Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla tried to kill us today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a MS75D from late 2018, its got EAP. (Europe so severely limited)
I had lane departure warning set to warning(checked right after) and was not using autopilot at the time of the incident.
My software version is 2020.48.30

I had just exited a roundabout, going under a bridge, the lane markings were full stripes(means you are not allowed to cross) going about 70km/h. Suddenly the car takes over the steering and pulls heavily to the left trying to cross over to the oncoming traffic. Luckely I was holding the steering wheel with both hands and I managed to grab control and pull us back right before we crashed into a car coming towards us in the other lane.

I had both my kids in the car and my wife so im really glad we did not crash.
Really nervous to get in the car again now.
Anyone experienced anything simillar?
I did not know the car could control the steering when not in AP and lane departure assistance is not set to assist..

Can you share the video of the incident? You should also contact Tesla so that they can investigate. Also some hackers (who have been investigating unintented acceleration) could maybe help dig some logs to see what's up.

For me, something like this happened, but it turned out to be a toddler sitting on the other front seat, I just couldn't fathom it at the moment, they had played with some controls. Keep kids at safe distance from controls.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
Can you share the video of the incident? You should also contact Tesla so that they can investigate. Also some hackers (who have been investigating unintented acceleration) could maybe help dig some logs to see what's up.

For me, something like this happened, but it turned out to be a toddler sitting on the other front seat, I just couldn't fathom it at the moment, they had played with some controls. Keep kids at safe distance from controls.

I dont have a video of it, I didnt even consider saving the dashcam footage, was just super shocked and tried to figure out what had happened.

I would contact Tesla if it was possible, but sadly the only way to contact them in Norway is to book a service appointment in the app then show up for it in person.

In Norway toddlers and children are not allowed to ride in the front seat so definately not that

• Funny
Reactions: hugh_jassol
Autopilot is only to be using on freeways and highways, while you hands are on the wheel. Appears you used it on surface streets. Occasionally AP will do things like this and you must always be watching it. Glad you and your family are safe.

and was not using autopilot at the time of the incident.

Luckely I was holding the steering wheel with both hands and I managed to grab control and pull us back right before we crashed into a car coming towards us in the other lane.

I did not know the car could control the steering when not in AP and lane departure assistance is not set to assist..

@TexasTeslaRacing Did you read the post you are responding to?

I had just exited a roundabout
Sounds similar to the experience I mentioned in Would AP/FSD have prevented this crash?? where if it beeped at you, it probably was Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance thinking your attempted exit was swerving out of the curve. In my experience, the force to override the "corrective" steering is quite easy although indeed surprising.

Reactions: Patrick0101
I once had the car start alerting me and tell me "corrective steering applied for safety". At the time I was trying to make an exit and it made me miss it. Not sure why it did it. Wasn't dangerous for me just annoying to have to argue with my car.

You were driving, so "luckily" you were holding the steering wheel. :rolleyes:
Q: How common is it for you NOT to be holding the steering wheel while driving, especially when going around turns?

Not using autopilot, but you claim the car takes over steering. o_O
Q: Does this happen often?

I had lane departure warning set to warning(checked right after) and was not using autopilot at the time of the incident.

I had just exited a roundabout, going under a bridge, the lane markings were full stripes(means you are not allowed to cross) going about 70km/h. Suddenly the car takes over the steering and pulls heavily to the left trying to cross over to the oncoming traffic. Luckely I was holding the steering wheel with both hands and I managed to grab control and pull us back right before we crashed into a car coming towards us in the other lane.

The great thing is that Tesla can look at the Driving Logs to see exactly what has happening and how you have all you settings set. Also, as was mentioned above, Autopilot is currently for Highway use.

I find this post extremely suspect as I've had both active lane departure and road departure correction activate multiple times and the steering force it uses is never anywhere close to overpowering. It takes significantly less force to override the say, to disengage Autopilot

I have noticed some strange behavior on my AP1 car. Occasionally, even though autopilot is not on, it beeps at me and says to take over! It does a little wiggling of the wheel but nothing much. Wonder if that somehow related in some corner of the software?

Sounds like it could be related, but then AP1 is on entierly diffrent AP software isnt it?
Do you have lane departure avoidance?

You were driving, so "luckily" you were holding the steering wheel. :rolleyes:
Q: How common is it for you NOT to be holding the steering wheel while driving, especially when going around turns?

Not using autopilot, but you claim the car takes over steering. o_O
Q: Does this happen often?

A: It was after already exiting, so I guess quite common. I normally drive using one hand and the other hand is just resting somewere. On longer stretches I usually just hold the wheel very lighty using my right hand on the bottom of the wheel.

A: Like I said in my post, ive never experienced anything like this. Ive driven the car for 40.000km now without anything like this, so in suspecting the latest software version

Reactions: henderrj
I find this post extremely suspect as I've had both active lane departure and road departure correction activate multiple times and the steering force it uses is never anywhere close to overpowering. It takes significantly less force to override the say, to disengage Autopilot

Thats fair, id find it suspicious as well.
In 40.000kms ive never experienced anything like this.
Ive never had lane departure set to active so I wouldnt know how that feels, but I know when using AP that it actually takes some force to overtake the steering. Im not talking heavy force, but enough so that if you arent prepared to overtake and ur only using one hand you might not make it quickly enough.
As I wrote above, I was going 70kmh so the amount of meters you move in a single second is quite significant

which Tesla do you have?

Reactions: henderrj