Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Forum Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. We appreciate and welcome constructive criticism on the new design, interface and functionality. We've worked hard on this and know that there is a lot more still to do. What we have now is a work in progress and we are well aware of, and are working on filling, many of the functionality gaps or potential UI improvements that have been mentioned.

If you have any suggestions, please feel free to post here and/or contact us via private message (now called "conversations"). In doing so, please be specific about what you feel could be improved, and detailed in your explanation as to how you think it should be done.

One of the features we have been working on is improving groups functionality. We believe what we have is a substantial improvement over the previous groups module, however there is much still to be done. If you have any questions or suggestions about Groups, please mention @danny and I'll do my best to assist.

We appreciate your patience and input, and look forward to improving the site further.
Please consider changing the template. It's gimmicky (ie., red dots) and difficult to read. Consider just using the standard Xenforo template. For example, IGN Boards . This will probably ease a lot of people's concerns as the most important part of forum design is readability.

Thank you for all your work guys. Mobile functionality much improved.

Hilarious to think that in a few short days, we're going to be the people passing judgment on Tesla's new car and yet we struggle with a changing website.

Mostly good feedback. Image upload is "upload a file" near the bottom of the post box. Old PMs were always a bit of a mess.. In a few weeks you'll be happier with the conversation system. vB has been around for years and XF isn't yet at feature parity. But we'll get better over time.

Didn't realize the upload button would put an image inline.

Unfortunately it looks like xenforo was designed with the 20 posts per page hard coded limit at the core. That seems like a major design flaw to me. This has been configurable on other software, like vBulletin, for ages. While it may seem inconsequential, I find forums with low posts per page completely unusable. :( Especially when there is a very active thread. It's much easier/faster to CTRL+F a keyword on a 100 post page than it is to click through five pages or use the forum's search feature to do the same.

The outline to these post boxes also is nearly invisible on my screen. :(

Ah well... on the bright side I guess I'll have more time for my projects now.

We appreciate and welcome constructive criticism on the new design, interface and functionality. We've worked hard on this and know that there is a lot more still to do.

Sometimes people get so caught up by whether they 'could' that they lost track of whether they should.

There are people in the world that use devices other than cellphones to browse the web - this site seems to not care about them anymore.

I'd prefer to have adjustable number of posts per page too. It's may be do able with a plug in, but risky.
However, take a moment to notice the post pagination/progress bar thingie near the top right of the page. You can use that to skip quickly from post to post and to the posts on the previous or next page. Navigating with that it doesn't really matter how many posts are on a page.

I'd prefer to have adjustable number of posts per page too. It's may be do able with a plug in, but risky.
However, take a moment to notice the post pagination/progress bar thingie near the top right of the page. You can use that to skip quickly from post to post and to the posts on the previous or next page. Navigating with that it doesn't really matter how many posts are on a page.

Yeah, saw that. It's helpful, but doesn't fully address the issue. *shrugs*

Also noticed that I went to tinker with my signature and all of my links disappeared. Links disabled in signatures now too? I had a fun easter egg in my signature with a link to a video of an easter egg and now it's gone :(

Edit: Holy tiny edit window....

Looks like my links to threads here in my signature disappeared and all too. *sigh*

Oh well. Guess I'll check back in a couple of weeks or something and see how things are progressing here.

Good luck! Have fun!

:cool:

I am going to guess a lot of the motivation was back-end stuff that we cannot see, so bear that in mind. I kinda like the new look, its certainly lighter and cleaner. The biggest shortcoming is the information density--too much white space....that and I still cannot figure out how to go to "last unread" :)

Overall, I like the new site. Hated it for the first hour, but it is growing on me. It is much cleaner than the old layout. I would suggest to try to increase the contrast.

I do miss the reputation system. There are plugins for this, so hopefully Doug can bring it back when he has time.

Wow, I'm amazed by all the smart people here exhibiting such severe signs of metathesiophobia. You'd think Tesla enthusiasts, who are in general often early adopters, wouldn't be so hostile.

Like I posted up tgread, there is a reputation system for XenForo that I hope the admins will consider: Advanced Reputation System

If anyone has experience with it please chime in.

Concerning the visual appearance you all understand this is fully configurable right? There are many themes and skins. What I'd love to see is the user being able to modify the default color scheme and look (like in vBulletin). Is this possible?

At the end of the day what's important are the users and the content. All the old content has been perfectly migrated to the new system - great work!

There are way too many large photos of people staring at me, the avatars are way too big...and is it necessary to have whomever started the threads avatar there. It makes it busy. Sorry folks as a daily reader for three years or so this new look just doesn't feel right.

Thanks. The expanded view helps although it's still a bit short. I wish it was the default. Otherwise many people won't know about it. I'm not a big of the current template. I hope in the future it will be possible to select between different skins. Btw, for some reason the help page here doesn't list GS (Google sheets). In general I think this is a good move but maybe the template wasn't the best choice.