Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S to make noise so pedestrians hear the car similar to a ICE car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If done properly, inside the car you'd have noise cancelling of what people outside are hearing.

Perhaps I'll go with the sound of a harras of galoping horses approaching.
Or that old fashioned sound of a horse and carriage on pavement. Obviously, true to current speed. And acceleration with a hee-ya and subsequent whinnying of the horses. As long as it would barely be audible inside the car.

• Funny
Reactions: RIZE and Pdub2015
Can't wait for the 2019 neighborhood rush hour, with everyone arriving home and their cars slowing down and making a noise for the complete lack of pedestrians in the driveway!

I mean why only EV/Hybrids - there's enough ICEs have crept up on me on tickover in a parking lot in the past.

And the bicycles going downhill at 20 mph - are they going to be required to hail their presence with anything other than a single "On your left!"

Perhaps I'll go with the sound of a harras of galoping horses approaching.
Or that old fashioned sound of a horse and carriage on pavement. Obviously, true to current speed. And acceleration with a hee-ya and subsequent whinnying of the horses. As long as it would barely be audible inside the car.
Llike this?

I'm sure with Elon's sense of humour he'd be fine with a Holy Grail inspired solution - a couple of solenoid-activated coconut halves behind the front fascia.

btw wasn't this ruling based on some old study, like from around 2010 i.e. pre-Model S (and when there were relatively few electric cars of any sort)?

• Funny
Reactions: patrick42h
I was walking once on the street in a crappy sideroad next to my house when a car came behind me and I had to get out of the way. Didn't think to much of it and the car was quite slow, maybe 20kmh or so.
I only realized after it went past that it was a Model S. Didn't sound any different to a normal car.

IMG_1965.PNG

Can't wait for the 2019 neighborhood rush hour, with everyone arriving home and their cars slowing down and making a noise for the complete lack of pedestrians in the driveway!

I mean why only EV/Hybrids - there's enough ICEs have crept up on me on tickover in a parking lot in the past.

And the bicycles going downhill at 20 mph - are they going to be required to hail their presence with anything other than a single "On your left!"
When I walk in my neighborhood, I don't notice Teslas or Leafs being any more stealthy than many ICE cars passing by at low speeds. Maybe my "senior" hearing isn't up to snuff, but I just hear tire noise on the road surface in either case.

To be fair, they should implement a decibel level threshold test instead. Any car generating less than the specified level of noise at up to 19 MPH will need a supplemental noise generator, regardless of drivetrain.

Reactions: davidc18
How is a hearing impaired person going to hear some dumb spaceship sound!??! Not going to happen. The only way to solve this is to have bright lights and sirens on top of all EVs. Heck, bikes too. Most of them, except the newer road bikes with their loud ticking are pretty quiet. I say lights and sirens for them too. Would be great on those nice country rides which are so very dangerous without loud noises to alert the walkers, other cyclists and wildlife. Think of all the lives we could save!!! And the children!!

Reactions: davidc18 and Naonak