Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My two biggest problems with the cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your point about the short bed Rivian is valid. The biggest issue I have with the Tesla is spelled out very nicely in your link......90 degree turns are normal when pulling a fifth wheel trailer, and the sloping sides of the Tesla won't allow it. The Rivian may not.....and perhaps the upcoming Ford F150. I may be stuck in ICE for a while longer

I think the Cybertruck is novel, and creative.....it just won't work for people like me. That's why I'm posting in the "problems" thread
Agreed. I don’t see this working with a fifth wheel. It’s tough to design a one size fits all product. This thing does have many benefits over normal trucks. Pulling a fifth wheel probably isn’t one of them.

Reactions: doghousePVD
Ok so I reserved one but my biggest issues not mentioned above. First why a crappy air suspension? Ok for street cars but suck off road for numerous reasons. Second: I really hope if has viewable 360 cameras like my LX570 but with no side view mirrors how will I add tow mirror extenders? To be able to see around my camper? Also with 14k lb capacity, 5th wheel capability? Finally, winch? I can’t even think of how you would attach or wire on in.

Rear view mirror is easy enough to solve. Simply sell an accessory camera that can be mounted to the rear of the trailer that sends its signal to the rear view mirror. It’s currently just a monitor for a rear view camera anyway. Just select the feed you need displayed on the rear view monitor. When I tow all I see is the front of my trailer in the rear view mirror. Putting the feed from a camera mounted on the rear of my trailer would be much appreciated.

Rear view mirror is easy enough to solve. Simply sell an accessory camera that can be mounted to the rear of the trailer that sends its signal to the rear view mirror. It’s currently just a monitor for a rear view camera anyway. Just select the feed you need displayed on the rear view monitor. When I tow all I see is the front of my trailer in the rear view mirror. Putting the feed from a camera mounted on the rear of my trailer would be much appreciated.
I have a Bluetooth camera on the rear of my current camper. I’m talking about extended tow mirrors to be able to see down the sides of a camper that is much wider than the tow vehicle.
for lane changes and backing into tight spaces. Currently I use ones similar to this

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-24_8-28-26.jpeg
    upload_2019-11-24_8-28-26.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 64
I have a Bluetooth camera on the rear of my current camper. I’m talking about extended tow mirrors to be able to see down the sides of a camper that is much wider than the tow vehicle.
for lane changes and backing into tight spaces. Currently I use ones similar to this
Fair enough, I use those exact same mirrors myself. My understanding was the problem of seeing behind. As for checking the lanes beside when driving, I hope whatever they come up with for side view mirrors will work well for that. As for seeing exactly where I’m placing my wheels when reversing, yes that would likely be unaddressed. Thankfully my wife and oldest son have been well trained in guiding me when reversing. We’ve successfully manoeuvred into some pretty tight spots without issue.

Reactions: coleAK
The Model X has a simliar A pillar and I find that it does get in the way for some gradual left curves. It doesn't prevent me from staying in my lane since I just index the car off the right shoulder, but it does make it more difficult to see on-comming traffic.

I agree about the Model X. It isn’t a deal breaker, but it can be dangerous if you don’t realize this. I’ve almost driven into the path of a car due to this issue. I am now more careful, but if I’m tired and not thinking...

Your point about the short bed Rivian is valid. The biggest issue I have with the Tesla is spelled out very nicely in your link......90 degree turns are normal when pulling a fifth wheel trailer, and the sloping sides of the Tesla won't allow it. The Rivian may not.....and perhaps the upcoming Ford F150. I may be stuck in ICE for a while longer

I think the Cybertruck is novel, and creative.....it just won't work for people like me. That's why I'm posting in the "problems" thread

Legit question... How much work would it be to adapt a fifth wheel? Just need to angle the front and if you used a sliding hitch it would move the trailer to the back during turns.

8’ with the tail gate down for easy handling of 4x8 sheets.

Unless you are loading sheetrock or super thin panels which will break, or forklifting a full pallet of stuff in there, its way more convenient to just throw a few sheets in the truck with the tailgate still up. No straps, no worry of it sliding out or sliding around. Same with lumber up to 12' long. Just angle it down to the front and let it cantilever out over the top of the tailgate.

I agree it's a terrible design for loading.

I'm surprised people are actually somehow justifying not being able to reach in from the sides - those people have probably never actually used trucks for their intended purposes.

This is the EV version of a Brodozer. It's mostly for show, small projects, and maybe carrying a dirtbike or something.

• Disagree
Reactions: dhrivnak and keeney
All this talk about 5th wheels has me wondering about the battery location/size. Are we assuming the battery will reside between the wheel wells like our cars? I assumed the battery would extend at least partially thru the bed to get the extended range thing. Could complicate subbed reenforcement to support the 5th wheel ball.

All this talk about 5th wheels has me wondering about the battery location/size. Are we assuming the battery will reside between the wheel wells like our cars? I assumed the battery would extend at least partially thru the bed to get the extended range thing. Could complicate subbed reenforcement to support the 5th wheel ball.

It has been stated that the battery pack is under the cab area. It can't cross the cab/bed line as the vault cover retracts through that line into a roll under the vehicle. It was also stated that the tri-motor design would have a double stack pack. Part of the reason for this is to keep weight distribution in check. If you put 3,500lbs. in the bed you don't want the battery back there as well.

How do you load long objects like plywood or drywall without sliding them in from the rear amd damaging them? Normally you have a second helper and load it from the side. There's no way to side load anything with the current design.

Also, how do you see out the front? The low slope of the windshield means the A-pillar will be huge/long. I have to imagine that will give very poor visibility out of the front.

What?
WHY would you load plywood or sheet rock only from the side of a pickup truck, and why does loading it from the tailgate down position damage it (anything)?