Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New headlights retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is one fact here that you don't seem to want to accept. It is not possible to put Matrix lights into a car that didn't originally have them and have them work. Period.
I'm not seeing how you're coming to that conclusion. It's very possible (in fact, almost certain) that the wiring is the same and the gateway configuration is what varies. Just like PWS and late non-PWS cars. Just because Tesla doesn't officially support the upgrade (and possibly never will) doesn't mean there's guaranteed to be an immutable hardware difference, nor does it mean it's impossible to make that software adjustment by other means. Would not be terribly difficult to verify whether or not there's a wiring difference by going through wiring diagrams - someone just needs to buy access and look.

Now if Tesla won't do it, updating that gateway configuration might prove to be difficult. My understanding the public versions of Toolbox don't let you do that. So without Tesla giving us a signed payload to change the configuration, it would likely require root access to edit. My understanding is the means to root MCU2 and newer cars (i.e all model 3/Ys) are kept secret by those "in the know" at this time.

So they pushed an update and as expected it just make the existing old lights work. Did not work for new lights. They told me to bring the car in for diagnostics to the SC. Not sure if I will be charged if it isn't working with I leave with my car.
So they were able to push the update remotely? Meaning if your lights ever needs replacement (w/ the same ones and not retrofit) you can do the swap and have them update to make it work? That’s better than paying them $1200 to change out the lights.

Reactions: WhiteM3P-
PWS is different. We have established that wiring existed in a small number of cars where they didn't install the speaker. Therefore the car is coded for those parts and that there isn't a speaker. Coding just says speaker is present so everything works. Software is already coded for the system minus the speaker. Again, safety issue. You don't seem to think it is but there is a reason they are now legally required. Yes by law, not some gimmick (even though Tesla makes a gimmick out of it). Tesla has not determined that the LED lights pose a safety hazard or they would be replacing them in the US (all 300,000+ MY that are not MYP and almost 3 years of M3). Just because you can make some not at all related arguement to make it fit your narrative doesn't mean that is how Tesla sees it and how Tesla is implementing it.

There is one fact here that you don't seem to want to accept. It is not possible to put Matrix lights into a car that didn't originally have them and have them work. Period. There is no software workaround or wiring fix that will make them work. Every time I offer a suggestion as to why, you go off in some alternate universe and explain something that worked for that so it means it will work for this. Yet every time it doesn't. Sure, Tesla retrofitted some MCU1 and some PWS but those are not the same as the Matrix lights. Please stop comparing them. There are various other reasons why those were done. None of those reasons is applicable here. If the LED lights didn't meet safety code they wouldn't have been certified and wouldn't have made it on the car. Sure Tesla has upgraded them to Matrix to make better use within regulations, but that doesn't mean they owe it to you to retrofit the new lights in an old car. You want Matrix lights? Buy a new car. That is Tesla's philosophy. You don't think that is fair? Elon doesn't care. Tesla doesn't care. You don't like that philosophy? Sell your Tesla and put your money into another better(?) EV that will allow you to swap out parts to your heart's content.

Oh dear, where to start
"PWS...We have established that wiring existed...", yes, the wiring exists just like it does for the matrix headlights. Tesla's wiring diagram reproduced earlier shows the 3 connectors as ground/LIN/live - which 2 or 3 of those connectors can be switched and not create an electrical safety risk?
PWS doesn't function without coding - a coding configuration is required to make the PWS function correctly. There is no legal compulsion to retrofit PWS, if there was then there'd be a recall and it would be free to customers, it's an optional paid function at customer request.
Tesla is not the arbiter on "safety hazards"
I'm glad you've mentioned safety, as even though you have zero experience of matrix headlights, they present a significant enhancement to safety, an argument to be pursued with Tesla in markets where matrix is not illegal.

Others support my position that software configuration is most likely all that prevents the matrix LEDs working.
Tesla never "retrofitted some MCU1s", Tesla replaced the eMMC chip (a failing part of MCU1) at its cost, customers with MCU1 could *pay* to have the MCU2 upgrade, just like customers could pay for the HW2 to HW3- upgrade by purchasing FSD
Martix LED has never been prevented by legislation in Europe, that's a NA thing..

I'm not interested in what Elon thinks, statutory obligations trump his thoughts - I'm the guy that got Tesla sanctioned in Europe for false advertising of model 3 availability, it has been much more accurate on model Y.
We have 2 useful pieces of legislation in Europe/UK - the right to repair and the Block Exemption - that's why we have access to a third option in toolbox, however, Tesla being a poorly run company, it has different names for the option on the landing page v payment page and the email address provided for queries isn't enabled so bounces back.

Oh dear, where to start
"PWS...We have established that wiring existed...", yes, the wiring exists just like it does for the matrix headlights. Tesla's wiring diagram reproduced earlier shows the 3 connectors as ground/LIN/live - which 2 or 3 of those connectors can be switched and not create an electrical safety risk?
PWS doesn't function without coding - a coding configuration is required to make the PWS function correctly. There is no legal compulsion to retrofit PWS, if there was then there'd be a recall and it would be free to customers, it's an optional paid function at customer request.
Tesla is not the arbiter on "safety hazards"
I'm glad you've mentioned safety, as even though you have zero experience of matrix headlights, they present a significant enhancement to safety, an argument to be pursued with Tesla in markets where matrix is not illegal.

