Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 7 series bimmer v Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bigger screen, always connected, slacker radio, autopilot, updating over air, remote diagnostics etc. tech toys.

BMW ConnectedDrive, BMW Assist, BMW Teleservice Diagnosis

Also what will Autopilot do that the 7 series can't do?

And wouldn't be suprised if the 7 series doesn't have over the air updates at least for all the navigation and entertainment software.

Headlights are better than the Tesla's?

Ya.... No.
You know headlights have functions? Not just about looking cool...

CES 2015 BMW Audi Laser Headlights - YouTube

I'm curious how the gesture controls will fare in the real world.

For me, I'd rather be able to keep my hands on the steering wheel. I am particularly fond of Tesla's clickable scroll wheels. When I watched the BMW video, for each gesture the presenter demonstrated, I thought of how I'd perform the comparable task using Tesla's scroll wheel or buttons, and wound up thinking that I vastly preferred not having to wave my right hand in the middle of the air in front of the dashboard.

Alan

Interesting stuff. Nothing really impressed me beyond the much better seats, and the key fob with the screen in it to control parking. That being said, what autopilot is supposed to be able to do soon renders the need for an LCD in your key fob to a gimmick.

Jeff

We have an SL550 and a Model S.
We love the Model S more, but the SL is WAY sexier. We will keep until Tesla comes up with a convertible we want. The Roadster is too small and utilitarian.

Are you kidding me? The sl550 looks fog ugly. I didnt know what it looked like at first until i googled it. I would mich rather have the bmw 7 series look over the sl550. Some mercedes look good. But definitely NOT the sl550.

Give her the "D" instead :wink::cool:

She's over the D and now the P so I am a loss for words.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you kidding me? The sl550 looks fog ugly. I didnt know what it looked like at first until i googled it. I would mich rather have the bmw 7 series look over the sl550. Some mercedes look good. But definitely NOT the sl550.

ewwwwwwwwwwww the 7 Series is fugly.

driving dynamics: do doubt Tesla wins. But the interior finish and creature comfort I think the Germans still has the upper edge. Car and Driver seems to agree as well.
2014 Tesla Model S vs 2014 Mercedes-Benz S550! - Head 2 Head Ep. 54 - YouTube

Once the stubborn German engineers change their mind and look outside the box, I think Tesla will have some serious competition. But by then Tesla will be way ahead of the game already.

My first car was a BMW, and I have no reason to dislike them as a company. However, this commercial was absurd. I'm not even sure who this advert is aimed at...maybe those considering a Rolls?

Seriously, what's up with the features in the rear?

Also, the design of the front end makes the it seem comically tall...

I'm sure it's a great car...but I just don't see the point of most of the "innovations."

About one minute into the video the presenter explains that the car must start its engine to automatically back out of the garage. It can not even move without starting the engine! How completely primitive. :rolleyes:

GSP

PS. Overall, the new 7 is pretty impressive. The interior looks very luxurious, but also very "busy." I actually prefer a Tesla's minimalistic approach. It seems less cluttered with controls and other features. The Tesla is more like an Apple TV remote, and the BMW is more like the typical LG or Samsung TV remote with 73 buttons on it.

Last edited:
The interior looks very very nice and I'm sure it has extra cup holders, door pockets, center console storage, lighted vanity mirrors, coat hooks, and grab handles all of which the Tesla lacks.

But the extra gimmicks will eventually break. BMW is notorious for electronics gadget failure. And that remote fob with the screen on it? Are you supposed to charge that every day? Do you keep it in your pocket? Couldn't they have had an app for iOS/Android using BT 4.0 for the out of vehicle remote functions? Why would I lift a finger to Minority Report my volume down when my left thumb is already on the left scroll wheel on the steering wheel? A lot of that stuff seems very concept car like and not practical when you actually try to live with it.

The BMW does have a better interior. I grew up with a Merc 420SEL which my dad loved that had a nice interior. But after viewing a few "how it's made" type car shows you quickly realize that much of a fancy interior is wood inserts, leather seats/recliners and panels. I rather prefer spending my money towards tech rather than something that you can put on furniture or a handbag.

The BMW does have a better interior. I grew up with a Merc 420SEL which my dad loved that had a nice interior. But after viewing a few "how it's made" type car shows you quickly realize that much of a fancy interior is wood inserts, leather seats/recliners and panels. I rather prefer spending my money towards tech rather than something that you can put on furniture or a handbag.

I'm with you on that. Still, some basic minimum quality is good to have. Sound deadening is something Tesla could improve on (and they have been). The seats need loads of help, perforated leather, cooled seats, and built in massager is almost expected in a car of this price and class. Exterior lights when getting in and out of the car - those LEDs in the retractable handles aren't quite enough, although its a nice touch.

And for gods sake, why isn't the autopilot camera, and rear view camera, not being used as a dashcam? I hope they enable that via a software update, and let us stick a USB key in for storage. C'mon Elon? Please :)

I think one very important thing to realize is, given deprecation and higher entry cost of the bimmer, the bimmer is a twice if not more, as expensive car to own. For 2x expensive, if you get better interior, I think its a bad deal.

And yes that gestures thing is a gimmick.

There is no question the BMW 7 series is a great car. And yes, technologically it is miles ahead of a Tesla, with the exception of the drivetrain of course. I've never owned a BMW (have never been crazy about their styling) but have owned several other luxury cars, all costing more or less what a Tesla does - and what I have come to realize over the years is that very little of all their advanced technological features and interior luxuriousness really doesn't do much for me. Yes, they are "cool" when they are first appearing on cars but I end up taking full advantage of few of them (and then resent having to pay huge dollars to fix them when they break - or I just leave them broken) and while being surrounded by a plush, wonderfully-crafted interior is nice, it isn't really a big deal for me personally. Maybe I just have simple tastes. About the only thing I wish Tesla did more like the other luxury cars is build a completely solid, rattle-free, extremely quiet body. I am always hearing noises come out of the suspension or body somewhere that I never would in a high-end Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, and I assume BMW. But they will get better in that regard I'm sure, and overall today I wouldn't trade my Tesla for anything.

Great comment about the cameras re dashcam usage. I'm on the fence about putting in a unit and am hoping that one morning I wake up to a software update that enables their cameras to operate as one. Would be much nicer, and not invite thieves to try to steal an expensive one that I installed.

My first car was a BMW, and I have no reason to dislike them as a company. However, this commercial was absurd. I'm not even sure who this advert is aimed at...maybe those considering a Rolls?

Seriously, what's up with the features in the rear?

Also, the design of the front end makes the it seem comically tall...

I'm sure it's a great car...but I just don't see the point of most of the "innovations."

A lot of their features in the cabin are in the rear because they sell a LOT of BMWs in the China market. Anyone that is somewhat successful in China will have a driver, it is the way to do it, shows your status, and cheap. Those that have a driver want to relax in the backseat during their 2 hour+ one way Beijing drive in traffic for like 15 miles ;-)