Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New rear seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several new Model Ses have been delivered with a new style rear seat:

tesla_model_s_new_rear_seat.jpg

21369461_893920307424803_668861185828785543_n.jpg

The middle seat is now raised slightly compared to the outboard seats and the upholstery pattern now matches the front seats.

Thanks @jelloslug for sharing. MUCH appreciated!

What defines an "amateur" seat?

Tesla's seats? ;)

Yeah, I agree with @AmpedRealtor, there is something a tad bit off with the latest round of Tesla seating. I mean, this seat update is better than the old one as a fundamental design (bolstering is nice), but at the same time the workmanship and maybe the proportions too look a little... off. More off than some of Tesla's older implementations, actually.

The new Model X 5/7 seater second row has this issue as well... It is hard to explain, but it seems to me whomever is doing the latest round of Tesla's seating (they say in-house but what does that exactly mean...), isn't perhaps implementing the designs quite as proficiently than some of the older ones have been.

Reactions: AmpedRealtor
Thanks @jelloslug for sharing. MUCH appreciated!

Tesla's seats? ;)

Yeah, I agree with @AmpedRealtor, there is something a tad bit off with the latest round of Tesla seating. I mean, this seat update is better than the old one as a fundamental design (bolstering is nice), but at the same time the workmanship and maybe the proportions too look a little... off. More off than some of Tesla's older implementations, actually.

The new Model X 5/7 seater second row has this issue as well... It is hard to explain, but it seems to me whomever is doing the latest round of Tesla's seating (they say in-house but what does that exactly mean...), isn't perhaps implementing the designs quite as proficiently than some of the older ones have been.

Seeing the new 2nd row bench on the 7-seat MX really turned me off. It's such an obvious afterthought and the workmanship was not up to Tesla standards. Really? My '14 Honda Odyssey has much better...

Seeing the new 2nd row bench on the 7-seat MX really turned me off. It's such an obvious afterthought and the workmanship was not up to Tesla standards. Really? My '14 Honda Odyssey has much better...

Exactly why I opted for the 6-seater with a console. The seats are much more comfortable, especially for long-trips. I know I sacrificed storage space, but I felt the trade-off was worth it, we'd rarely be able to fold the 2nd row as a family.

-Rob

What defines an "amateur" seat?
Stitching appears poorly executed and the overall design is underwhelming. It strikes me as yet another mediocre stab by Tesla at something that almost every other manufacturer is able to get right. It's unfortunate that such a "techie" car still cannot get the basics right after almost 5 years. It's better than what my car shipped with, yes, but it's still disappointing for a car in this price class.

I sure hope this isn't the result of hiring that Volvo guy...

Reactions: babyjocko
Stitching appears poorly executed and the overall design is underwhelming. It strikes me as yet another mediocre stab by Tesla at something that almost every other manufacturer is able to get right. It's unfortunate that such a "techie" car still cannot get the basics right after almost 5 years. It's better than what my car shipped with, yes, but it's still disappointing for a car in this price class.

I sure hope this isn't the result of hiring that Volvo guy...
It sounds more like you are complaining more about personal taste rather than a real deficiency with the car.

Given that this seat HAD to be designed after the Model 3's rear seat-- which has a fold down armrest-- how the HELL did Tesla manage yet another revision without including what nearly every budget car since the 1980s has had?

I mean, seriously-- how hard is it to make a fold down freakin' armrest?? Certainly can't cost more than a couple bucks a car. Oh-- and here's an idea: drill two holes in it for a cupholder!

CR-Cars-Gallery-2017-Tesla-Model-3-back-seat-07-17