Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Neighborhood too modest for model s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My husband and I have been talking about getting a model s for a while now and we're getting closer. However I have a bit of a concern that a model s will stick out too much in the neighborhood we live in. Did anyone else have this concern before buying?

My husband and I have been talking about getting a model s for a while now and we're getting closer. However I have a bit of a concern that a model s will stick out too much in the neighborhood we live in. Did anyone else have this concern before buying?

Do you have a garage? What's the parking / vehicle storage situation like? The car will stand out wherever you go I'm sure, but perhaps get a neutral color that doesn't stand out as much, silver perhaps.

we live in a modest neighborhood and I can understand your concern. I have been pleased with how broadly the model S has been received within our neighborhood and just driving around in general. sometimes with high end cars there is a certain jealously or disdain that gets stirred up for some people. I'm happy to say that I've found that a wide range of folks, regardless of what they can afford, seem to have a deep appreciation for the Model S. The beauty and styling as well as the remarkable innovative nature of the S seems to be an equalizer of sorts, it has near universal appeal... don't worry about what people will think. I believe that the best attitude is to be modest in explaining how you came to decide to take the plunge and just not worry about it.

I am/was in a similar situation, but got no illwill or jealousy. More congratulatory remarks, some shock, and a couple of test drives. I think there is a difference in public perception between showing up in a $90k Model S compared to a $90k Mercedes. Have trouble putting my finger on it, but I guess it's related to why I would never spend that cash on any other car.

It seems that those who usually reserve judgement of excess spending on a frivolous item see this vehicle as a albeit expensive, responsible decision to reduce carbon footprint, and with the electric only feature, the environmental advantages outweigh the financial costs.

My wife is one of those people who doesn't see why someone should spend $100k+ on any car, but she really loved the model S from the first test drive. I had a new Porsche sports car on order, the next in a line of similar sports cars I've had. While she doesn't frown on my previous sports car purchases, she is really embracing the model S and has told me that she is very glad that I am purchasing this as a responsible car versus another Porsche. Bonus points.

Better worry about this than the other way round ... a member on a motorcycle message board I'm on once wrote a post about his life in a a gated community ... three days after he moved in there were threee ladies from the home owners association knocking on his door, complaining about how his car (a new F-150) didn't fit in the neighbourhood because it was too cheap and he had better get a Caddilac Escalade or something similar ASAP, or else! :eek:

The Model S will stick out in ANY neighborhood.

^^^This. It's a stunning car in so many ways. People will notice it. There are many reasons I bought a Model S. Not even on the list was what the neighbors think. I wasn't concerned what they thought when I drove my Prius for 6 years, and I'm not concerned now. I try to sell one whenever I can. I'll take a lot of time to help them understand my reasoning if they are interested. If not, or they simply don't understand; it's not my problem.

We're on the spearhead of a revolution. In your heart you know this. Join us.:smile:

In 20 years your neighbors will be driving EV's and most of them will think it was their idea.

I just got my S so have not yet encountered any reactions of note. But I do range between a gated community and the Walmart parking lot and everything in-between so it should be interesting to see what happens. This is one reason I ordered a license plate frame that specifically states "Made in the USA". That should hold off the xenophobes, at least.

FWIW:

We live in a very rural neighborhood (My brother and I launched an anvil yesterday in the back yard pasture and the only one who complained was the 12 year old golden retriever). Video below.

(blew out the side wall and need to re-machine another - but that is not what you are asking)

Anyway, I (we) are a bunch of rednecks. We spray hornets with brake cleaner, launch anvils, and other childish things that, under city restrictions would be considered terrorism. The houses in our area are just about the same price as the Tesla Model S. So, having said that, we certainly have all the reason to stick out. But so does the guy who has a burn pile in his FRONT yard, and the guy who has the camper trailer that is partially submerged in his pond.

I agree with the poster that said that the Model S will stand out in ANY neighborhood. And if I can be so bold, what does it matter what anyone ELSE thinks? I have found myself getting all wrapped around the axle in the past worrying about what other people think.

(ironically, what would anyone care what I think).

Anyway, enjoy the car, and ignore anyone else who give you any malarkey.

Respectfully submitted,
WJ
(looking for a structurally sound 55# anvil)

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a Model S owner just down the street from my office who lives in a trailer park (no garage, so the car is always parked out front). Granted, it is probably the nicest looking house in the neighborhood, but I don't think you'll find a much more modest neighborhood than that.

We had the same issues with the Roadster. There is a "pass" given to a car that does not pay for gasoline. Add in that it's American and green and it becomes the good kind of envy.

The new 2013 Tesla, comes with built in disdain remover.

The fact that this thread even exists so SO encouraging! Those in the media that keep repeating the "rich man's toy" refrain have no idea how wrong they are-- how universal the appeal of this car is.

I have often dreaded the inevitable question about how much it costs from admirers. When I say it starts around $70K but ours is high-end and over $100K, almost always everyone, PARTICULARLY those who seem to be of average or modest means, nod and say, "that's fair", or "huh, I expected higher." People see and appreciate the quality. I think Franz mastered the delicate balance between flash and understated elegance. The car stands out, but in a polite and refined way. It exudes the pragmatic idealism that gave it birth.

The fact that this thread even exists so SO encouraging! Those in the media that keep repeating the "rich man's toy" refrain have no idea how wrong they are-- how universal the appeal of this car is.

I have often dreaded the inevitable question about how much it costs from admirers. When I say it starts around $70K but ours is high-end and over $100K, almost always everyone, PARTICULARLY those who seem to be of average or modest means, nod and say, "that's fair", or "huh, I expected higher." People see and appreciate the quality. I think Franz mastered the delicate balance between flash and understated elegance. The car stands out, but in a polite and refined way. It exudes the pragmatic idealism that gave it birth.

plus and plus 1. very well stated.

When questioned I respond with yes it is an expensive car, point out the tax credits and ask how much they spend on gas every month. I explain they could reduce that expense by 80%. I ask how they like sending air craft carriers to the middle east every time a OPEC King/dictactor sneezes. I point out the time I save by not going to gas stations and using HOV lanes. I tell them this is the first American car that I have owned and how this American company is starting to export this car to other countries. I finish by pointing our relentless search for oil is slowly destroying our world.

I don’t have the money to buy a Model S (or a Tesla Roadster either for that matter). But I still of course wholeheartedly support everyone who buys a Model S. IMHO Tesla is by far the most credible force on the planet* trying to get us to a substantially more sustainable future where we instead drive electric cars that are a lot more efficient than cars propelled by internal combustion engines.

If someone is offended because you and your husband buys a Model S, that is of course unfortunate. But IMHO, the only reason someone might be offended by you buying this car is simply because they (also) unfortunately, currently are misinformed.

If I were you, it would kill me a little – or a lot actually – each day if I had to live my life according to how other misinformed people viewed me, and the world we live in. I would honestly not be able to accept that.

According to your given location you live in Southern California. Why wouldn’t your neighbors – on top of everything else – support local high-tech good paying jobs in their own state?

Sincerely,
Claes

- - - Update: - - -

*On second thoughts, that might not be completely accurate. There are of course political movements and non-profit organizations in the democratic countries on this planet that also work very hard. But regardless of what everyone else is doing, Tesla is actually building stuff that works, and delivering it to anyone who can afford it.

Last edited: