Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New AutoPilot is horrible after update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
> This is a perfect description of the problem that is causing this to need fixing.

No it's not, people are doing the same with old cars that has no system - they just check their phones or text while driving.
We, the normal drivers, know when it's safe to do so - like wide road with no pedestrians and cars in sight, no intersections etc.

Hello mister moose where did you come from?
You can replace moose with any wild animal, fallen tree, road damage, things fallen off vehicles laying in your lane, fallen rocks, stranded vehicles, someone from a stranded vehicle walking along the road to get help etc etc etc

It doesn't matter for wide the road is, when you travel at high speeds you eat up allot of distance in a very short time and unexpected things happens all the time.

In Europe we have always had short nag time, but never once have I had it disengage or even nag on me for not paying attention or for not having my hands on the steering wheel.

You're in a traffic jam for 30-60 minutes that drives 0-7mph, will you REALLY sit there like this all the time?:

(because you have to have attention all the time like if a kid jumps in, and have hands prepared to make an avoidance maneuver, absolutely all the time, right?)

And won't even glance on the phone or like pick it up to turn on your favorite podcast or music?

I never check my phone while I am driving. Whoever texts me while I am driving will need to wait until I have reached my destination or made a stop somewhere and if it is urgent then they have my number to call me so that I can talk to them using the built in hands free system in the car were I can answer by pushing a button on the steering wheel without any distractions or taking my focus way from the road.

In traffic jams you never know if the guy next you to car or truck suddenly decides to change lane without looking in the mirror or starts drifting into you lane or someone on a motorbike cutting through the traffic between the lanes. You might miss it and end up in an accident in worst case killing the person on the motorbike, if you are looking at your phone to write a text or can't stay away from Facebook for 2 seconds.

For music I use what the car offers me or use voice commands to search for music I want to listen to, works like a charm with Spotify in my model 3.

I drive in traffic jams for 2 hours every day, always paying attention to the road and what is around me and it has allowed me to avoid several accidents because of ****** texting while driving.

My wife's 2020 Honda CR-V has LKA and TACC and it's way better than my Tesla Autopilot and has been for sometime. Why? Because from the get-go Honda (and others) has had no leeway for the kind of behaviors that the OP is describing. Aka, taking your eyes off the road, taking your hands off the wheel and texting. Consumer Reports now ranks Tesla 7th in automated driving for this very reason. Hopefully this recall gets users to finally take note that the tech is still at the point where you have to pay attention ALL of the time.
Consumer Reports used to be reliable. I laugh at half the garbage they recommend now.

I do have to say I find it comical that the new nag gets pissy when you look at the screen for something. If they are going to get that sensitive about it, then they should have actually put it in front of the driver. Kind of defeats their own design...
The Model 3/Y were 100% designed to be operated with autopilot on. You cannot do anything without digging through a touch screen. Using them with a strict autopilot will be VERY annoying.

There are voice commands for many things ...
And yet they are missing for so many things. Like headlights. (Yesterday I sat on my balcony watching cars disappear into the mist almost immediately as they drove by after being visible for at least 5x as long as they drove towards me. Until tail lights also come on with the DRL, the need to turn one's headlights on easily remains.)

(The other missing command that pissed me off last week was no "HO HO HO" off. There isn't even a "Open Toybox" command to at least bring the screen up for me. Instead I got the not helpful "you cannot open the chargeport while driving" response.)

If you ask me, instead chasing unicorns, Elon should focus more on some of the software basics.
From better voice recognition with more supported functions to setting threshold levels for auto headlights turning automatically on in dim / foggy conditions.
Not to mention non working auto-wipers. :)

Reactions: GeoX750
You can look away from the road for about 5 seconds before being told to pay attention. That is more than enough time to change a setting in the menu system. If it's taking you longer than 5 seconds to enable a menu item, then you need to spend some time memorizing where common controls are located so you can get to them faster. Hell, the main Control screen has pretty much everything you need in one screen. Or use the voice system - which can control a majority of settings.

