Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 Gen 2 Adapter out of stock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting ready to have a a 14-50 outlet installed in my garage, and I noticed that the 14-50 adapter is out of stock on Tesla's website. Is this a common occurrence, and how long does it usually take to become available again?

Thanks!

I'm getting ready to have a a 14-50 outlet installed in my garage, and I noticed that the 14-50 adapter is out of stock on Tesla's website. Is this a common occurrence, and how long does it usually take to become available again?

Thanks!
If you plan to use the Tesla Mobile Connector w/NEMA 14-50 plug adapter for your daily charging:

1) The NEMA 14-50 receptacle is not designed for frequent plugging and unplugging of the power plug from the receptacle.

2) The charging cable on the Tesla Mobile Connector is ~18 feet long. Be certain that where you plan to install the NEMA 14-50 receptacle will enable you to reach the charging port on the Tesla vehicle (left rear quarter panel by the tail light assembly.) Otherwise you may find that you will need to back the Tesla vehicle into the garage to be able to charge.

3) Don't let the Mobile Connector chassis hang down supported only by the power plug adapter. The receptacle and the power plug adapter are not designed to support the additional weight of the Mobile Connector chassis or the charging cord. (Tesla sells a Cable Organizer kit for the Mobile Connector that includes a cable hanger for the charging cord and a wall mount (chassis holder) for the Mobile Connector chassis. (You can also find similar products to the Cable Orginizer on Amazon.) The Cable Organizer is currently in stock (I would suggest ordering one as they frequently are out of stock.) As with the NEMA 14-50 plug adapter you can enter your email address and you will be notified by Tesla when the item is available for purchase.

Cable Organizer

Reactions: SWIPE
The 14-50 adapter seems to be in/out of stock often. Usually just for a few days. That is probably why they charge more just for the 14-50 adapter.

Looks like the bundle of 7 adapters (including the 14-50) is in stock. $220.

Reactions: SWIPE

Thanks!
I’m sure it will be back in stock soon, but... while there’s still time consider the alternatives. You could install a 6-50 outlet instead if you like. Same charging performance and adapter is 10 dollars less. (The wire is cheaper to for that matter but that’s another story) . If you have nothing installed yet I recommend the Wall connector for the additional 140 bucks or so. Then keep the mobile connector in the car for travel.

If you have a service center near by I believe the 14-50 is the only one they usually keep in stock. I was able to get one from ours. Just a note make sure they close the ticket out they create or your car will be in ready to pickup status for a couple weeks.
What does this mean? What does purchasing the adapter have to do with my car order? Thanks.

What does this mean? What does purchasing the adapter have to do with my car order? Thanks.
If you go to the service center and buy something they have to open up a ticket. You won't see it as a service ticket under app service but it's still opened on their end. Then when you walk out of the store your app will say "Your car is ready to be picked up" on the app instead of parked or whatever, not sure if there are other implications like no updates. It will stay like this until you email them to close it or someone gets around to closing the ticket out. Mine was over 2 weeks before I got a hold of them to remove it. Was just giving you the heads up in case you went in to buy the 14-50.

If you go to the service center and buy something they have to open up a ticket. You won't see it as a service ticket under app service but it's still opened on their end. Then when you walk out of the store your app will say "Your car is ready to be picked up" on the app instead of parked or whatever, not sure if there are other implications like no updates. It will stay like this until you email them to close it or someone gets around to closing the ticket out. Mine was over 2 weeks before I got a hold of them to remove it. Was just giving you the heads up in case you went in to buy the 14-50.
Gotcha. I don’t have my car yet, so my app is pretty useless. Thanks.

Has anyone been able to get the adapter lately? I've been checking for a couple weeks now and it's always out of stock. Sellers on Amazon and Ebay try to gouge you by charging you 2 - 3 times as much. I'm starting to worry now because my car's EDD is 2/18 - 3/18.
I just got one 2 days ago.
Got the email & jumped on it right away.

Has anyone been able to get the adapter lately? I've been checking for a couple weeks now and it's always out of stock. Sellers on Amazon and Ebay try to gouge you by charging you 2 - 3 times as much. I'm starting to worry now because my car's EDD is 2/18 - 3/18.
Check with your local Tesla Service Center. The Service Center frequently has the 14-50 plug adapter for the Gen2 Mobile Connector in stock.

Also, enter you email on the Tesla site to be notified by when the 14-50 adapter becomes available.