Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Forum Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure Admin know this, but for anyone else like me that had/has external website, social media, or bookmarks to forums, threads or posts on TMC, you need to manually correct them to avoid broken links, e.g.
Code:
Previous: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/56163-90D-Range-slowly
-declining/page33?p=1289330&viewfull=1#post1289330
Current: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1289330/
External search engines will catch-up on their own over time, but without automated redirects to avoid broken links, proactively correcting your own external references is necessary. It appears post numbers have been retained across the site migration -- at least for the links I was using -- so that may speed up your work ahead.

While appreciating the efforts for the new format, my initial reaction still stands after a few days of use. I still see no appreciable advantage of the new forum. For me, nothing is better so far. What am I missing? Why all the effort to change something that was working well?

Is there a list of user advantages somewhere that may offset my perceived reduced user experience? If my vote mattered, I would say go back to the original until the improvements are clearly obvious.

Minor nit, the dates on recent posts don't show an actual date, it will show something like "Friday". Since I don't necessarily remember what date Friday was I have to bring up a calendar to see the date. I can handle "Today", and probably "Yesterday", but it would be nice if anything older than that displayed the date.
+1

For me, this is somewhere between minor and major. My mind seems to have to shift gears to handle the day-of-week dating (and if I wanted to shift gears I wouldn't drive a Model S). I note that Apple's Finder uses Today/Yesterday/Date. I also think that day-of-week is the kind of thing implemented "because we can" rather than because it helps users.

Is there any way to make the text larger? This theme doesn't support my minimum font size settings and seems unnecessarily small.

image.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any way to make the text larger? This theme doesn't support my minimum font size settings and seems unnecessarily small.

You can use style overrides to accomplish this - see the accompanying thread in this section with some examples. I've set my font to Verdana and my text size to 1.1em (110%) and it's much easier to read (less condensed plus larger text).

Admin: Missing "Mark Forums Read" button generally available on forum thread listings (9.04.37 png), when you select a Vehicle like Model S (9.04.00 png). Have to go back and access a different way to mark threads as read that are not in the subforums.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 9.04.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 9.04.00 AM.png
    602.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 9.04.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 9.04.37 AM.png
    369.5 KB · Views: 43
Update: The Forum Index page now has a more traditional list view (instead of the grid view).

Forum index is definitely an improvement over yesterday.

Content density and contrast are still awful though. Here are some actual camera snapshots of how the site looks on my screen before and after (thanks archive.org):

2016-03-16 12.14.24-crop.jpg
2016-03-16 12.13.20-crop.jpg

Such a huuuuuuuuuuuge waste of screen real estate. Notice that the old layout shows be basically every Tesla related forum at a glance. The new layout, not so much.

There's zero contract between headings and between items, which makes it harder to scan.

Just overall it's a much less usable and less functional interface for finding content that you're not already participating in. :(

Forum index is definitely an improvement over yesterday.

Content density and contrast are still awful though. Here are some actual camera snapshots of how the site looks on my screen before and after (thanks archive.org):

Such a huuuuuuuuuuuge waste of screen real estate. Notice that the old layout shows be basically every Tesla related forum at a glance. The new layout, not so much.

There's zero contract between headings and between items, which makes it harder to scan.

Just overall it's a much less usable and less functional interface for finding content that you're not already participating in. :(

And to take this a bit further, it looks like your screens are at higher than 1920x1080 resolution because on the new site you see quite a bit more than I do. Either that or your font size is lower (but the new forum format is unreadable when font size is lower than Chrome's 100% on a 24" 1920x1080 screen). I only see up to the title of the "Tesla Motors" sub-forum, whereas before I would see all the way to the end of the Model 3 sub-forum. And the sub-sub-forum titles were definitely a lot clearer and easier to find.

Is it too late to go back? This reminds me of the redesign Digg did that caused its decline in user experience and ultimately the entire site.

One of the things that I liked about the old style (this goes for all forums) is the amount of information I have in one screen. I am able to quickly select the categories or sub forums I want without having to scroll very far. The over all layout of this new design really does not work well for me.

Wow... tough crowd.

Sentences still flow from left to right... check
All posts survived transition... check
Future tweaks and improvements possible... check

Still better than the Tesla Motors forum... big check!

I seriously wonder how we can be so critical given the price we pay (or don't pay) for this wealth of information. Running the site and keeping it civil is a thankless job. I for one appreciate the efforts made.

The aesthetics of the site (still a work in progress) are the least of my first world problems...

Wow... tough crowd.

Sentences still flow from left to right... check
All posts survived transition... check
Future tweaks and improvements possible... check

Still better than the Tesla Motors forum... big check!

I seriously wonder how we can be so critical given the price we pay (or don't pay) for this wealth of information.

Well if you set the bar really low....
I'm a member of other free forums that haven't done this "upgrade" and they work perfectly.

Well if you set the bar really low....
I'm a member of other free forums that haven't done this "upgrade" and they work perfectly.
Perspective on where the bar sits completely depends on whether you're the one trying to lift the bar up or knock it off the pegs.

I've looked after a couple of forums all by my lonesome and can tell you it's impossible to please everyone, all the time. Even when they're getting the service for free. It's also very painful to rebuild a forum that's been hacked... upgrades for security can't be ignored.

Those running this forum do a really good job IMHO. They also seem to be tireless perfectionists. It'll get better, I have no doubt about that. Like waiting for new models and new features, patience is the name of the game.