Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New supercharger pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cost to charge at my home is ~$0.11 per KWh. If the supercharger prices are in the over $0.30 range then that puts the economics of road trips closer to ICE vehicles, especially with gas prices continuing to be low.

You should also keep in mind that you will probably start with a full charge, get a cheap (perhaps free) charge at your destination, will probably charge for free at your overnight hotel, etc. I recently did about 700 miles (round-trip), charged at the hotel, charged while having long dinner, only used supercharger one time for about 20 kwh.

This would be different on a coast-to-coast trip, but most of us don't drive coast to coast very often (as in never for me personally). Tesla is not ideal for super long trips as charge times will start to add up.

In my area one of the popular trips would be Salt Lake to Vegas. In LR Model 3 you would stop one time in Beaver, have a nice long lunch or dinner, and then drive to Vegas (you may have to keep your speed reasonable to make this work). Assuming I will charge at relatives' house or hotel in Vegas, that should be about $15 in supercharger costs each way.

Lol. $0.26/kW is not cheap. Works out to being no better than a decent hybrid if you're one of the non-garaged and your only option is SCs. And before someone with no idea of practical usage chimes in with simple math, know that the range hit in town can approach or exceed 50% for short haul trips, while still getting every bit of 100% less degradation on the (open) road.

Captive market, folks - it will be what it will be. And I will be driving pre-April 2017 Model Ss until the wheels fall off before I pay those rates.

If you don't drive a lot and/or don't live in one of the higher-priced areas, supercharging will still be a sweet deal for most for the foreseeable futur
Not to mention that despite all the silly rhetoric to the contrary, NOBODY yet has anything close to the SC network Tesla has. One would have thought the EA buildout would be further along but it appears they're finding out the hard way some of the hurdles that Tesla has repeatedly and successfully overcome these past 5-ish years (much like Tesla has encountered numerous hurdles in building the cars that other manufacturers resolved years ago).

Edit: I see in the simultaneous post above that $0.26 is now $0.31. That's quite a jump for many markets that weren't close to $0.26 (heretofore the airspace of CA, MA, and a few others). Like I said - captive market.
1 kw = 4.13 miles. That’s $0.063 / mile.

Disappointed to hear about the rollback... it was a step in the right direction to encourage home charging. :cool:

Tesla reduces Supercharger price hike
Now Tesla told Electrek that it listened to customer feedback and decided to reduce the Supercharger price increase by 10% globally.
After the price increase last week, the average price in the US was $0.31 per kWh. It is now down to $0.28 per kWh...

Nice to see that Tesla is listening to customer feedback and making this new price increase more reasonable. It is still a little high in some markets, but we explain why that can be the case in our last article about it, especially with demand charges, which can be extremely steep for charging station operators. Hopefully, Tesla can get those prices under control because they can’t keep going up at that rate without affecting the economic benefits of the Supercharger network.

I don't care how much they charge to use Superchargers. If I need it to get home, I stop at one for just enough time to get home. Nothing is worse than needing a 10 minute charge and having to wait 10 minutes to get it because people are topping off. No more free supercharging on new cars means availability will increase with added chargers. Unless you live somewhere where there are a lot of Teslas and more availability will create an induced demand situation until way more chargers are installed. When they come out with Gen3 chargers, I hope they make them pay only. Would suck to pull into one and have a free guy topping off.

I also think idle fees should apply immediately at 100%, none of this 5 free minutes nonsense. Nobody should let their car get that full. Is Tesla able to charge idle fees to free supercharging cars?

Is Tesla able to charge idle fees to free supercharging cars?
Yes, idle fees still apply to everyone. That doesn't violate what was originally offered with the old cars, because what was offered was charging, not parking there blocking the spot and preventing other people from using it, so they are totally justified in penalizing the "free" folks from being hooked up while not charging.

Reactions: Phlier
Nothing is worse than needing a 10 minute charge and having to wait 10 minutes to get it because people are topping off.
Yip, this is the attitude of those of us who pay for it. I have heard those who don't talk about they top off so they don't have to come back sooner. Our month-old Supercharger is full from 9 am to 9 pm, and I know it's charging full speed these days, so it's down to just those topping off or those shopping who aren't ready to pick up their cars yet. I wonder if idle fees will get the latter moving along after they have been bitten once.

-Randy

Yip, this is the attitude of those of us who pay for it. I have heard those who don't talk about they top off so they don't have to come back sooner. Our month-old Supercharger is full from 9 am to 9 pm, and I know it's charging full speed these days, so it's down to just those topping off or those shopping who aren't ready to pick up their cars yet. I wonder if idle fees will get the latter moving along after they have been bitten once.

-Randy
Alameda needed one really bad.

-Randy
would be nice if they could put some reasonable limitations on the free stuff.
San Ramon Dublin chargers have the same problem Alameda has.
Maybe half of the spots could be pay only in residential areas? Or 10 minute only charging for those of us who just need enough to get home.
When Nissan was giving free charging, you could pull up to an EVgo station with a Leaf at like 90% and they would make you wait for them to finish charging. And that last 10% was like only 4 miles for them and took ~30 minutes. And a lot of those only have 1-2 plugs. Really annoying since I only used EVgo for a few minutes at low SOC to get home on a cold night
When given the opportunity people will be rude