Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Atlanta Store: 1580 Church St.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was nothing top secret going on.
I chatted up the Electrical contractor and just followed him as he carried some FEDEX deliveries inside.
I need help with a 80 Amp charger install in my garage, and this guy is eminently experienced in that department.
It's exciting to have a new store opening soon so close to home.

The supercharging stations have been dug up and are being rebuilt this morning. No, we don't know exactly why, and yes, we probably will learn in coming days. It's probably a combination of screwups -- chargers spaced too close, installed backwards, et cetera.

Just curious, I may be needing to do a close to range charge (from 0) here.....coming from Santee and heading next to Greenville, so I'll need about 220 miles. What is there to do in the vicinity of this SC? A mall to drop the family off at, perhaps? We'll have to do a massive range charge to get the 245 miles from Santee to here, but there is a nice family restaurant we can relax at for that.

Just curious, I may be needing to do a close to range charge (from 0) here.....coming from Santee and heading next to Greenville, so I'll need about 220 miles. What is there to do in the vicinity of this SC? A mall to drop the family off at, perhaps? We'll have to do a massive range charge to get the 245 miles from Santee to here, but there is a nice family restaurant we can relax at for that.

There is:

Melton's App & Tap

2500 North Decatur Road
Decatur, GA 30033

this is right across highway 78, plus you are at a store which probably has a good lounge in it, to relax a while.

VIP owners lounge.
db25836c8d3a5b00119b527222950188.jpg

If you like Indian food, you have hit the jackpot.
The Store is very close to an Indian shopping center with 5 or 6 choices of solid authentic Indian food.
There is also a good Indian grocery store where you could easily spend 20 minutes walking the aisles.
There is also a Pet Supply store close by that can be entertaining.
It's in an odd part of town that is a touch blue collar and not very built up.

FYI, Tesla's systems today started showing "reduced service" for this location. Local owners are speculating that it's because the Lenox Mall superchargers (21 of them!) are now online and Tesla is now trying to discourage charging at the Decatur service center. It certainly is a very crowded and busy location, although it's easier to get to (than Lenox) for someone who is just passing through metro Atlanta. The Buford location will help in this regard, eventually ...

FYI, Tesla's systems today started showing "reduced service" for this location. Local owners are speculating that it's because the Lenox Mall superchargers (21 of them!) are now online and Tesla is now trying to discourage charging at the Decatur service center. It certainly is a very crowded and busy location, although it's easier to get to (than Lenox) for someone who is just passing through metro Atlanta. The Buford location will help in this regard, eventually ...

Although it does report as "reduced service" I stopped by there 9-4-18 and all 4 were working as they should. The speculations to discourage use may be right.

Last Sunday, local Tesla owner Christian D. spotted this construction under way at the new strip mall across the street from the Tesla Decatur store. The speculation was that it was a new supercharging location to take the place of the (apparently now discouraged) SCs at the Tesla Decatur store.

I visited the site this afternoon, and it does look like it could be EV charging, but it doesn't look like a Tesla SC install. Rather, I think it's going to be a regular EV charging location, perhaps just a bunch of Level 2 stations. I haven't heard of one of Georgia Power's islands going in here, but it could be, in which case it'll have a dual-standard DCFC and two or more Level 2 pedestals (4 J1772 plugs).

I also walked around looking for a construction permit or shipping labels / paperwork, found nothing.

If that turns out to definitely not be a Tesla installation, I'll stop updating here ...

It could also just be a Fotomat :)

Attachments

• 20181019_173259.jpg
    20181019_173259.jpg
    654.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20181019_202553.jpg
    IMG_20181019_202553.jpg
    496 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20181019_202650.jpg
    IMG_20181019_202650.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited: