Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S to make noise so pedestrians hear the car similar to a ICE car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in a grocery store and followed an oblivious couple --cart in center of isle, he reading every label on every can on the left, her doing the same on the right - only interrupted by cellphone usage (searching for poky man?). Soon, the cart was parked in the intersection of isle and corridor. I could not help but wonder how it would be like to follow them in car traffic. Parking in a mall lot, following the wonderers down the entire length of an isle. For these folks, I'm not sure a beep [, farting, hooting, screeching, ringing, shouting or whatever?] would have penetrated their world.
Substitute biker, runner, grocery shopper and whatever human interface you can name, and you might just find someone oblivious and in need of protection. Its just not a condition for an individual EV car company to solve.

Is it illegal for pedestrians to use earbuds or smartphones in zombie-fashion while walking? I don't think so, but that should be included in any mandate of a Pedestrian-Noise-Unit.

p.s. just turn on your A.C. when driving through the parking lot:)

While I am all for making travel safer for all, I fall into this mind-set also. Too many people distracted with earbuds, cellphones, Pokeman, etc. While we can mandate all sorts of things to make pedestrian travel safer (my town REQUIRES sidewalks even in the most remote, unused areas, for pedestrians. Yet walkers, joggers, bikers continue to avoid those sidewalks and use the roadway-frequently not facing oncoming traffic) we cannot mandate common sense. I think that is what is lacking (aside from those with hearing impairment) to make all of these regulations achieve the desired results.

I've always wanted a flying car, so my vote would be for the Jetsons' car sound

that reminds me... a few years ago while waiting in an airport departure lounge I saw a short documentary about a sound engineer designing the sound for the Audi R8 e-tron. At the time I found it amusing that they'd go to all this effort to make a sound for an electric car - I think one of the great things driving an electric car is that it's quiet!

Audi developing powertrain sound of the future for R8 e-tron

I am hearing impaired. I find using co pedestrian and bicycle paths the most dangerous activity i engage in not roads. In fact despite being very visually alert to the possiblity of cyclists i do fear these situations. I use the word fear deliberately, i will actively avoid a co pedestrian bicycle path. Its the speed and silence and agility combined that is scary because it really hurts when a pedestrian and bike impact each other.
I do not fear car parks and hybrids or EVs, they are large, i know i am in their domain and they dont move unpredictably with extreme agility like bicycles. I can see them and respond.

Noise making evs is not the highest priority to solve.

Why not some Vivaldi from the front of the car? And if the stereo has something else playing, that. So the driver isn't affected.

On cobblestone road surface, I've noticed that I actually recognize the sharp sound of Model S tires. High pressure tires and heavy car, I suppose.

Reactions: Pdub2015