Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Generation 3 Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Xebec

Mar 20, 2019
PA
Saw there's a new generation 3 wall connector:
Wall Connector

- "Tempered White Glass" faceplate
- 48A max on this generation
- "lightweight" 18' cable
- Built in WiFi 802.11 2.4 GHz

Setup info and video here:
Installing a Wall Connector

Install manual says supports 4-12 AWG wire, and 12-48A Output (adjustable).
Dimensions are 345mm x 155mm x 110mm; Gen 2 was 380 x 160 x 140, so this is definitely smaller.
Weight reduced from 9kg/20lb to 4.5kg/10lb also..
Manual also says GFCI integrated

Nice update. I think the weight reduction might be partially in the cord. Also it looks like the wiring will be easier to install.

The WiFi will allow up to 16 Wall Connectors to share power. Looks like a pretty substantial upgrade for the same price.

Should be some deals on Gen 2 Wall Connectors soon.

Great find! Using the wifi for power sharing seems a little "solution looking for a problem" me - I mean, pulling the RS-485 cable between wall connectors for previous generation wasn't a big deal... especially if you're daisy-chaining power anyway.

That said - the "New features and functionality will be rolled out over time" intrigues me.... if this thing could provide a power consumption graph, or XML, or CSV, or API, or whatever --- that would be phenomenal. I'd sell my current wall connector in a heartbeat for that!

edit: HOLY WOW ... just looked at the install guide. They finally - finally!! - fixed the electrical conductor contacts. No more contortions to get the wires into the connector!

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Sigh... literally just ordered one of the Silver ones with 24' cable yesterday, shipped earlier today. Order invoice shows the old model's part number.

I think there's a 60-day return policy... but do they cover return shipping to CA?

Great find! Using the wifi for power sharing seems a little "solution looking for a problem" me - I mean, pulling the RS-485 cable between wall connectors for previous generation wasn't a big deal... especially if you're daisy-chaining power anyway.

Big difference in how the power is daisy-chained. Individual 60A branch circuits on #6 wire either directly from main panel or from subpanel, sharing the max power available to the panel. So 100A subpanel to the garage, then 2-4 wall chargers on 60A individually-breakered circuits, sharing the available 80A continuous available to the subpanel.

I'd prefer the 24' cable. Not sure why it's shorter on the V3. And not sure why the wall connector needs wifi. Only thing I can think of is it removes the hassle of running the comm wire in its own conduit. Unless Tesla has some other trick up their sleeve... which I assume they do.

Long term, with massive EV adoption, there will likely be significant incentives to have chargers that can be utility controlled to manage load during periods of peak demand. My utility cuts me a $50 check each year to enroll my central AC in demand-response programs. I imagine the incentives (or maybe penalties) with be far more significant given the power draw of a typical level 2 charger.

With significant deployment of intermittent renewables, the need for this will even greater than today. Long term, I suspect Tesla will leverage WiFi connectivity to provide this type of functionality.

Big difference in how the power is daisy-chained. Individual 60A branch circuits on #6 wire either directly from main panel or from subpanel, sharing the max power available to the panel. So 100A subpanel to the garage, then 2-4 wall chargers on 60A individually-breakered circuits, sharing the available 80A continuous available to the subpanel.

I would hope I could still run it the other way, and actually daisy-chain the power feed.

Long story short, I have an outdoor Wall Connector, fed from a 60a breaker. It's got an outdoor disconnect box as well.

What I wanted to do if/when we acquire another EV, was to add a 2nd Wall Connector. Feed the power off that disconnect box, and then connect the RS-485 between them. Current charger is on right side of garage; the other would be on the left.

What I really don't want to do is put in a sub panel, or a second power run just for the 2nd Wall Connector. If I have to, I would... but in my case, it's easier to just daisy chain the power.

Also, the Gen 2's are no longer available on the site

That's kind a bummer too. For example, if I wanted to accomplish the above, I just got put on the used market. I mean, there's /plenty/ of availability out there, but still ...

• Funny
Interesting. Max power is 60A/48A for the Gen3 vs 100A/80A for the Gen2. Guess this means there won’t be future Teslas with higher rates of charge. Figured the 80A output in a Gen2 was for future proofing. :shrug:

Personally, I prefer the Gen2. Lower profile, longer cable, and comes in black. :D

I wonder if they’ll do this in the corded model. Plugable to a 14-50 receptacle.
You can always add a cord.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/smart-choice-6-50-amp-4-prong-range-cord-black/3921073.p?skuId=3921073

Install manual says supports 4-12 AWG wire, and 12-48A Output (adjustable).
Dimensions are 345mm x 155mm x 110mm; Gen 2 was 380 x 160 x 140, so this is definitely smaller

So what about all of us who used 3 AWG wire for our Gen 2 HPWC per the recommendations in the manual? My Gen 2 just died. Am I going to have to run new wire ($500 for materials plus labor) because the 3 AWG wire won’t fit the terminals?

Also the new connector only accepts 3/4 in conduit in its top entry. Of course I have 1 inch conduit running into my Gen 2.

I know that this can probably be fixed with some wire splicing and conduit adapters. I just don’t get how could Tesla be so short sighted about something so simple?

• Informative
Sigh... literally just ordered one of the Silver ones with 24' cable yesterday, shipped earlier today. Order invoice shows the old model's part number.

I think there's a 60-day return policy... but do they cover return shipping to CA?
I'm wondering the same. I have v2 in a box. I need to figure out what the differences are exactly before I consider returning it and getting this. Is there a list somewhere?

I have had an older (silver) version for about about a month now, but haven’t had time to get it installed. The new version sounds better in that an electrician will not be inclined to bill me thousands to make difficult final connections. But, since I have through a wall and 3ft from my main breaker box, I am not too worried. Simple job.

Not sure if its worth the bother to return the old one and buy a new one. Probably not.