TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New Roof Style

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by breser, Mar 25, 2015.

1. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

A recent update to the Android App had the following changelog:

Today while looking for some other images I took apart the APK and while looking through the images I found this image named roof_glass.png and with a March 2nd date:

roof_glass.png

This is distinctly different from the existing images which have Jan 26th dates:

sunroof_closed.png
    sunroof_closed.png

sunroof_open.png
    sunroof_open.png

sunroof_vent.png
    sunroof_vent.png

Note that the closed image has an indention to show the two pieces of glass.

So based on this I believe that Tesla will start offering a glass roof that does not open. This probably gives people that want the taller roof and additional light of the pano roof but don't want the cost and risk of a sunroof an option. I'd imagine it will also be cheaper.

2. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

#2 ChadS, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    Cool! Thanks for pulling out that picture. The roof has been, I think, the toughest decision. The metal roof is cheaper and more reliable (and I'm all about cheap and reliable); but the glass roof gives you more rear headroom - that's the key point I think; of course it also gives you more light in the cabin, another option for fresh air, and having the roof rack anchor points. This could be a really nice choice in the middle, especially if it too has the anchor points.

If I buy another S, that's the option I'm going for. (Assuming the price is somewhere in the middle too). I really like the removable top on my Roadster, but the sunroof opening on the Model S just hasn't been that big of a deal.

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

That would be a nice roof option that I would select. I don't have the pano sunroof because I never open sunroofs. Too noisy and I don't want the UV exposure.

4. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Nice find! Even if this is a middle of the road cost option rather than a no-charge replacement for the black roof top they took away, I would get it. I'm another person who would get the pano not to ever open it, but to lighten up the black headliner I want and add headroom.

5. amzng_ev

amzng_ev Member

I don't think they would make a new roof style with the glass panels the exact size and shape of the opening panoramic room.

6. liuping

liuping Active Member

Why not? I it would keep the roof lining identical, reducing costs.

This would be a great option and I would order it easily over a Pano roof. I never open my other sunroofs, I don't need an openable pano roof that can leak, is noisier, etc, when I never ever open it.

7. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

I'm wondering if they aren't planning to make the glass roof standard and eliminate the metal roof entirely. A lot of their changes lately have been driven by reducing differences. It'd eliminate 3 different parts for the headliner (2 alcantara coverings and the cloth covering). Might have impacts on the paint shop setup too.

8. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

A solid, non opening glass roof would be my ideal choice as well. I like the extra headroom and open feeling the pano roof provides, but almost never open it. The squeaks, rattles and wind noise are a constant nuisance.

9. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I could totally see Tesla making this argument if they make such an announcement. There are sure to be a ton of outcry, but it wil run along the lines of production simplification via fewer variations in parts, and "enhance" the experience of those who opt not to have the moonroof. I'm sure there will be an outcry, but Tesla has shown before they will go minimalist do what they feel is the best design experience within that minimalist mandate.

Personally, I would LOVE to have this as a no-cost option. If it costs $1,500, then I my still jump to the pano. In between, I may just pay for this option.

10. gtimbers

gtimbers Member

I don't see any reason the headroom needs to diminish with the metal roof. I think it is just a visual thing for Tesla. The glass roof gives credibility to the massive center brace and they simply elevate the headliner in front and behind it. With out the glass, the same thing can and should be done, but the center brace will now seem more intrusive. The somewhat weird interior roof line will not affect sales in total, but would eliminate the hit those of us take with the metal roof. I had a Pano on my first Tesla and it creates significant wind noise. I went with a metal roof for my soon to be delivered 85D. I'm not happy about the rear head room loss, but the noise level will be down and the roof will not lift above 85 mph any longer. For those worried about heat and UV, the glass roof is amazing and probably not much hotter than thin metal. Tesla clearly uses special glass treatment with significant heat and sun blocking abilities. Very nice for a sunroof, but I just don't like the added wind noise. For a car with such a low drag coefficient, the Model S makes a ton of wind noise. My 12 year old Lexus SUV is significantly quieter in that regard from 40 mph on up. I'm hoping the 85D is improved over my early 2013 model.

11. ecarfan

Why would there "be an outcry"? I see no negatives to such a standard roof style except maybe in cold winter climates it wasn't quite as warm.

If it was properly tinted and had some thermal insulation I think it would be awesome.

12. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

There would be no outcry from me. But I'm sure someone would find a reason to complain! :wink:

13. mdevp

mdevp Member

Nice find OP. This is right up my alley since I don't open sunroofs but enjoy the light. Hopefully this will block a tad more noise than the pano as well.

14. David100

David100 Member

Noce find indeed - I would go for this new roof too for all reasons mentions above :
    - Nice
    - Open cabin
    - Noise reduction.

Perfect solution for me. Hope it get's confirmed very soon. My S85D enters production in about a month.

15. Seesaw

Seesaw Member

Well with the model X appearing to have a fixed glass roof in front of the Falcon doors, it could be that the Model S will also get a glass roof standard.

16. Kbsilver

Kbsilver Member

This would also offer a less expensive option for those who want Satellite radio, which now requires the pano roof.

17. ecarfan

More reasons:
    - More headroom front and rear than standard roof
    - Allows for XM radio (as mentioned just above)
    - Less costly than openable roof

18. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

This would be the only feature so far that I would pay to have retrofitted if they actually release this option.

19. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

I absolutely love this idea!

20. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The only drawback is that you can't vent the car as well while parked to keep it cooler when it's hot outside.