You can look away from the road for about 5 seconds before being told to pay attention. That is more than enough time to change a setting in the menu system. If it's taking you longer than 5 seconds to enable a menu item, then you need to spend some time memorizing where common controls are located so you can get to them faster. Hell, the main Control screen has pretty much everything you need in one screen. Or use the voice system - which can control a majority of settings.
Just want to second @Dewg's comment. Count up to 5: One-one-thousand, two-one-thousand, three-one-thousand, four-one-thousand, five-one-thousand. Five seconds might not sound like much, but, really, that's like three or four breaths. If one were driving a non-Tesla, non-TACC, non-LK car on any road, that'd be more than enough time to get into an accident, and darn difficult to stay in lane for that entire time without looking, peripheral vision or no peripheral vision.

Before owning a Tesla, I had the usual panoply of cars with some kind of radio or other. Even back in the early days, the radios had button presets, with the idea being that one didn't have to take one's eyes off the road longer than it took to locate a button. And, if things were quiet, one could tune the radio to set up a preset, but one wouldn't be doing that in traffic.

On the Teslas, it's pretty blamed apparent that the software engineers went far, far out of their way to make all the software defined buttons big as all get-out, streaming and radio and did their darndest to do the same for the car's controls. And, yeah, one could spend more than five seconds staring at that screen,m studying it - but that would have been just as true, and idiotic, as staring at the radio while one tuned it Back In The Day.

The bit about sitting in the car and going through all the menus and getting half-familiar with them when one first gets the car isn't just a good idea - it's practically the law, and not just for Teslas, I'd claim that for any car.

Now, I'll admit that, being part of the FSD-b contingent from last year, when Tesla was busy knocking off the rough edges on the driver-paying-attention, I had my fair share of warnings (and, once or twice, a strike), but that was when they were having Issues with the torque monitoring. Since the 2nd quarter of 2022, I haven't had any real issue with the driver monitoring and, frankly, it's still improving over time and doesn't appear to be that intrusive. The five seconds part is real - but, like I said up top, that's a llooonnnggg time to Not Be Looking Out There when one is driving a two-ton vehicle.

Which raises the real question: To those who are complaining about the monitoring requirements, just what the heck are they doing in the driver's seat? Surfing the web? Reading War and Peace? Playing video games? C'mon, this isn't rocket science.

So, I don't have a lot of sympathy for the complainers.

There's one possible caveat: When FSD 11.4.9 hit the crowd, there were a couple-three posters who stated that their near-impossible-to-clear driver warning alarms suddenly cleared right up. That implies a funky software bug that got fixed with the update. If that's what we're talking about, well, OK. If not.. back to the no-sympathy situation.

To quote myself:

I have done several ~2 hour drives in my M3, with .44.30.5.1 firmware, on both the NM I10 and rural NM/AZ Hwy 80 and NM Hwy 338. AFAICT basic AP seems unchanged in terms of driveability and nags. I haven't experienced any phantom braking since the update but the mild weather in SE AZ may account for that.

Reactions: E90alex and SO16
I’m on 2023.44.30.6 in a new 2023 MYP. I did some testing yesterday and one thing stood out as interesting.

When traveling on a 4 lane highway, with no traffic around on all sides, I was not nagged to apply pressure to the steering wheel for 3+ minutes (which is when a vehicle finally approached and then it nagged me) - my hands were ready to grip the wheel but I was careful not to touch it.

You can look away from the road for about 5 seconds before being told to pay attention.
I just went to test this. I got to eight-one-thousand. This was on a 50 mph parkway with median, almost no traffic, and with side roads every 100 meters or so. It may have let me go eight seconds because the environment didn't need much attention. I wonder if the time drops to considerably less than eight seconds in a busy environment.

Reactions: Tronguy and Dewg
I’m on 2023.44.30.6 in a new 2023 MYP. I did some testing yesterday and one thing stood out as interesting.

When traveling on a 4 lane highway, with no traffic around on all sides, I was not nagged to apply pressure to the steering wheel for 3+ minutes (which is when a vehicle finally approached and then it nagged me) - my hands were ready to grip the wheel but I was careful not to touch it.
These systems definitely can have some awareness of when driver attention needs to be checked, like when approaching intersections

I thought a while back that FSD was checking with the driver before attempting particularly crazy stuff