Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Forum Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a request...

Could the New Posts link in the top menu bar be moved so it's the first item in the list? That it the most common selection I make, and it's the 2nd to last item -- so is hard to hit. The first one is currently "Mark Forums Read", which I never use -- and since its first, I almost tap it every time.

Reactions: Cyclone
I have a request...

Could the New Posts link in the top menu bar be moved so it's the first item in the list? That it the most common selection I make, and it's the 2nd to last item -- so is hard to hit. The first one is currently "Mark Forums Read", which I never use -- and since its first, I almost tap it every time.

Well in the very top, permanent, menu bar it's the 3rd selection, at least on my screen, right after Forums and Model 3. I'd still like to see Watched Threads in that permanent menu bar.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
5996ab02f69dfaa4ed831a7f76865fab.jpg

Reactions: bollar
Or, we could just adjust our minds and not put much emphasis on "dislikes" when we get them. I've chosen to find them humorous, and generally a sign of weakness on the part of the "disliker".

I agree. but not everyone will react this way. This is the same reason that people lost the ability to give negative rep under the old system.

I think just a stated guideline on when use of the dislike button is appropriate would help - and then the moderators have something specific to point towards when someone is abusing.

Last edited:
I'd suggest that there be simple simple forum guidelines on use of the buttons - with a reminder that abuse could lead to temporary sanctions or whatever.
Or the removal of the ability to use feedback - positive or negative.

I decided as soon as this new system was released that I am not going to use the dislike button for exactly the reasons that were mentioned in this thread. If you have a dissenting opinion, it's best for everyone if you're able to express it. I find that putting my opposition into words really helps me organize the way I feel. In fact, I've often written a response and in doing so, realized I was wrong - so I deleted it. Clicking a dislike wouldn't give me that opportunity, and it doesn't give the other participant any idea what specifically I don't like about their post.

Not that I haven't been strongly tested on this policy of mine!

Admin: Very much appreciating the new condensed option. TU.

Do please consider just a tad more space on either side of the new red dot on thread post listings. Love the red dot being back, and it works fine with my desktop and mouse, but is problematic hitting the right place consistently with my finger on both my iPad and when I just tried it on my even smaller iPhone. I appreciate the balancing act trying to reduce white space with functionality, but give it a try and I think you'll see the physical challenge a few pixels may improve on either side with mobile devices.

Reactions: darthy001 and danny
problematic hitting the right place consistently with my finger on both my iPad and when I just tried it on my even smaller iPhone

Can you expand on what you're trying to achieve by hitting the red dot? Clicking the title of the thread (link) takes me to the latest unread post. I never have the need to hit the red dot, whether on a phone, tablet, or computer browser. I think the "red dot to latest read" behavior only occurs if you have some unread messages in the middle of a thread.

I mentioned this upthread right after the upgrade, but I think when I marked the whole forum as read, it fixed this oddity. I wonder if the admins would be able to work around it so that people don't have to aim at dots.

Can you expand on what you're trying to achieve by hitting the red dot? Clicking the title of the thread (link) takes me to the latest unread post. I never have the need to hit the red dot, whether on a phone, tablet, or computer browser. I think the "red dot to latest read" behavior only occurs if you have some unread messages in the middle of a thread.

I mentioned this upthread right after the upgrade, but I think when I marked the whole forum as read, it fixed this oddity. I wonder if the admins would be able to work around it so that people don't have to aim at dots.
The red dot takes me to the first post after the last one read in a particular thread -- just like that blue dot (is that what it was -- so long ago?), or other icons do on other forum thread listings I frequent. I also marked all threads read after the TMC redesign was implemented so I could just move on with the new system and not grouse about the conversion.

