Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Model S Has 2nd Triple Cam For Autopilot & Pedestrian Noise Unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm, sorry, do you see it as harmful in some way? This happens quite frequently, esp in the auto world. I've not acted on stories that I thought were harmful, but didn't see this as such. Perhaps I'm missing something...?

Edit: This is about cars already being produced, so it's not something that would harm sales. Again, unless I'm missing something.
So you think publishing stolen intellectual property is acceptable as long as product sales are are not "harmed". And that it is okay for someone to steal intellectual property and publish it because others do it in the "auto world".

You and I have different standards of ethical behavior.

So you think publishing stolen intellectual property is acceptable as long as product sales are are not "harmed". And that it is okay for someone to steal intellectual property and publish it because others do it in the "auto world".

I'm with ECar on this. It may seem harmless but it just doesn't seem ethical to me.

That would be me :)

I'll definitely look for as much as I can. I assume if the cameras have been updated it will be pretty obvious on the windshield. And I'll check out the battery pack.

I also wish you the best. Enjoy you're new S, it will thrill you!

Reactions: ZachShahan
I have little doubt that the triple forward camera setup will be in a future Model S (and X and 3), since that is what the future Mobileye architecture is. However I didn't think it would happen very soon since the required Mobileye chipset isn't shipping in volume yet. Or at least I don't think it is. I suppose in theory, Tesla could outfit current cars with three vid cameras and associated wiring, and then have a replaceable control board for when the Mobileye hardware becomes available. But I highly doubt that.

So the real question, if you want to confirm when this triple video sensor suite will be available, is when is Mobileye shipping their next generation chipset in quantity? And as I said, I don't think that is anytime very soon. So this schematic could very well be for what Tesla is going to do in the future when the chipsets are available.

Just speculating... but could Tesla add the wiring now, to Mobileye's spec, and follow up later with the new triple camera and chipset as they become available?

I'm not sure why Tesla would want to change the wiring so far in advance. But it might have been a relatively simple change and snuck in alongside the other, more visible changes. Maybe they have a Plan B to use the same wiring even if the next generation Mobileye falls through.

Reactions: ZachShahan

Jumping to the conclusion of "stolen" is a big leap to me. We do have a presumption of innocence until proven guilty in a free and democratic society.

But leaving that aside, do you think a company surreptitiously leaking information to be published through or by unsuspecting pawns is acceptable? We know it happens -- a lot -- and by the largest corporations. For instance, John Martellaro explained how it was done at Apple to get intentionally leaked information to the Wall Street Journal through unsuspecting people who thought they got real leaks. Is that also unethical in your opinion? If not, why not? You can't have it both ways, if you ask me.

It's fine to sit on a high horse and criticize others -- but sometime the air we breathe up there isn't as fresh as we think.

Last edited:
My guess from looking at the evidence is they will use either the triple camera OR the original mono-cam configuration, and the schematic supports both. That way they can continue to build cars with the existing camera then upgrade to the triple as they have supplies. I do not think there will be a configuration with 4 cameras. It is possible that there will be 2 cameras in the center by the RV mirror, and the 3rd (fish eye) will be mounted elsewhere.

This is a natural evolution to improve the resolution, field-of-vision and dynamic range of the camera system. The software will fuse the inputs of the cameras together. This reminds me of the human eye's fovea (although somewhat opposite) with a lot of cone density near the focal center and less near the edges. Our visual cortex does the fusion in our case.

pic

"Update: A cool human has dropped screenshots of the key points in the comments. If you looked through the full schematics, the difference would be obvious, but neither of us is interested in crossing a sensitive line that doesn’t need to be crossed, so we aren’t sharing the full schematics. The key point is that these new features are going into the new Model Ss being produced now (but that wasn’t the case with the handmade display models that some people spent a lot of time examining in Tesla stores)."

So it is confirmed?

Paramus, NJ has refreshes actively delivering to customers. My DS looked for camera differences on Classic S, preproduction showroom S, and refresh customer S and cannot spot anything visibly different with camera nor additional camera locations.

EDIT: eclipxe points out that no full refreshes at new price with complete hardware should yet have emerged. There is still hope.

Last edited:
Paramus, NJ has refreshes actively delivering to customers. My DS looked for camera differences on Classic S, preproduction showroom S, and refresh customer S and cannot spot anything visibly different with camera nor additional camera locations.
I don't believe any refreshes ordered after the official changes have been delivered. There were some prior orders that got the front end and headlights but none that were purchased at the new price on the 16th. I could be wrong.

Hmm, sorry, do you see it as harmful in some way? This happens quite frequently, esp in the auto world. I've not acted on stories that I thought were harmful, but didn't see this as such. Perhaps I'm missing something...?

Edit: This is about cars already being produced, so it's not something that would harm sales. Again, unless I'm missing something.
Keep them coming Zach. I appreciate the information.

First of all, I wouldn't call it stolen.

Secondly, I didn't publish anything directly from Tesla materials. I noted something that is coming, that we already knew would be coming. But I would say this is a grey area.

Thirdly, journalists are legally allowed to do this (I mean, to do more than I did). Whether legal and ethical are the same here is a philosophical discussion. And, again, it's a grey area that I'm thinking about more deeply following your feedback (which I honestly wasn't expecting in this case).

Thanks for chiming in and discussing your opinion. It goes against the typical desires of the community, which makes it more valuable (especially to me). And I am still thinking about the philosophical side of it all.

Last edited:
No confirmation so far. The recently delivered "refresh" so far have been orders placed right before price increase - they have some a the refresh goodies (ie new nose) but not all the features (ie no HEPA filter option). Need few more days for the first complete refresh to be delivered - track TMC member "electrik" who's likely to have one of the first one delivered. Then we'll know if they have the new set of cameras.

Reactions: gsxdsm
No confirmation so far. The recently delivered "refresh" so far have been orders placed right before price increase - they have some a the refresh goodies (ie new nose) but not all the features (ie no HEPA filter option). Need few more days for the first complete refresh to be delivered - track TMC member "electrik" who's likely to have one of the first one delivered. Then we'll know if they have the new set of cameras.
We only know of one delivery and they didnt' have the premium package. Since the new nose required a new hood which then also includes a new frunk I would say that all refreshed S's have the new filtration, but those not ordered with premium package are missing the extra goodies as in Bio weapons....

Reactions: newtman
The schematic is available in the part/service catalog for everyone in Europa, China, and Massachusetts.

In Europe car manufacturers is required by law to make this information available. Think same apply for Massachusetts i the US.
So nothing is "stolen" .
I am relieved to hear that. Thank you for posting.

My apologies to Zach. I am puzzled as to why he was so mysterious about his source of the schematic he posted if it is readily available in Europe.