Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Supercharger locations in 2017, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well it was hot yesterday so I decided to do a little Sunday drive over to Boardman, OR in search of the supercharger. I drove all over town (except I forgot to check the SAGE or industrial exit) and didn't see any indications, not even paint or survey stakes. Since this is a fill-in SC for trailer pullers, it may be months or years away. Anyway, as for potential locations, there are a few with rough ranking and direction from freeway & exit: 1) River Lodge (1.4 mi N at river, decent looking resort for the area, lots of parking, though off the beaten path), 2) Subway (right at SE exit, decent parking & food), 3) Electric Co-Op (NE, decent parking), 4) Between Sinclair & Cafe (NW, there are several large green utility boxes and what seems like an unused lot, or maybe utility easement), 5) City Hall/Police (SW, but farther away, no 24/7 restrooms). The rest: Roadway Inn (SW), Shell/Car Wash (SW), Knights Inn (NW), Chevron (NE). FYI, this had to be the highest per capita concentration of police that I have seen (other than when there's some type of convention). I must have seen four on patrol, one in a speed trap, two followed me into Subway, and there were still several cars parked at city hall. There were a mix of county, city, and state patrol. This was SUNDAY afternoon!

I can see how it's not what everybody is looking for; but I love going to Fred Meyer's for food. They have a WHOLE GROCERY STORE in there; you can get whatever you want. Well, OK, as long as it doesn't need cooking or has already been prepared.

Then just carry it over to the patio furniture section to eat it.

Long hours, restrooms, wifi...and if you forgot anything for your trip, chances are they have it. It's a near-perfect stop! (Well, I do wish the restrooms were accessible 24 hours for those late-night trips...)
Touché.

This is true and actually what we did the first time we stopped there on a weekend trip to Walla Walla. We'll definitely be doing the same next time!

Well it was hot yesterday so I decided to do a little Sunday drive over to Boardman, OR in search of the supercharger. I drove all over town (except I forgot to check the SAGE or industrial exit) and didn't see any indications, not even paint or survey stakes. Since this is a fill-in SC for trailer pullers, it may be months or years away. Anyway, as for potential locations, there are a few with rough ranking and direction from freeway & exit: 1) River Lodge (1.4 mi N at river, decent looking resort for the area, lots of parking, though off the beaten path), 2) Subway (right at SE exit, decent parking & food), 3) Electric Co-Op (NE, decent parking), 4) Between Sinclair & Cafe (NW, there are several large green utility boxes and what seems like an unused lot, or maybe utility easement), 5) City Hall/Police (SW, but farther away, no 24/7 restrooms). The rest: Roadway Inn (SW), Shell/Car Wash (SW), Knights Inn (NW), Chevron (NE).
Thanks for your sleuthing! :). Thought this one was still by eoy?

FYI, this had to be the highest per capita concentration of police that I have seen (other than when there's some type of convention). I must have seen four on patrol, one in a speed trap, two followed me into Subway, and there were still several cars parked at city hall. There were a mix of county, city, and state patrol. This was SUNDAY afternoon!
End of month. Sunny weather. The (allegedly non-existent) monthly quotas must be met :p

D6187D2D-0427-4C82-B150-67D1AF1C6AC4.jpeg
1AECC536-5E76-4A06-8F0C-A5FB4277A0D5.jpeg
Olympia supercharger update. Have been doing some detective work, as someone mentioned, the state capital, public works planning department have not seen any applications to this date. Even contacted the mayor of OLY and her second in charge stated he hasn’t seen anything. I think looking at distances most likely the SC will skew a little north of OLY and second, permits are often in the contractors names making them tough to find. In the PNW they have used ADK electric (for the Vancouver SC being built) and Innerspace electric for the work up near SEA.

I’ve scoured permitting for OLY, Lacey as well as Thurston County to no avail. I did find one for Target in Lacey (right across the street) from Fred Meyer, in the vicinity of lots of food and shops. But the contractor is a lighting/electric company. Nonetheless I think the parking situation on this side of the street is more open and conducive to building a SC. I’ve included a photo of my guesses on potential locations. This is just off Sleater Kinney. Another alternate location is the complex of shops just off Marvin road.

Thoughts? Also if anyone lives in the vicinity could you scout out these parking areas?

I grew up in the area so I'm very familiar. I agree that your Marvin Road location makes the most sense (other side of Marvin Road might be better, but either side is fine). That being said, the map says the supercharger will be in Olympia, not Lacey, and there aren't any known partner businesses in the area.

