Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation taking longer way...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing that affects my commute is that the nav system does not take into account that I can drive in the HOV lane which many times bypasses traffic on the LIE. So sometimes it wants to take me on other routes that are not as fast, but I don't know that there is a solution to this particular problem.
The solution would be to provide the user with route choices rather then just blindly deciding that for you. Most Nav systems provide route choices and waypoints.

In the next 12 months, we'll likely be replacing our 2nd car which is an ICE.

My wife likes to drive my Model S. She had wanted a Model X - but there are several design features she doesn't like (such as the lack of folding center row seats). So, we'll likely consider getting a second Model S.

However, the software continues to be a major disappointment. The quality is poor - annoying bugs in the media player (USB playing after resume from sleep, losing radio presets, glitches while playing music) and I end up rebooting the software periodically while driving to get things working again. Plus, even the basic apps (media and navigation) are missing expected features (waypoints, playlists, route customization, real time traffic warnings, ...).

Not sure the frustration with the software quality and functionality will end up affecting our decision. It was understandable the software would have quality & functionality limitations when we got the first Model S in early 2013 - but that's 3 years ago, and we're still having quality problems - and the media & navigation software are still missing basic features.

As long as there isn't another long range EV available, we'll likely end up purchasing another Model S. But, if there was an alternative - the deficient software could discourage us from buying another Tesla.

Reactions: msnow
Nav is perfect, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

20160615_175545.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: HillCountryFun
Nav is perfect, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

View attachment 181106
Not knowing if your joking or not my only comment is that I have heard a few people say they didn't have a problem with it but that was just a very few. I'm wondering if it only sucks depending on where you live.
You have to admit though that it's missing important features like waypoints and route choices that are standard on even non luxury cars.

Not knowing if your joking or not
Have you opened the attachment in the above post? That should explain if I'm joking or not.

I had about 4-5 other ones just like it saved, but when TMC updated their site, I think I lost all my previous attachments. They're somewhere posted in other threads.

And in case, after clicking the attachment, it's not obvious - yes, I'm joking. The nav is horrendous. It does stupid things, ALL THE TIME. When I take long trips, I use Google Maps on my cell phone right next to the huge 17" screen, because 10/10 times my cell phone will route me better.

Have you opened the attachment in the above post? That should explain if I'm joking or not.

I had about 4-5 other ones just like it saved, but when TMC updated their site, I think I lost all my previous attachments. They're somewhere posted in other threads.

And in case, after clicking the attachment, it's not obvious - yes, I'm joking. The nav is horrendous. It does stupid things, ALL THE TIME. When I take long trips, I use Google Maps on my cell phone right next to the huge 17" screen, because 10/10 times my cell phone will route me better.
Yeah, sorry I missed it.

The NAV software thinks it takes FIVE MINUTES to drive the past 2 houses on my block - to get to my house.

And, while my house is less than 2 years old - the street has been there for much longer, so having a new street that's missing in the Navigon map database isn't an excuse.

We use the Tesla navigation only as advice - not as a guarantee it has selected the best route. The real-time traffic data isn't always correct (especially on highways with multiple lanes or around toll booths with full speed drive-through lanes). And when that data shows a slowdown - that doesn't really exist, the software unnecessarily routes around it - sometimes using strange routes through surface streets.

Overall, the routing is pretty good - and we do follow the Tesla routes most of the time.

Hi! Fairly new owner and love the car. . .but now really confused by NAV. Thought I was going to find that I just didn't know how to use it correctly. I frequently have to travel from Atlanta, GA to just south of Charleston, SC. Imagine how thrilled I am at the new Supercharger in Augusta, GA (almost exactly half way)! Thought I would do a test today and program my route. When I tried, it took me straight to the new Augusta SC, then over almost to Columbia, then down I-26 and off the road to the SC in Santee, SC and finally on to my destination. Almost 2 hrs. and 1 additional charge that is not needed. There is waay more than enough charge to get straight from Augusta to my destination. Anyway, this just doesn't make sense. Is this the kind of performance others are finding? I think I'll take it to my local Sales/Service Center and show them. . .(hmm, Supercharger, Sales Center, and South Carolina, al "SC" abbreviations!)

I think everyone agrees that the nav system is pretty bad and missing a lot of features that are in many much older vehicles. I still love my Tesla and my next car will probably be an X, but sometimes I question their priorities and wonder why seemingly obvious flaws go unfixed for so long. Years later, I'm still wondering when they're going to start caring about their iPhone app again, maybe update it for the larger displays that have been out for years now, or maybe add some frequently requested functionality.

