Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate on Autopilot is Useless (2018.42.3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It can't be just that, because I am pretty certain that it has exited from the next to the right lane when it is a two lane exit. I will have to go confirm that in the next few days.

On the exits where it needs to be in, for example, the 2nd lane from the right, I'm pretty sure it just changes lanes to the right until there is only one lane visible to the right of it. So it's the same thing -- if that lane is about to disappear, it doesn't have any way to account for that.

The only way to fix this would be for them to have maps that actually map each lane on the highway separately, including when the lane appears and disappears, and ideally the exact shape of the lane. This is what the big boys use.

Do not try to use it through the construction in Tacoma. It does not yet know about the lane realignment. If you do use regular AP through there, be prepared to have to accelerate, as it will think you have gone to surface streets. It is annoying that it is not getting this yet via fleet learning, or kicking back to regular AP at a minimum.

Yeah, I can confirm that it doesn’t work at all passing through Tacoma.

If it was just Tacoma (or similar situations) I could understand, and wouldn’t feel that let down by it. Tacoma is a special pit of construction hell where I don’t see it being over anytime soon.

But, it doesn’t work from 405S (as far north as Bothell) all the way down past Tacoma.

I don’t recall having much issue with it past Olympia, and down to Portland.

Here are areas I couldn’t use autopilot on Nav.

405S to where the HOV lanes end because Navigate on Nav doesn’t like being in them regardless of the HOV setting.

Right before the junction from 405S to I5S because it thinks I need to be in the lane for I5N.

I5S somewhere south of Seattle, but north of Tacoma due to some weirdness where I wants me to be in the left most lane even though it’s miles before whatever exit/junction it’s thinks I have to be far away from.

Pretty much all of Tacoma, but that place is a mess. Normally AP is fine though.

After Tacoma traffic is too busy and aggressive that the slow lane changes of navigate on Nav often means it needs help.

Right before the 60 to 70mph speed change things suddenly open up. Where navigate on Nav is finally able to perform decently (as long as I’m not in the right lane).

It has enough room/time for lane changes, and where it’s not pushing me to change into a lane that I don’t need.

It works so well that it prompts to me to move out of the passing lane practically as soon as I’ve passed the car on the right.

One of the worst things is when it turns the blinker on when taking highway forks, but there isn't an actual fork there. I've had it turn on left signal, right, and then left again all in the span of 5 seconds where there are no actual forks. Other drivers probably think I'm drunk. And there's no way to stop it without disengaging NoA. It will also suggest a route-based lane change in the middle of a single lane on-ramp (I405 N->WA520 E) with no where to go. I think the map data it uses is just garbage, at least for the Seattle metro area.

Reactions: mtndrew1
I5S somewhere south of Seattle, but north of Tacoma due to some weirdness where I wants me to be in the left most lane even though it’s miles before whatever exit/junction it’s thinks I have to be far away from.
I have used it a few times through there with no problem between 405 and the Tacoma construction. I wonder was going on with your drive?

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I have used it a few times through there with no problem between 405 and the Tacoma construction. I wonder was going on with your drive?

Did it successfully take the 405S to I5S ramp? That's my biggest gripe as it hasn't changed recently. With mine it gets in the right lane for I5N, and not the lane I need to be in for I5S.

The only thing I could see being wrong is my maps version, but the fact that it lets me use NoA means it should be the latest version. I really wish Tesla would show the maps version.

There seems to be something wrong with the map themselves.

Another example would be I5N through Seattle, and avoiding the Seneca St exit.

In the Nav is said Seneca St exit, and then I5N.

Shouldn't it be stay on I5N? Why it wanting me to take the Seneca St. exit? What the nav said made no sense.

I'll have to double check this, but I recall NoA trying to get me into the Seneca St lane, but I was able to ignore it without it doing anything stupid (like braking). After I ignored it then I got the Navigation prompt that said to stay in the right two lanes (which was correct). Once I got to the tunnel then NoA said it was unavailable in the tunnel and turned itself off, and then back on once it got out of the tunnel.

After it got out of the tunnel it tried to get me out of the second to most left lane. There wasn't anything on the Maps to indicate why. I ignored it and eventually it went away. It's like it was confused about which lane I was in.

There is something wrong with how directions are being generated by the Nav. This is on a Model 3 (which should have the same maps as the Model S/X).

Last edited:
Tried Navigate on Auto Pilot for the first time on my wife’s new Model 3. I fell in love. I typically travel 80 miles each way for my commute and driving (or not driving) her car convinced me to to get a Tesla for myself. One issue I ran into was that on our first outing. The car properly took an exit to another highway on its own. The next day, as we were coming back on same route. I was expecting the car to exit on its own again but it did not and I had to suddenly take control and barely made the exit. Definitely some bugs in the system but I can’t wait for my Model X to arrive next week

Reactions: scottf200
One thing they changed recently was that when you take over, your set speed gets set to the speed you're physically traveling at the time of take over. Then when you re-engage AP, your set speed is that speed and not your selected speed. Serious, wtf...

I can imagine why, it stems from their bad decision to make turning the wheel cancel Autosteer but not TACC, that causes driver confusion and perceived unintended acceleration.