Others support my position that software configuration is most likely all that prevents the matrix LEDs working.
Tesla never "retrofitted some MCU1s", Tesla replaced the eMMC chip (a failing part of MCU1) at its cost, customers with MCU1 could *pay* to have the MCU2 upgrade, just like customers could pay for the HW2 to HW3- upgrade by purchasing FSD
Martix LED has never been prevented by legislation in Europe, that's a NA thing..

I'm not interested in what Elon thinks, statutory obligations trump his thoughts - I'm the guy that got Tesla sanctioned in Europe for false advertising of model 3 availability, it has been much more accurate on model Y.
We have 2 useful pieces of legislation in Europe/UK - the right to repair and the Block Exemption - that's why we have access to a third option in toolbox, however, Tesla being a poorly run company, it has different names for the option on the landing page v payment page and the email address provided for queries isn't enabled so bounces back.
Your right to repair laws don’t cover this. Don’t know why you overlook that yet you keep bringing up things I’ve said in the past that you don’t agree with yet could be valid (until there’s proof of what the issue is, neither of us is right or wrong when it comes to theories). You aren’t repairing your non matrix car by putting in matrix lights. You are upgrading and you want Tesla to provide this to you for free through third party applications. Would you pay $5000 for matrix light retrofits? Not likely, you are looking for a way around that. If so, buy a car with them. Simple.

So Tesla employed service techs don’t have access to gateway programming? It was shown that a Tesla tech couldn’t get them to work.

For being such a poorly run company they sure make a great product that you seem to support by sending them lots of money for it. If you don’t like Elon or the company, why do you drive one of their cars? Sounds an awful lot like an ambulance chaser. What can I do to get at this company?

Your right to repair laws don’t cover this. Don’t know why you overlook that yet you keep bringing up things I’ve said in the past that you don’t agree with yet could be valid (until there’s proof of what the issue is, neither of us is right or wrong when it comes to theories). You aren’t repairing your non matrix car by putting in matrix lights. You are upgrading and you want Tesla to provide this to you for free through third party applications. Would you pay $5000 for matrix light retrofits? Not likely, you are looking for a way around that. If so, buy a car with them. Simple.

So Tesla employed service techs don’t have access to gateway programming? It was shown that a Tesla tech couldn’t get them to work.

For being such a poorly run company they sure make a great product that you seem to support by sending them lots of money for it. If you don’t like Elon or the company, why do you drive one of their cars? Sounds an awful lot like an ambulance chaser. What can I do to get at this company?
I asked <<"PWS...We have established that wiring existed...", yes, the wiring exists just like it does for the matrix headlights. Tesla's wiring diagram reproduced earlier shows the 3 connectors as ground/LIN/live - which 2 or 3 of those connectors can be switched and not create an electrical safety risk?>> you haven't provided an answer

My right to repair (and block exem[ption - you seem to have missed that) allows me access to tooling required to repair the car, so for example installing 3rd generation Model S door handles requires a configuration change - Tesla is required to provide the tooling, likewise MCU2 > 3 upgrade (block exemption allows third parties to do the work and retain warranty), HW2 to HW3- upgrades, etc,
Given that, the logic is I can have the matrix lights installed elsewhere and Tesla has to provide the tooling to facilitate the activation.

The Tesla "techs" must have access to gateway configuration tools or are you suggesting that when my 2016 P100D was manufactured the coding was already in place to support the, as yet, undesigned MCU3 and HW3- (with or without DAB radio)?
It is likely that Tesla "techs" either have a routine that runs to perform the gateway change or a tool with instructions to follow.
I've already stated that the "techs" are employed to follow a process to ensure certainty of outcome and not to work things out themselves, new issues will initially be denied and eventually escalated.

Are we sure this isn't the value still? There are only coil spring M3 and may just be using ride height to adjust the auto high beam height when going around curves and such. Idk. Headlamp type only shoes "Base" or "Premium" so thats not it mine is already set to premium.
The ride height sensors are in EU spec cars, not US. Apparently a regulatory requirement in EU. They're suspension position sensors on the LHS front and rear suspension. They measure the ride height upon closing of the doors, then quickly adjust the height of the headlights (see here >>
). This is meant to compensate for loads in the car (e.g. luggage, passengers, trailer, etc) and prevent the headlight dazzling on-coming cars. It doesn't adjust the lights when the car is in motion.

Reactions: android04
Anything is possible, with enough parts replaced and the motivation to do it.

From what I’ve heard from a ranger that has been over for various small fixes they had received lots of enquiries about retrofitting from pre-late 2020 owners.

I always assumed it would not happen because several things changed in the trunk between non-powered and powered lift cars. Even the hinge is different, and the strut mounting position on the lid. Then there’s the actual hole that needs to be made in the body of the car, power and data cables run to somewhere, etc.

Obviously Tesla have got to a point where they feel they can make good money from doing this.

So Tesla China just announced retrofit on older Model 3 trunk power tailgate. In the promo video it shows an old chrome model 3 with new global headlights, seems possible.
91B0DAD4-0EB4-44AC-865F-31605EFFC4EF.jpeg

So what would happen if someone with an early 2021 Model 3 in Europe (maybe one delivered one week before Matrix became standard) swapped in Matrix lights and booked a service appointment complaining that lights don’t work? (Conveniently forgetting to specify those are not the lights that came with the car).
Are there any chances the SC would blindly enable them or a simple VIN check would return the result that the car came with standard lights?
It’s the same situation as asking for new spares after an accident and getting the new headlights. Tesla MUST have a tool to enable the new lights.
Hope springs eternal…