Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Equalizer In Version 8.0.2.50.114 - Please Share Settings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely a software bug. Seeing different reset behavior reported by different owners, I'm thinking it might be that it reset to whatever your treble is set at (the far right setting). Mine gets reset to all +8, my treble is the only setting I choose at +8.

Like you say, there are no source of data or evidence that wifi improves odds.

From just personal experience...

I've never had wifi on, and get the updates on par when stuff is rolling out to others posting on this forum.

From Elon: "Make sure your car is connected to wifi for the update. Will update over its cell connection too, but takes much longer."

Maybe this is just a new Easter Egg. We get the excitement of checking every day to see what random settings our cars have picked for us! :)

Yes! I spent quite a few minutes setting up the EQ to my liking yesterday only to find today that Tesla decided +3 across the board was a better idea.

Grrrrr.... Almost as much fun as spending an hour setting up your USB Favorites (a huge pain in the a$$) only to find the next morning that Tesla disagreed with your choices and eliminated them all.

• Funny
Reactions: Andyw2100
I thought I read somewhere that in v8, the equalizer settings where set per source. Could all these "variation" simply be because of being on different sources when you pull up the equalizer? And thus, some people who don't experience it "changing" are simply looking at it in the same source (or have it set the same across all sources)?

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
I thought I read somewhere that in v8, the equalizer settings where set per source. Could all these "variation" simply be because of being on different sources when you pull up the equalizer? And thus, some people who don't experience it "changing" are simply looking at it in the same source (or have it set the same across all sources)?

No, not my experience. It resets even on the same source.

Here are some preliminary thoughts on the new 5 band EQ. I measured this with my iPhone and only spent about 5 minutes on this so it's subject to change once I have more time to analyze:

These readings were taken with my volume set to the first '6' level (Going from 5). Also I have the upgraded sound with the ultra white synthetic seats and the readings were taken with my iPhone mic at ear level in the drivers seat position and the surround setting set to default (Center of the car) in a 6 seat car with the rear two seats folded down. One other thing that might be slightly different in my setup is I actually have the mythical parcel shelf and it was installed for this, so it may help improve the bass response in my setup a bit.

These are where I measured the different EQ band controls:

Low band 1 - Centered around 80Hz
Low band 2 - Centered around 200Hz
Mid Band 3 - Centered around 800Hz
High Band 4 - Centered around 2kHz
High Band 5 - Centered around 8kHz

At volume 6 I preferred this setup on the EQ:
Band 1 = +3.0
Band 2 = +1.0
Band 3 = 0
Band 4 = +3.5
Band 5 = 0

These settings will boost the low end a bit and provide a bit of a boost between 100Hz and 500Hz. Then it flattens out through about 1kHz and then boosts a bit to improve intelligibility for vocals in the 2kHz range. The system default setting (0) at band 5 rolls off the higher end a bit from being flat and then really tails off above 16kHz. The settings above also don't dramatically emphasize any particular frequency band, they are more of a rolling gradual boost for certain areas. I'll live with these for a bit and then play around with them again.

Again, these are really quick and dirty readings that I took, so play around with them to suit your own taste. To my ears, this latest audio upgrade really improved the clarity and overall frequency response of the system and improved the channel separation. The bass response is dramatically improved from what it was before. Basically the low band 1 control is the subwoofer control now. The measurements I made are objective, but in the end, what is a pleasing sound is very subjective. The benchmark I'm using when I say there are improvements in the system are overall clarity, smoothness of response and sound stage. Depending on the kind of system you are used to listening to, your perceptions may vary.

I don't like playing my music very loud, so for those who do, these settings will probably not work that well for you. But for those who like to listen to the sound system and a volume that still allows conversation, the above gives you a nice frequency curve to use as a baseline to work from.

Last edited:
Here are some preliminary thoughts on the new 5 band EQ. I measured this with my iPhone and only spent about 5 minutes on this so it's subject to change once I have more time to analyze:

These readings were taken with my volume set to the first '6' level (Going from 5). Also I have the upgraded sound with the ultra white synthetic seats and the readings were taken with my iPhone mic at ear level in the drivers seat position and the surround setting set to default (Center of the car) in a 6 seat car with the rear two seats folded down. One other thing that might be slightly different in my setup is I actually have the mythical parcel shelf and it was installed for this, so it may help improve the bass response in my setup a bit.

Band 1 = +3.0
Band 2 = +1.0
Band 3 = 0
Band 4 = +3.5
Band 5 = 0

These settings will boost the low end a bit and provide a bit of a boost between 100Hz and 500Hz. Then it flattens out through about 1kHz and then boosts a bit to improve intelligibility for vocals in the 2kHz range. The system default setting (0) at band 5 rolls off the higher end a bit from being flat and then really tails off above 16kHz. The settings above also don't dramatically emphasize any particular frequency band, they are more of a rolling gradual boost for certain areas. I'll live with these for a bit and then play around with them again.

Again, these are really quick and dirty readings that I took, so play around with them to suite your own taste. To my ears, this latest audio upgrade really improved the clarity and overall frequency response of the system and improved the channel separation. The bass response is dramatically improved from what it was before. Basically the low band 1 control is the subwoofer control now. The measurements I made are objective, but in the end, what is a pleasing sound is very subjective. The benchmark I'm using when I say there are improvements in the system are overall clarity, smoothness of response and sound stage. Depending on the kind of system you are used to listening to, your perceptions may vary.

I don't like playing my music very loud, so for those who do, these settings will probably not work that well for you. But for those who like to listen to the sound system and a volume that still allows conversation, the above gives you a nice frequency curve to use as a baseline to work from.

Thank you for actually answering the OP's question!

Dolby on or off?

These are where I measured the different EQ band controls:

Band 1 = +3.0
Band 2 = +1.0
Band 3 = 0
Band 4 = +3.5
Band 5 = 0

Again, these are really quick and dirty readings that I took, so play around with them to suit your own taste. To my ears, this latest audio upgrade really improved the clarity and overall frequency response of the system and improved the channel separation. The bass response is dramatically improved from what it was before. Basically the low band 1 control is the subwoofer control now. The measurements I made are objective, but in the end, what is a pleasing sound is very subjective. The benchmark I'm using when I say there are improvements in the system are overall clarity, smoothness of response and sound stage. Depending on the kind of system you are used to listening to, your perceptions may vary.