E.g.
1. Driver moves wheel to disengage AP and evade traffic (AP canceled sound plays)
2. In reality only Autosteer was cancelled, TACC is still enabled and set speed is much higher that current
3. Car accelerates suddenly since it's now clear of the lead car
4. User panics and hits brake or correctly realizes cruise was not actually cancelled

Actually a much worse example can happen on exit ramps with NoA, because when NoA disengages after exiting the highway the car will slow down/stop for cross streets after the ramp. But once the user moves the steering wheel and cancels Autosteer, it will accelerate back to the previous set speed into cross traffic.

It was super annoying on my last trip. AP2 generally sucks at autosteer, so I disengage quite often via turning the wheel. Every time I did so when not at my set max speed I had to then readjust my speed setting too. Never had to do this before. Could just correct whatever autosteer was doing wrong and reengage a few seconds later. No big deal. Now I also have to remember that if I wasn't going at my set speed I have to up it again... every time... otherwise I'm sitting there for several seconds waiting for the car to accelerate and only then realize that it had done the switcheroo on me.

At worst, this needs to be an option that can be disabled. I don't recall this change being documented in release notes, either.

Reactions: boonedocks
In what scenarios are you needing to disengage Autosteer? I did a hundred miles on it Wednesday in bad weather at night through two construction zones, and the only time I needed to touch it was when a truck crossed the line, which is hardly the fault of my car. I did stay out of the right lane as I know onramps and offramps can still cause reasons to disengage. Just curious what else is still bad, since I am not seeing patterns like I used to.

Nav on AP is getting better with each update. Not perfect yet but better.

I did notice something interesting on my test yesterday. There was a long exit where the exit lane parallels the highway, and then becomes a wide lane with the right side going to one off ramp and the left part of the exit lane going to another off ramp. Nav on AP took the exit pretty good but when I was in the exit lane, it asked me for a left lane change confirmation which I ignored. I am thinking that maybe because the exit lane widens, it wanted to stay to the left of the exit lane in order to take the correct off ramp. The problem is that it asked me for the left lane change confirmation when there was no real left lane except the highway lane. If I had accepted the lane change confirmation, would Nav on AP have tried to swerve me back into the highway lane or just move me slightly to the left to line up with the left off ramp? In any case, I ignored the lane change confirmation since I knew I was in the correct exit lane and I was fine since auto steer did a good job of keeping me centered in the exit lane that took me to the correct off ramp. It switched back to EAP, slowed down and took the off ramp perfectly.

• Informative
Reactions: avoigt
It was super annoying on my last trip. AP2 generally sucks at autosteer, so I disengage quite often via turning the wheel. Every time I did so when not at my set max speed I had to then readjust my speed setting too. Never had to do this before. Could just correct whatever autosteer was doing wrong and reengage a few seconds later. No big deal. Now I also have to remember that if I wasn't going at my set speed I have to up it again... every time... otherwise I'm sitting there for several seconds waiting for the car to accelerate and only then realize that it had done the switcheroo on me.

At worst, this needs to be an option that can be disabled. I don't recall this change being documented in release notes, either.

As you describe it this feature would be absolutely ridiculous.

I've certainly seen it adjust my speed setting, but I assumed I messed up. Either where I quickly re-enabled it going over the set-speed, or that I accidentally hit the scroll wheel that sets it.

I see absolutely no rationality in having the set speed get adjusted due to a take over event.

A take-over event is a temporary correction event. Either the car did something stupid, or someone on the road did something stupid.

Normally when I take over it's with the brake. This is the most likely event because I'm being cautious when someone cuts right in front of me. I'm not going to wait to see what AP/TACC might do.

Another take over event is with auto-lane change where it's either too slow to start it, or where it aborts half way. In my observation it aborts when there is a neural network detection. Where either it correctly aborted due to a positive detection or it wrongly aborted due to a false positive. In either case whatever reaction I had to the event shouldn't set the new speed.

The other common take-over event is with false braking where all I'm doing is reacting, and I don't mean to set any set speed. I'm just trying not to be an embarrassment on the road.

When I use the stalk to disengage, I can rengage at the setting I had before.

Is this different with using the wheel? I almost never do that.

Yes, if you cancel with the stalk it does not reset your TACC speed. However, I frequently need to take over RIGHT NOW and I always do that with the wheel, where my hands already are... no time to look for the stalk. The habit I've developed is to do this even in situations where I have a second to spare. I guess I will be broken of that habit -- I drove all day yesterday and spent a lot of time cursing at this new "feature".

• Informative
Reactions: Inside
However, I frequently need to take over RIGHT NOW and I always do that with the wheel, where my hands already are... no time to look for the stalk. The habit I've developed is to do this even in situations where I have a second to spare. I guess I will be broken of that habit -- I drove all day yesterday and spent a lot of time cursing at this new "feature".

It sounds like EAP makes you feel tense as a driver. The part I don't get is where you say "No time to look for the stalk" because I never look for the stalk, it's like a turn signal stalk - you already know where it is, you don't "look for it", you just flick it. I think with more seat time you will become more relaxed and feel more in control.

I've found the best way to exit EAP quickly and seamlessly is by using the stalk. By far.