Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My two biggest problems with the cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you think the current output of that 240v outlet is? How clean is the sine wave, that will really determine how practical it is.

Tesla makes the power wall battery system with built in inverter that works perfectly to run all of the loads in a home. Do you seriously believe Tesla will have a poor implementation of this 120/240V outlet?

Reactions: Phlier and dhrivnak
Highly likely that built-in extendable ramp is a prototype fantasy that will not make it to production. Given the strength requirements to support an ATV the tailgate would have be be 9-12 inches thick and weigh 150+ lbs. Notice it was nowhere to be found on the demo cars.

What do you mean it was nowhere to be found. They pulled it out and drove an ATV up it...

I’m curious why are you using a 5th wheel on a 1/2 ton. Everyone I know using a 5th for horses uses a 3/4 at an absolute minimum. I have never seen a 5th wheel on a 1/2 ton. A 2-5/16” ball is good for upto 30k lbs so way beyond what a 1/2 ton can handle.
5th wheel trailers are far stabler,, easier to turn, park, etc., than a bumper pull. I towed a 2 horse aluminum full sized 5th wheel (with tack room) with a Ram 1500 for 11 years, in a hilly area. NO issues. I have upgraded my trailer and truck to a Ford F250, but the old Ram could still do it. A 4 -6 horse trailer needs a 3/4 or 1 ton, but a full sized V8 1/2 ton has no issues pulling a 5th wheel.

Reactions: NoMoGas
That's a somewhat specific use case, I don't think it's a large portion. Most of the guys I know who own trucks just throw *sugar* in the back or go camping. Hell, both of them have camper shells. One does have a Lance on his though.

I'm a horse farmer. Where I live there are 100's of guys like me that need this. We look at the "city boys" who buy the big pick ups to throw "sugar" in the back as being those who are compensating for something;)

Joking aside, it does push a portion of the market away from the cybertruck, and that includes me....

despite whatever torque it'll have, it wont have the kwh to tow inefficient trailers for required distance. Will it be a work vehicle, I don't know, time will tell. but it appears to have potential.
B-L18j8CUAAcvj5.png

upload_2019-11-24_21-34-49.png

where i use to work, it could take as little as 2 years to turn a new series 70 landcruiser into scrap, the motors were barely ran in and still in excellent condition, but the rest of the vehicle was scrap. Suspension kits are not difficult, but having FOPS, ROPs, engine bay wet brakes, etc, it all adds up. If the frame can last, the vehicle maybe can last

Reactions: coleAK
I have just spent the last hour reading comments on Facebook and I’m convinced there’s something going on in the US that’s making people extremely dumb. some examples of what I have read today about the cyber truck.

Whats the point of rear seats if there’s no back doors. (Yes there’s back doors)

The roof slopes so there’s no head room in rear seats. (There’s plenty of head room)

There’s nowhere for racks and how am I meant to load plywood from the side. (Who even loads plywood from the side in a 1/2 ton and how would you even do that with a rack on there! )

How will it handle towing 30k lbs and do a trip with that load for 1500-3000 miles. (It won’t do either because it’s a half ton and electric)

There’s no bed it’s a suv (it has a bed)

That cover stops you from putting stuff in the bed (yes it’s a cover like every other cover on a truck bed)

Where’s the ramp (I give up)

This truck is sending people salty insane. It has more capability than any half ton I have ever seen by a long shot. If it don’t fit your extreme needs don’t buy it lol

I have just spent the last hour reading comments on Facebook and I’m convinced there’s something going on in the US that’s making people extremely dumb. some examples of what I have read today about the cyber truck.

Whats the point of rear seats if there’s no back doors. (Yes there’s back doors)

The roof slopes so there’s no head room in rear seats. (There’s plenty of head room)

There’s nowhere for racks and how am I meant to load plywood from the side. (Who even loads plywood from the side in a 1/2 ton and how would you even do that with a rack on there! )

How will it handle towing 30k lbs and do a trip with that load for 1500-3000 miles. (It won’t do either because it’s a half ton and electric)

That cover stops you from putting stuff in the bed (yes it’s a cover like every other cover on a truck bed)

This truck is sending people salty insane. It has more capability than any half ton I have ever seen by a long shot. If it don’t fit your extreme needs don’t buy it lol
Yes there is. It's Fox News, CNN, etc....

the presentation was awful. i had most of the same questions at first. However, being a Tesla fan, i was on this site where a lot more media was shared so you can see how all that stuff actually is. The only video the gp has seen is of the glass break. It was a dumb presentation.

You think a Rivian with a tiny 4.5 foot bed is going to tow a 5th wheel? Rivian bed is 1 foot shorter than shown in this video:

SO YOU’D LIKE TO TOW A FIFTH WHEEL WITH YOUR 5½′ BED TRUCK? | Fifth Wheel Hitches by PullRite
Your point about the short bed Rivian is valid. The biggest issue I have with the Tesla is spelled out very nicely in your link......90 degree turns are normal when pulling a fifth wheel trailer, and the sloping sides of the Tesla won't allow it. The Rivian may not.....and perhaps the upcoming Ford F150. I may be stuck in ICE for a while longer

I think the Cybertruck is novel, and creative.....it just won't work for people like me. That's why I'm posting in the "problems" thread

How do you load long objects like plywood or drywall without sliding them in from the rear amd damaging them? Normally you have a second helper and load it from the side. There's no way to side load anything with the current design.

Also, how do you see out the front? The low slope of the windshield means the A-pillar will be huge/long. I have to imagine that will give very poor visibility out of the front.
I have never loaded plywood or drywall from the side in a pickup. Why would you lift it all the way over the side just to risk damaging the sheet while you awkwardly try and lay it flat?

I think it will sell well but probably to the wrong people! It's not going to make the F150 owners change. The other issue is the safety aspect. Is it going to meet any safety standards as it has reverted back to 1930's standards of building it like a tank. Wouldn't fancy being hit by that.
Have you seen a pickup truck before?