Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New from Tesla 100D (non-"P")

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking delivery of my P100D today. I love the performance of the P100D but the $40k premium continues to sting. I would have ordered the 100D if available at the time. Well, I get free supercharging! Does someone want to do the math on how many years it will take to recoup $40k at 15k miles a year with free supercharging? No? I thought someone might be bored at work.

Taking delivery of my P100D today. I love the performance of the P100D but the $40k premium continues to sting. I would have ordered the 100D if available at the time. Well, I get free supercharging! Does someone want to do the math on how many years it will take to recoup $40k at 15k miles a year with free supercharging? No? I thought someone might be bored at work.
Of course, it depends on how many kW you would use on long distance trips (unless you plan on using it for local travel). For me it would probably take 100 years.

My original order was 12/29. it cost me $4,300 more. 3k for the upgrade, $500 for the change order and $800 because they increased the charge on the premium package by that amount. I lose the ventilated seats and free supercharging. I travel a lot but figured the cost still very reasonable and the extra range and charging time save was worth it. I calculated the time involved and on a 2500 mile trip the charging time for my 70D was about 13 hrs vs 7 hrs for the 100D. That to me was a big factor.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
My original order was 12/29. it cost me $4,300 more. 3k for the upgrade, $500 for the change order and $800 because they increased the charge on the premium package by that amount. I lose the ventilated seats and free supercharging. I travel a lot but figured the cost still very reasonable and the extra range and charging time save was worth it. I calculated the time involved and on a 2500 mile trip the charging time for my 70D was about 13 hrs vs 7 hrs for the 100D. That to me was a big factor.

Really? I've been trying to do this with a 90D I ordered on 12/13. I have confirmed that the car will not go into active production until Monday, but the Tesla people I have talked to are refusing to let me upgrade without forfeiting the $2500 deposit and placing a new order.

Really? I've been trying to do this with a 90D I ordered on 12/13. I have confirmed that the car will not go into active production until Monday, but the Tesla people I have talked to are refusing to let me upgrade without forfeiting the $2500 deposit and placing a new order.
It sounds like your order was already far enough into the process (sourcing parts) that you would now have to cancel that order and make a new order. @Villa-Lobos' order wasn't as far along as yours so it didn't require a cancellation.

About 3 or 4 full throttle accelerations and you will forget all about the $40k...

Let's see. In California Tesla charges 10 cents per kWh. Assume the car consumes 333 Wh/mi. So you would save 3 cents per mile if supercharging were free. That is $450 per year for your 15k miles per year. That's 89 years.

That is even worse than the 75 year payback I calculated for buying my S P85D instead of a Corolla due to gas savings. These calculations are always good for a laugh.

I agree with a previous post, the fun of launching is sufficient payback. It is priceless.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff4155
One of the greatest values of free supercharging is when you get to tell your friends that you have free supercharging for life.

It is one of the many unique perks that come from driving a Tesla.

Also that it pretty much drives itself, parks itself, opens its own doors, as well as your garage door.

Also that it does not pollute where you live and drive, does not burn gas nor diesel, that it updates itself, has sensors that watch the car in front of the car in front of you, you never again need to go to a smelly gas station for local refueling, that all the lights, including head and tail are LED, and other cool stuff like that.

For shallow people (like me) this has some value.

Simple.

$40000 buys you 200000KWh assuming 0.20 per kwh in CA.

Assuming the following:
1) you only supercharge and never charge at home
2) 15K miles annually
3) average energy consumption is 310Wh/miles. This is a bit optimistic but I think this is what Tesla use to calculate their rated miles for a p100d.
4) 400KWh is free annually

You will have to pay for the 13709 miles out of each year for supercharging.

You will have used 4250kwh per year to drive those miles.

Factor in vampire drain and inefficiency in the charging lets say you use 4750kwh per year you have to pay.

200000kwh / 4750kwh = 42.1 years

So it will take you roughly 42 years to break even. But keep in mind inflation and such. I'm sure supercharging will cost more in the future and such.

Also keep in mind you wouldve driven
631,500 miles in the 42 year time frame. Your battery will be pretty much dead way before then or the charging inefficiency is crazy high it is not worth it to keep the same battery.

Point is you will never make your money back.

Just as most will note buying a tesla is never the lowest cost option if all you do is 15k miles a year. The lowest cost is to drive a used prius for the same miles and you will still come out ahead even if you never pay a penny for the electricity or maintenance to drive the tesla.

Point is enjoy the car and know it was worth your hard earned money to drive such a great machine. That is priceless IMO.

I'm guessing in 42 years we won't need superchargers sins we will all have a "Flux capacitor" thingamajig in our Tesla's
1b50347ebd01d439cecaedca61f82892.jpg

I actually contacted my DS yesterday when I found out about the availability of S100D and he said my car is too far into production (early March delivery) that if I wanted the S100D, I would have to cancel my order, forfeit the $2,500 deposit, loss free Supercharging, and pay for the options price increase. I said thank you but no thanks...I'll keep my 90D.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
An early March delivery is too far along? That doesn't sound right. I was told by my DS that the $500 upgrade cost was because they had already sourced parts for my car when it was confirmed, so how much more "sourced" do they need to be to force the $2500 cancellation? I was originally scheduled for mid to late March. Their website still says late March for new orders. John, what date did you initially order?

An early March delivery is too far along? That doesn't sound right. I was told by my DS that the $500 upgrade cost was because they had already sourced parts for my car when it was confirmed, so how much more "sourced" do they need to be to force the $2500 cancellation? I was originally scheduled for mid to late March. Their website still says late March for new orders. John, what date did you initially order?

I had the exact same experience as John today - and am extremely frustrated.

I ordered my 90D 12/31 just before the ball dropped. Scheduled for end of March Delivery.

I wrote my DS earlier this week (the 25th of Jan) requesting to make the changes, and that I understood there would be a $500 change fee, I would lose supercharging, and that I couldn't get my preferred headliner color due to the new bundles. Now all of a sudden my late March delivery car will be starting build "within 3 weeks" so I would have to forfeit my $2500.

My original sales rep (who was fantastic) says she is trying to escalate to get this overturned but she didn't quite seem optimistic. I may seriously just cancel, eat the $2500 and wait for the 3. This just feels completely shady to magically accelerate my car delivery by WEEKS right when I wanted to change the order.