Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 7 series bimmer v Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I'd be buying a Tesla center console as soon as they came back in stock, but after having the car for 5 days with no center console, I can't say that I miss it. (also my wife likes the minimalistic feel of not having one, so I think I'm not getting one after-all).

I am surprised that I don't want one after 2 months. In a way I like being forced to get rid of any crap that accumulates in the car.

I was able to order one last night (euro time). I was looking at all the stuff I have in my car right now
- Sunglasses
- Eye glasses (I HATE GETTING OLDER)
- Lotion (for those sensitive moments after a shower at the gym)
- Registration/Insurance/etc.etc.
- iPad (when I'm driving)
- Change
- Tissues
- Charging cable
- Pen
- etc

Also, sometimes you have stuff you want to conceal (not have in open view), and getting out of the car, opening the frunk etc. - yeah thats gonna draw attention.

Where do you keep all that stuff with no center console bro?

When were you able to order the console? I have been trying for a month and it is still listed as sold out.

The autopilot camera may not be suitable for a dash cam.

Yes, that worries me too. If that's the case, component vendors should be pressured to add HD dashcam capability - even if it means two cameras in the assembly.

[The rear camera] would require adding a on the fly video compression chip to make it viable as a dash cam.

According to nVidia's specifications, the Tegra chips do have hardware acceleration for several HD video compression algorithms. Whether this intrudes on resources tied up with other processes I don't know; you'd have to ask a developer about that. It wouldn't surprise me if it did, given the difficulty implementing reversing lines.

That reminds me: Why do the Tesla Model S displays use low-power processors designed for small mobile devices, when they could just as easily have had something from a graphics workstation? It's not like thermal management or battery life are going to be issues when packaged in an EV...

Yes Teslas headlights are more attractive. Someone spotted a model s mule with LED headlights recently. I thought that looked ugly.

laser headlights can be more functional though and they can achieve the tesla look. And some people are crazy about the bmw eyes.

- - - Updated - - -

When were you able to order the console? I have been trying for a month and it is still listed as sold out.

I was trolling around on TMC forums and saw a message that it's available. Saw it was available, and pulled the trigger immediately. 5 mins later, it was sold out.

The Apple Watch costs less than $84 to make - Business Insider
$50 sales tax (Obama's share - or well not Obama personally, but you know what I mean).
Tim Cook has said IHS cost estimates are always very far off, and the the Business Insider article even points out how silly the numbers are since they do not count "staff costs, marketing, patent royalties, or research and development"

Obama (or more appropriately, the federal government) get $0 from sales tax, that is strictly a state and local tax. I have not even heard Fox News try to blame Obama for sales tax...

- - - Updated - - -

Complaining about sales tax on this forum when Tesla or better said EV are heavily subsidies by taxes is pretty funny.
Not really that funny.

I paid almost $7000 in sales tax on my Model S. And CA gave me a $2500 credit. And don't get me started on the 10% income tax they take.

Wow, talk about loading a car up with a bunch of junk.

I'm a BMW fan. I drive a 5 series now. Love the sophisticated interior comfort and toys, but this 7 goes way over the top. I never thought I'd accuse BMW of toy clutter, but man, this has it in spades. The opulence detracts from an otherwise classy car.

I dont like like the silver interior trimmings either. Looks plastic.

The gestures are just stupid. I never considered pressing buttons to be a bad thing. Especially since we have them on the steering wheel, where our hands are.

The auto park, too slow, and when would I do this as opposed to, I don't know... Driving it into its parking space. This is a general criticism. I'm sure I'll feel the same about Teslas auto park capability.

The ambient light show is totally unnecessary, seems to only benefit the rear passengers, but oddly I like it.

Not for me. I Still only have eyes for Tesla Model S.
Looks like a fun limo though.
China is going to love it.

Yes, that worries me too. If that's the case, component vendors should be pressured to add HD dashcam capability - even if it means two cameras in the assembly.

According to nVidia's specifications, the Tegra chips do have hardware acceleration for several HD video compression algorithms. Whether this intrudes on resources tied up with other processes I don't know; you'd have to ask a developer about that. It wouldn't surprise me if it did, given the difficulty implementing reversing lines.