I believe I saw something on Electrek.co recently which reported that version 8.0 will finally address the nav system. But, who knows when that will be out, or what changes they'll actually make. Here's to hoping...

Reactions: markn455 and msnow
I agree the system is crap. My hand-held Garmin is better, but the best is Waze on my phone. It gives me a choice of routes and each is adjusted for traffic. Every time I leave home or return the Tesla system picks a route that is 8 miles further and 15 minutes longer. (That's how much it changes when I turn to go my quickest route which is on main roads. It also constantly tries to route me through gated communities.

When I was in Savannah I plugged in the local supercharger and it took me 20 minutes out of the way. I know that because when I returned, it took me back the short route. I wouldn't use it at all except that it has supercharges pre-programed. I know now not to trust that either. Get the address of the supercharger and enter it on my phone.

I've tried to use the Waze for Tesla on the car's internet access, but it doesn't have the features of the phone app and is slow.

The Tesla system is light years better than what was in my Ford. It was Traffic Aware But Don't Care. :)

I've had a Ford 2010 Fusion hybrid, 2013 Fusion Titanium and currently a 2015 Taraus Sho. I think the Ford Nav system in these are excellent. Combined with the Sirius weather/traffic I'v found it to be much better than the Nav systems I've seen in my friend's cars. Getting the feeling my Model S Nav is going to leave me using my iPhone for navigation. :-(

The navigation system is absolutely the worst feature of my Model X. I hope the recent change in managers will quickly rectify this major deficiency. Routing in the Myrtle Beach, SC is awful. I no longer use it and resort to Google Maps on my iPhone placed in a holder on the dash. Such a shame that I have a built-in beautiful 17" screen and have to resort to a 4.7" screen--at least let allow me to screencast until the nav becomes useful--or alternative apps are supported.

Examples:
For a trip to Charlotte, it wants to route me through a charging station in Lumberton. It is only 163 miles and I have 250 miles range! I bypassed the nav and arrived with 70 miles residual. It does not seem to consider better routing on secondary roads.

For travel to my rural home from Myrtle beach, it wants to navigate me 50 miles longer through a circuitous path rather than the direct, shorter and quicker one. I believe their map systems does not know the 55mph speed limit on many of these roads and assumes some ridiculously low value (25?) for its calculations. In many cases, it doesn't even know the roads at all--indicating the road I am on is a dead end. (It is not.) Very frustrating on an otherwise delightful vehicle.

Further, I wish it could learn that the road I enter from my driveway is 55mph. I am constrained on AutoSteer to 45mph--yet I travel this road daily. Arghhh...

Tesla will have to fix the navigation software - hopefully sooner than later.

As the AP software and hardware evolve, and AP starts following the navigation routing (not just staying in the same lane), the navigation maps must be up-to-date and accurate, and the navigation routing must make sense.

The current combination of Navigon, Google and Tesla data and software was a reasonable short-time-to-market solution - to get navigation into the first production cars. But that was over 4 years ago, and since then, except for the "beta" trip planner, we really haven't seen much improvement to the navigation software.

What's especially frustrating, is that the hardware and software are capable of doing so much more - and that Tesla (at least so far) hasn't felt it was a high priority to make the needed improvements to the onboard navigation software (or the media player).

Navigation Supercharger cancel would NOT work for me with multiple tries the other day. Argh!

We drove from Madison, WI to Green Bay, WI for the pre-season game last week (Go Pack Go!) and because it took 55% of the battery to do so, I did an L2 charge up to 62-ish percent and then drove home after the game. However, the nav system would not route me to Madison! It insisted on going to the Sheboygan Supercharger, which would take us 40 minutes out of the way plus charging time. I knew from trip up that going back we could make it, but it kept adding it. I pushed the "X" to cancel it, but it would not cancel. Fortunately I knew the way home, because nav was useless. I re-tried it enroute, and finally about halfway home it begrudgingly let me route to Madison.

Another odd thing, despite calculating we'd get home with only 2% remaining, it never once suggested the Madison Supercharger which is 10 miles before my house. Weird!

I'm not sure if it was altitude or bad calculations on my part, but the delta between estimated miles remaining and distance left to travel kept getting smaller at a rate that would have them cross before reaching home, so I drove a little slower and we made it home with 5 miles / 1% remaining. Lowest I've ever taken it, but I knew I could have driven through town instead of around if I needed a few more miles range, so I was not worried.

Any plans of fixing the navigation? I have no confidence in the routes provided, and therefore, don't use it at all. Why can't they use Google Maps for navigation? It clearly isn't the same since Google maps will give me a different and better route than my Tesla.

• Love
Reactions: msnow