Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Forum Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I am on desktop. I'm finding that "quoting" a reply is a multi-step process. I hit "Quote" on the post and I get a pop-up that I've added a "multii-quote". Then I have to go to the reply box and "Insert Quotes...". Am I just doing it wrong to get a quote automatically like on the old software, or is that no longer supported?

Today I am on desktop. I'm finding that "quoting" a reply is a multi-step process. I hit "Quote" on the post and I get a pop-up that I've added a "multii-quote". Then I have to go to the reply box and "Insert Quotes...". Am I just doing it wrong to get a quote automatically like on the old software, or is that no longer supported?

By default the reply input box is there already at the bottom of the page. When I wanted to quote you now i clicked on "<- Reply" below your post and the above quote was inserted in to my input box. Had i clicked on "+quote" I would have gotten the multi-quote function.

Sometimes people get so caught up by whether they 'could' that they lost track of whether they should.

There are people in the world that use devices other than cellphones to browse the web - this site seems to not care about them anymore.

That's a feeling I get as well. Perhaps the new design improves readability on mobile devices. I wouldn't know as I don't browse the web on mobile devices. But on "old school" devices the new design leaves a lot to be desired. Plus now that I have tried out a few pages, I also don't understand why the usability has to be worse? On the old version you could hit the reply button to a message, whether you were logged in or not. If you were not, you were prompted to log in. Now you have to log in first, just in case you might want to post sometime during the session. So one unecessary click more.
Same with the old "reply with quote". Can't do that as easily any more. Now you have to specify that you want to quote something, and then in a second action hit reply. Why does that have to be two steps now?
And so on and so on.

Next question. My "alerts" count is going up for every reply in any of my "watched threads". But even if I go to those threads and get caught up, the count doesn't go down. The count only resets if I open the alerts menu, even if I don't click on any of the alerts. Any way for that to go down automatically, or should I just turn off alerting to updates since I, like I've read about others, just go to "Watch Threads" all the time as my "start page" for this site?

Can't do that as easily any more. Now you have to specify that you want to quote something, and then in a second action hit reply.

I think the new forum does it better than the old forum: As Johan said, you can just click "reply" to get a full quote.

But you can also select a part of a post, like I did with that part of your post I quoted above, and then click "Reply" in that little box that opens after selecting the text. It will create a quote containing just that part you selected. Very handy feature!

I also think the design is not too bad on the desktop. Sure, maybe the front page is a little cluttered, but the thread view is fine. The "New Posts" / "Recent Posts" view works great. And quite important to me, it all works on mobile. I've had lots of problems with the old design on my mobile, clicking ads by accident all the time, having to zoom or read very small text... Now it just works.

If the admins want some help I can assist with tweaks. White space can be tightened up a bit to satisfy some complaints. Apple touch icons need to be generated and implemented in the CSS so that saved bookmarks on mobile devices get the TMC logo and not the default XenForo logo. Lots of other tweaks as I find them.

One more thing:

The site admins should have a change log that everyone can see so they know what's being improved.

It's very hard to know what has changed when the noise signal is very high. People don't like change even if it is for the better so it's important they have a list of what is being improved so they know their input is being heard.

At this stage i don't think the site owners care. They have done it for a good reason to strengthen the back end, but the front end usability is completely lost. This lighter contrast fonts and more specifically the absence of mobile app support comes as a painful change to me.

I am an avid reader of this site, but not a great contributor. So my absence will not be felt.

Surfing this site, consuming all of my free time, was only made possible by this amazing simple to use mobile app interface. Flight is delayed by an hour, no issues Tapatalk and this site can keep me busy. We will be taxiing for another 30 minutes, it doesn't matter. Flying across the world to Asia, who cares if they forgot to give me my meals, as long as internet is available (Emirates gives internet all the way across for just $1 for the whole trip). Need to take the dog for an extended walk - sure thing.

I was in the app all my free time. This changed the way how I structured my free time - in the house, on the road, on the air. May be this is a change that is needed to look and absorb what is happening around me. Learning and consuming all things about Tesla can't go on forever.

My initial reaction is total shock, as in "What happened here? Am I in the wrong place?"

It'll take awhile to figure out what to do and whether I like it.
But one immediate negative -- Making the font a faint gray for the signature and some of the headings is very user-unfriendly. It is the sort of "fashion choice" that is popular today but is a bad idea. Anything that makes text less readable is moving in the wrong direction, in my opinion. Otherwise, i'll keep looking.

Sorry for duplicate posts. .there seem to be multiple threads on the same topic.

Doug: If Tapatalk is a security hole, aren't there other apps out there in the AppOsphere that would fit your needs? Would you prefer a subscription model if this involves expenses?