying that it took 11 months to get it my car back to how it was originally. Ill try to do a 100% charge and test tomorrow morning for max output numbers previously my best was 511Kw on my old pack haven't really tested my new one at 100% with Max Battery Ready....

Thanks @azdryheat for getting us that last piece of the puzzle in all of this, full 1600 amps in normal driving mode!

So , was there really a verified reduction , and is it gone now ? (what would be the way to test/reproduce for such reduction ?)
(mine P90DL have been serviced, and upgraded few days ago.)

Yes there was.

It seems at least for P90DL V3 the amp limit is now gone. kW may be still down a 10 or so?

No idea about 90DL V1,2 and P100D that also lost power...

Superb job @azdryheat - the Tesla community owes you a great big thanks!

Just got done testing my car.

Power is back. I had an issue yesterday with the power dropping off after a few runs. The temp was 108F and I was probably only giving it 60 seconds between runs. Took it to the Service Center and they are looking at logs.
This morning it is only 90F at 7 am and waited 5 minutes between runs. Just under 500KW on each run, which is about the best I have ever recorded. I know some have seen 505 or so, but I never saw it that high on my car. Going to Wild Horse Pass Raceway on September 8th to confirm, but I am sure I have my power back.

To all who sent me PM's with information and support, thank you.

Also thanks to Robert M at Tesla. Please, please, please tell your boss that you have to communicate something to the customer.

Jon McNeill: This could have (and should have) been handled better (and at less cost). Your word is the most important thing you have and you let down your customers on this one. Tesla is just starting a huge explosion of customers and the reputation of the company is vital to your long term viability. You need to do what you say and also make a much more visible effort to work with customers. Saying nothing says that Tesla does not care or is unwilling to do anything for the customer.
Most owners want Tesla to be around a long time and be a leader in this industry.

Power is back.
Thanks for your persistence on this issue.

My best non-LaunchMode (but with battery heating and ~85% SOC) 1/4 mile time from Sacramento in June '17 on the P100D was 11.069. On the same day, in the other lane the best P100D was also 11.069 (his was first).

If you can answer and have the answer (or a good guess), do you expect that number to improve with the firmware version you mentioned for either of our cars? (Or do you believe it not to impact non-LaunchMode P100D performance?)

Thanks.

Note: I don't have it handy, but I could probably find in my logs which firmware version my car had @ Sacramento if there's some ambiguity that affects the answer. It was probably at least 17.16.35, and older than 17.24.30 (based on my ev-fw entries).

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Thanks for your persistence on this issue.

My best non-LaunchMode (but yes battery heating) 1/4 mile time from Sacramento in June '17 on the P100D was 11.069. On the same day, in the other lane the best P100D was also 11.069 (his was first).

If you can answer and have the answer (or a good guess), do you expect that number to improve with the firmware version you mentioned for either of our cars? (Or do you believe it not to impact non-LaunchMode P100D performance?)

Thanks.

Note: I don't have it handy, but I could probably find in my logs which firmware version my car had in July if there's some ambiguity that affects the answer. It was probably at least 17.16.35, and older than 17.24.30 (based on my ev-fw entries).

I think you will do better with the update. In October 2016, my best time was 10.991 (2016 MS P90DL v3 battery). In June 2017 I was around 11.1 to 11.2. Hoping on 9/8/17 to be back in the 10's.

@azdryheat did the entire Tesla community a service. Many, including myself were critical of his approach but his method proved to be very effective. An enormous thank you to him.

A take away is that @azdryheat took Tesla to a limited jurisdiction court and Tesla responded with a fix. Shows Tesla's willingness to act to remedy poor company decisions without intervention of a judgement. What internally motivated them and compelled their final performance is hard to speculate on.

I wonder if this could have been solved without a lawsuit. Not saying it could have, but I wonder.

The question for some (not me) might be, will Tesla compensate those whose performance was effected for nearly a year? or is the community at large satisfied merely by their performance?

@azdryheat did the entire Tesla community a service. Many, including myself were critical of his approach but his method proved to be very effective. An enormous thank you to him.

A take away is that @azdryheat took Tesla to a limited jurisdiction court and Tesla responded with a fix. Shows Tesla's willingness to act to remedy poor company decisions without intervention of a judgement. What internally motivated them and compelled their final performance is hard to speculate on.

I wonder if this could have been solved without a lawsuit. Not saying it could have, but I wonder.

The question for some (not me) might be, will Tesla compensate those whose performance was effected for nearly a year? or is the community at large satisfied merely by their performance?

Thanks.

Hard to tell what would have happened, but I think it could have been done better. Tesla didn't say a word to me for six weeks except through the court. When they flew in, we came to the agreement that I asked for 6 months ago.

I am not asking for any compensation and don't think Tesla will offer it. I just wanted what I paid for. Actually cost me a few dollars, but I am ok with it.

I would say doubtful, since Tesla had offered him a resolution but required an NDA to get it. And before this @Walta got a resolution that required an NDA. (And who knows how many others have done signed an NDA to get something.)

Speaking of which, @Walta now that the power has been returned are you still happy with your arrangement with Tesla over this?

I did some more runs to answer questions some had.

Max battery still controls the last 100 amps of ludicrous mode, so you do get an immediate increase in power when it is enabled.

I see no difference in the current and zero to sixty times between launch and non-launch mode. I did eight zero to sixty runs over a ten minute period to see if there was any fade in power at azdryheat's request. There wasn't. The first of eight was with launch mode, and was 2.579 seconds. The last was without launch mode and coincidentally was also 2.579 seconds. The best of the eight was 2.557 seconds with a max power of 506KW. The rest were right around 2.57 to 2.58 seconds. I was careful to use the timestamps for these runs.

I did some more runs to answer questions some had.

Max battery still controls the last 100 amps of ludicrous mode, so you do get an immediate increase in power when it is enabled.

I see no difference in the current and zero to sixty times between launch and non-launch mode. I did eight zero to sixty runs over a ten minute period to see if there was any fade in power at azdryheat's request. There wasn't. The first of eight was with launch mode, and was 2.579 seconds. The last was without launch mode and coincidentally was also 2.579 seconds. The best of the eight was 2.557 seconds with a max power of 506KW. The rest were right around 2.57 to 2.58 seconds. I was careful to use the timestamps for these runs.
Fantastic news!

Has anyone with a v2 battery tried this software release yet?