TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New mystery feature in #DriveFree version of Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Brett, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Brett

Brett Member

2. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

3. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

It's definitely version 6 firmware... Changing the displayed range and calculations again so that discussions of battery degradation can't even get started

4. deonb

deonb Active Member

I hope only the charging screen displays % and the driver console still display miles!

Can't image that changing though.

5. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

6. Brett

Brett Member

Yep! Nice spot @Stoneymonster! This car gets better and better every single day...

7. Liz G

Liz G P03056

My husband will be happy. That was always one of his gripes.

Love how my S just keeps improving (except for that not lowering thing).

8. FredTMC

FredTMC Model S VIN #4925

lowering is coming in v 6.0

9. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

Very nice feature, which I have missed. I'd prefer 10x the resolution though, like "17.3%". And preferably viewable on the dash screen too.

10. patp

patp Member

I saw that also and it's a very welcomed feature.

I always found that the miles were a weird concept especially that they don't adjust to real usage. You leave with 300 miles and arrive at your 200 miles destination with 10 miles left - especially during winter time.

Slowly, the car is getting better for usage in colder climates (ex. suspension setting in upcoming v6.0)

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

This is a good point that you might want to send feedback on to [email protected] soon so they can improve it before the roll out.

More specifically, the meter shown to customers currently has a range of [0,300] (in Ideal) and [0,265] (in Rated) both of which give 2-3x the resolution of [0,100]%. Adding a decimal of information to the new percentage display would improve it from 2-3x to 10x (upgrade!) rather than from 2-3x to 1x (downgrade).

12. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

You're all kidding when you think percentage charge needs to be reported to one decimal place, right?

13. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

I need to see state of charge down to the milli-Watt hour or I just can't plan properly.

14. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

They can always keep the percentage a whole number and make the green bar move in smaller increments. Wouldn't matter too much though. If you are down to 1% you need to start making other plans anyway. I guess they could always add one decimal place being shown in the settings as an option.

15. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I don't know about the percentage indicator. I'd probably have to try it to see, but rated range is pretty close to what I achieve most of the time--so I think I'd find rated miles remaining (current behavior) more useful than a percentage.

16. dsm363

I would think a percentage with an estimated range based on weather, speed, traffic and elevation could be done when you input your destination in the Nav. Otherwise it would just show a percentage. It will take getting used to but will likely create less headaches for Tesla about decreasing range on the pack. (hides it in a way).

17. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Hmm, is a beta tester giving us a hint here? I would absolutely have a problem with them taking away rated range. I don't put my destination into the Nav all the time and I need to quickly determine if I have the range. A bit difficult if you have to back it out of a percentage. Besides, I wrote a web app that displays % SOC on the car browser so this new feature is not that useful to me.

18. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Love it! ;)

How did we ever plan our trips in a gas car with a small fuel gauge that showed only roughly where 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full was... with a fat needle, and a light that comes on at 1/8th???

Love our Cadillac... the range computer tells you how many miles left, but when down to 30 miles, it just says "Low".

19. dsm363

Nope:). Not beta testing it. Just what I think would be nice to have. I do wish they'd being back the projected range in a more useful format.

20. N4HHE

N4HHE Member

Economists demonstrate they have a sense of humor by publishing predictions for unemployment, GDP, inflation, etc to the tenth of one percent.