I scouted the Fred Meyer that you circled on the map a few months ago and didn't see anything. I can try to look again when I'm home for Thanksgiving. That parking lot is a little tight but there should be room to squeeze it in somewhere. The other location near the Target seems dubious, but then again they are building superchargers at Targets in CA now so who knows. If they do build there, we would want it near the Applebee's. The location you have circled is kind of far from everything. In general that exit, is kind of a dying location while the newer area at Hawks Prairie has a lot more going on these days.

• Informative
Reactions: BerTX
I just did a drive through at the Tumwater and Lacey Fred Meyers. Absolutely nothing going on. Olympia is still listed as completed by the end of this year. So, if that's still the case, there's gotta be some work being done somewhere in town. I'll be back there again next week and will scout around on the Westside. It's just a fudge off I-5 on 101 towards the beach, a bit off the 1-5 path, but not so much to be really inconvenient.

Hmm yeah drove around Lacey FM as well as the shops off exit 111, didn’t see anything. Also have been checking the Lacey, Thurston County and Olympia public records and yet to see anything promising.

If those superchargers aren't done by the end of the year, it won't be the first time Tesla missed an announced release date. And it's always possible Tesla did its part to get those online by the end of the year, but local regulators held things up.

New superchargers is one area where Tesla has limited control over the process and a lot is up to local people who might drop the ball, drag their feet, or just plain mess up. They also have to deal with different rules and regulations in everyplace they go. In some cases it's state regulations, which are a fairly known quantity going in, but in other cases they might run into some weird local regulation that hangs something up.

My partner inherited some undeveloped commercial property in Corvalis, OR. It looked like it was going to be quite valuable as it was close to the university and in an area that was getting a lot of homes built and there was a shortage of commercial property. She tried to get the sewer hooked up to develop it and the local land use guy declared it a wetlands. According to a lawyer she talked to down there, this guy basically declares every piece of land a wetlands and you have to go to court to get it changed. There was absolutely no reason it should have been declared a wetlands, but she didn't have the extra money to fight it in court so she sold it for what she could get for it.

Basically it happened because a local official was abusing a state of Oregon law to push his private agenda and nobody fired him for it.

Reactions: Yarder
Can anyone check on Leavenworth, WA? Rumor has it that there is a new operational SC behind Dan's Market, 1329 US-2, Leavenworth, WA. The Tesla map shows nearby Wenatchee, WA as a future site. I'll probably cross-post in other NW threads.

Bingo! Found this: frmViewInspection
3033128E 6/1/2018 6/7/2018 TESLA SUPERCHARGERS 1329 HWY. 2 LEAVENWORTH CHELAN Active 2000 AMP SERVICE WITH CHARGERS & CHARGING STATIONS

With the re-appearing SC construction at Issaquah and being only 8 stalls, I got to thinking (dangerous I know). That location is really well-situated and will very likely be too small given the current and future production/deliveries of the model 3, and model Y. Also, it wasn't "officially" on Tesla's map, just like Leavenworth (probably other issues with Wenatchee).

So, perhaps we will see more locations (not currently on Tesla's map) with a smaller number of urban stalls, instead of a smaller number of mega-stall stations (20+). We know Fred Meyer has hosted several sites and there were rumors that all stores might be considered. Looking at Seattle area stores, there are plenty of well-placed options, especially if every one gets 8-stalls (2x Renton, Maple Valley, 4x+ Seattle North, Burien, 2x Kent, Puyallup, 4x Tacoma, Redmond, etc.). And what's up with the south sound? It's not quite as bad as North Dakota, but it certainly makes it difficult for me to travel from Ellensburg around Tacoma over to the Peninsula.

What do folks think? Is it better to have fewer (say four) 20+ stall installations around the Seattle area or twelve 8-stall locations that are more widely distributed? I think that apartment/condo dwellers might prefer more distributed locations, especially at shopping centers.

What do folks think? Is it better to have fewer (say four) 20+ stall installations around the Seattle area or twelve 8-stall locations that are more widely distributed? I think that apartment/condo dwellers might prefer more distributed locations, especially at shopping centers.

Let's say you're having an emergency and you really, really need to use the bathroom. Would you rather be at a strip mall where 4 business have single stall bathrooms or at a mall where there is one bathroom with many stalls?

• Funny
Reactions: IdaX and ReddyLeaf