That reminds me: Why do the Tesla Model S displays use low-power processors designed for small mobile devices, when they could just as easily have had something from a graphics workstation? It's not like thermal management or battery life are going to be issues when packaged in an EV...
Probably because of ease of integration for GSM/4g.

The auto park, too slow, and when would I do this as opposed to, I don't know... Driving it into its parking space. This is a general criticism. I'm sure I'll feel the same about Teslas auto park capability.

I suppose you have never tried to park a car of this size in a normal European public parking garage? It's a complete pain as the parking slots simply weren't designed to accommodate cars of this size. This feature will be well liked by those people who aren't able or willing to leave or to enter their cars like a contortionist.

As to the gestures, if you don't like them, then don't use them.

(snip)
(snip)

Just curious, do you think you would like your car to auto park without supervision ? Say you get out of the car, press a button on the keyfob, and walk away whilst the car park itself ? What if it worked this way only at home, after a one-time setup for the car to mesure your parking place ?

It's interesting to see that BMW is touting all the comfort and convenience elements of its new flagship car. Whatever happened to "The Ultimate Driving Machine" and a focus on automotive performance?

Of course, we know the answer: if you're looking for the ultimate drivers car you buy a Tesla P85D rather than a BMW 7-series (or the M5).

That said, Tesla still has some gaps to close, e.g. headlight systems, seats (though I haven't compared the NextGen to BMW's sports seats), and 360° overhead visualization, road noise dampening, and creak/rattle control.

7-series excels in a number of ways (especially rear seat comfort) but what I've learned from owning many different vehicles is one of the most important aspects of the driving experience is the transmission/gearbox.

Manual - engaging and fun but still requires skills most don't have in order to truly use properly and a pain in commuter traffic

Double-Clutch (DCT/PDK) - awesome for sports cars. Great control and little skill involved. Very engaging experience but still has to mash through gears

Automatic (ie. 7-series) - much better these days but not engaging. Still has to go through gears and downshift for passing power

Tesla - the single-speed system has blown me away and makes me frustrated with automatic transmissions.

Dont nut get me wrong, I like the looks of the Tesla - mostly because it is relatively rare (I bet if there were the opposite ratio of Teslas to BMWs on the road the bimmers would look more appealing) - but if the 7 had the underpinnings of the Tesla (electric drivetrain which is awesome) AND the 17" screen I would not hesitate to buy the BMW.

I suppose the the bottom line for me is the screen and the drivetrain put Tesla above all other sedans on the market.

3s-a-charm (named after my first 3 cars being 3-series BMWs)

I suppose you have never tried to park a car of this size in a normal European public parking garage? It's a complete pain as the parking slots simply weren't designed to accommodate cars of this size. This feature will be well liked by those people who aren't able or willing to leave or to enter their cars like a contortionist.

True. I've never parked in Europe. I tend to aim for the bigger, isolated spaces if I can.

Sure, but it bothers me that they spent R&D dollars on such a boneheaded feature.

How about instead they solve the spare tire problem, and not depend on runflat tires.
I love my car (even though I lust for the tesla), but the runflats have been a huge disappointment. They ride like bricks, and fail if the wind blows. I've had more tire and wheel problems with this car than any of my prior cars put together - all because of runflats and no spare - oh, and potholes.

- - - Updated - - -

Just curious, do you think you would like your car to auto park without supervision ? Say you get out of the car, press a button on the keyfob, and walk away whilst the car park itself ? What if it worked this way only at home, after a one-time setup for the car to mesure your parking place ?

I don't think I'd use it in practice.

At home I pull into my garage, press the homelink to close the garage door, leave the car and walk into my house.

I have no need to get out of the car first.

The only thing about auto parking that is appealing to me is the demo factor, which isn't worth paying for.

- - - Updated - - -

It's interesting to see that BMW is touting all the comfort and convenience elements of its new flagship car. Whatever happened to "The Ultimate Driving Machine" and a focus on automotive performance?

Of course, we know the answer: if you're looking for the ultimate drivers car you buy a Tesla P85D rather than a BMW 7-series (or the M5).

That is an interesting (and sad) point.

A friend of mine who recently bought a Model S said, BMW no longer holds the title for the ultimate driving machine.

I know you guys already know that, but this was the first time I heard somebody say it.
And I couldn't disagree with him.

I bet that'll be popular. Imagine coming out to find a BMW 4 inches from your driver side door.