Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S Order Website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Az_Rael

Supporting Member
Jan 26, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Reminds me of buying an Audi with the three package levels now. www.tesla.com/build/models is how you get here. You may have to click stop in your browser to avoid a redirect.

I am betting this is what the 3 order page will look like.

index.php
index.php

Attachments

• Packages 2.JPG
    Packages 2.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 1,960
  • Packages 1.JPG
    Packages 1.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 1,943
Last edited by a moderator:
While I admit, Tesla needed to simplify things, I find this more confusing. Why wouldn't they put Rear Wheel Drive or All Wheel Drive as a main option? If you want to order a 75D now, you have to select Custom, but the average consumer is not going to be able to even look for it. The Custom Order link is buried under "Upgrades" which is the last step in the process.

Same thing with sunroof. These are usually very popular options that people like to select. For the average consumer to see available options, they have to click compare and look at all of the available options and then determine from there what they want.

What is the difference between Available or Custom? Isn't something that is custom, available? Strange wording.

Awful layout. Awful.

At first it looked like these "bundles" provided a discount on the two configurations that I compared. But when checking my math again, they did not..or maybe pricing changed as I was navigating.

So, other than easier ordering and "maybe" a quicker delivery, I couldn't see any benefit in using this approach.

And, in it's current form, it's not easy to navigate. Much less refined than the current site. Maybe it's just an internal prototype that leaked out.

Thanks for finding this. I am sure Tesla will save money on this otherwise they wouldn't have done it.
But. You order online and a computer at Tesla matches your order in logistics so that the correct parts arrive at the correct time at the production line. No manpower involved. Same parts used to build the cars, just fewer combinations. How can it be cheaper? Please somebody smart, explain this.

Good lord, that's horrible!
I fail to see what is "horrible" about it. Tesla is simply providing a way for a quicker delivery time if the buyer chooses a pre-configured "package" while still allowing for choice of paint color and EAP and a few other things.

If you want a full custom configuration you can still do that. But you might have to wait a little longer to take delivery.

Not a big deal to me. Smart business. Do you want quicker delivery or more choices and a slightly slower delivery? Your choice.

I found a similar new configuration page for the Model X. See Different Model X build page

Thanks for finding this. I am sure Tesla will save money on this otherwise they wouldn't have done it.
But. You order online and a computer at Tesla matches your order in logistics so that the correct parts arrive at the correct time at the production line. No manpower involved. Same parts used to build the cars, just fewer combinations. How can it be cheaper? Please somebody smart, explain this.

I'm not smart, and I don't even have my car yet...

but the way I see it, fewer configurations means Tesla can have more control over the velocity of their part orders, and can do either production lines, or production runs with less complexity... (I have absolutely no idea what the Tesla factory is like, but imagine 4 production lines that have the capability to install 75 KWH battery and no SAS, and one "custom orders" line that was configured to assemble the vehicle in any option).

I fail to see what is "horrible" about it. Tesla is simply providing a way for a quicker delivery time if the buyer chooses a pre-configured "package" while still allowing for choice of paint color and EAP and a few other things.

If you want a full custom configuration you can still do that. But you might have to wait a little longer to take delivery.

Not a big deal to me. Smart business. Do you want quicker delivery or more choices and a slightly slower delivery? Your choice.

I found a similar new configuration page for the Model X. See Different Model X build page

Sorry, I'll rephrase.

Good lord, that user interface is horrible!

If I were ordering my car now vs in November 2016 I'd have some real issues refining it to be exactly how I like. Now the interiors are bundled so its tough to get exactly what you want which was a Tesla unique feature before. Why limit the S and X? This seems a lot more useful for the 3.

If I were ordering my car now vs in November 2016 I'd have some real issues refining it to be exactly how I like. Now the interiors are bundled so its tough to get exactly what you want which was a Tesla unique feature before. Why limit the S and X? This seems a lot more useful for the 3.

Maybe this is just a "dry run" test using the MS and MX as practice for the M3 launch. Much less risk sicking this on MS & MX buyers than a large flood of M3 buyers when the ordering gates open for them.

I think everyone here agrees Tesla needs to streamline their ordering process but the layout and wording is extremely confusing.
What does streamline ordering process mean in this case? You order on a computer screen. Custom building takes longer for the consumer than buying a pre composed package, sure. So you save 5 minutes before spending $$$$$.

What does streamline ordering process mean in this case? You order on a computer screen. Custom building takes longer for the consumer than buying a pre composed package, sure. So you save 5 minutes before spending $$$$$.

I meant their production runs, not the actual ordering process. The thought being the more pre-packaged cars that people buy, the quicker the deliveries will be allowing Tesla to handle more volume.

I'm not smart, and I don't even have my car yet...

but the way I see it, fewer configurations means Tesla can have more control over the velocity of their part orders, and can do either production lines, or production runs with less complexity... (I have absolutely no idea what the Tesla factory is like, but imagine 4 production lines that have the capability to install 75 KWH battery and no SAS, and one "custom orders" line that was configured to assemble the vehicle in any option).
I have taken the factory tour. I remember one assembly line where they ran all versions one after another. Each car obviously has an ID so the robots and people knew what parts to put on each car. If a robot puts white seats in a car with black ash trim after it put white seat with carbon fiber trim in the previous car I don't see how it can cost more money compared to only do white seats with carbon for example, since the box with black ash trim already needs to be at the line for the cars with the package that needs black ash. Anyone knows?

What bothers me is that Full Self Driving is (I think) forced on you if you want a P100D, but optional (or "custom") on a 100D. This seems like a way to further jack up the price premium for P cars. After all, if you pay ahead for FSD, it won't be delivered for a long while, particularly since enhanced autopilot hasn't been delivered yet, and for that matter unenhanced autopilot is barely there. I am so very glad I bought a P85DL when the price premium for high performance was much less! If I needed to replace that car I'm not sure what I would do: I don't like to be gouged.

They seem to be copying other manufacturers configurators, moving to a horizontal flow vs vertical. Check out BMW, it's almost identical. And honestly I liked the previous vertical layout so much more. Plus, I feel like this hides a bunch of obvious add-ons from the "standard" package group, specifically AWD, pano roof, wheels upgrade, sub-zero, all things many people would want to add on if they new it existed.

I fear this interface is too clunky for the new customer, and hides profitable options from them. Why would Tesla make it so hard to order these options? Are they really saving so much from streamlining that they are better off concealing $10k worth of options?

I mean seriously those cyclone wheels are almost pure profit...

And on the premium side, you can't even select the light 21 inch wheels, and instead are forced into the dark?

There must be a reason this interface is not yet accessible through their website unless you have the link? it's still half baked, but even if they work the kinks out I won't like it more than the existing.