My process is to typically come to TMC looking at watched/threads (in the current vernacular)... From there I see what subscribed threads have new posts, and I use the red dots to get me to the first new post in each thread listed to keep up with activity. I then upon occasion click "Show all watched threads" to scan the various forums I'm interested in for threads I may not be subscribed to but I want to check in on. Out of habit, I touch the name of the thread for those that are new or unfamiliar so I go to post #1 to see if I want to join in the dialog, or I touch the now red dot to go to a post later in that thread where I may have left off. I don't know for a fact that last point actually is the way TMC operates now, but I do it out of habit and will continue doing so, as that's the way things operate on other forums I frequent and another I help moderate.

FWIW, on all other forums I frequent, pressing the thread title takes me to post #1 as I would expect. I'm not aware how I can have some posts in the middle of a thread be unread that the forum could reasonably keep track of without mandating a click on each and every post that no forum IMHO would impose.

Last edited:
The red dot takes me to the first post after the last one read in a particular thread -- just like that blue dot (is that what it was -- so long ago?), or other icons do on other forum thread listings I frequent.
This is interesting. My workflow is pretty much the same as yours. That is, I use "watched threads" first, then view "new threads" if I'm still browsing. My point was that clicking the red dot has the exact same outcome as clicking the title of the thread. Either one takes me to the latest unread post in a thread. If I haven't viewed the thread before, it takes me to the first post. If I have, it's the first post since I last read it.

I'll say again to be clear - for me, using Safari 9.1 on OS X, and iOS 9.0, clicking the red dot has no discernibly different outcome from clicking the linked title of the thread.

So I think something is up..

FWIW, on all other forums I frequent, pressing the thread title takes me to post #1 as I would expect. I'm not aware how I can have some posts in the middle of a thread be unread that the forum could reasonably keep track of without mandating a click on each and every post that no forum IMHO would impose.

Right.

I think what ohmman is really saying, and the way the site now behaves, is that pressing the red dot or just clicking on the thread accomplish the same thing--both take you to your first unread post in that thread.

The red dot is just an indication that you have unread posts in that thread. But there is no need to click on the dot. Clicking on the thread title accomplishes exactly the same thing.

The only "lost functionality" to this set up, which is trivial, and I don't really see it as a downside in any way, is that now clicking on the thread title will not take you to the first post in the thread (post #1) if you have read posts in the thread before. But it is simple enough to get there if that is your goal, and far more frequently your goal will be to go to your first unread post, so I think the admins have this right.

Edit: Was posting at the same time as ohmman was making the post immediately above this one.

Last edited:
Haha, this red dot thing has irritated me a bit lately until I yesterday figured out the "link-avatar" did the same function.

Now finding out that clicking the link does the same is very good news:) that is an awesome improvement for me!

Now I just need the watched threads-links to be a part of the topline menu and I am good to go. I have no need for groups or members links there to be honest. Watched threads though would be very useful!

So here's a good example of what I consider misuse of the dislike option (purposely not linking to the post so as to not obviously call anyone out):
View attachment 170137

Since I assume we'd like to have discussions on this forum with differing POV, people handing out dislikes because of disagreeing seems to negate that goal. The post wasn't rude, just a different opinion - and it gains a dislike from someone. In some instances, the person receiving a dislike finds posts from the person who handed it out... and returns the *favor*. Not good.

I'd suggest that there be simple simple forum guidelines on use of the buttons - with a reminder that abuse could lead to temporary sanctions or whatever.

All this talk of 'dislike abuse' and I expected 1000 dislikes harassing a single user. The example you provide is just a single dislike on a post that had 5-likes. That is hardly misuse.

So, I have therefore disliked your post about disliking posts because it was a poor example of post disliking. :)

I actually hope the 'dislike' will keep people from making unnecessary posts and defuse potential arguments. Sometimes clicking dislike is enough. Think of the like/dislike option as an instant poll.

People are also talking like there is some consequence of getting dislikes. I don't believe this is like 'up voting' where a post gets visibility and an unpopular opinion is buried into obscurity. Posts are chronological and anyone getting upset over a single 'dislike' has issues... making arguing with them even less productive.