Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Track Mode v2 and Track pack!?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like it's not available for Performance Stealth owners. I wonder why...

As others have said, the brake pads won't fit the non-performance brakes.

I like the new track mode, seems more usable for daily driving. Keep the nannys mostly on with a little more room to play.

Uhhh could you not? Please? What need is there to "play" on public roads, that sounds terrifying.

those wheels are pretty nice though! No thanks on the $600 tires that are going to be shot in a couple days at the track...

That's the entire point of track tires though....to use them for hot laps at the track. Also FYI, the Cup 2 in 245/35R20 is only $345/each on Tire Rack, which is a reasonable price for that tire size. Track days aren't a hobby for saving money; they're a great way to turn a large fortune into a small one.

That's the entire point of track tires though....to use them for hot laps at the track. Also FYI, the Cup 2 in 245/35R20 is only $345/each on Tire Rack, which is a reasonable price for that tire size. Track days aren't a hobby for saving money; they're a great way to turn a large fortune into a small one.[/
That's the entire point of track tires though....to use them for hot laps at the track. Also FYI, the Cup 2 in 245/35R20 is only $345/each on Tire Rack, which is a reasonable price for that tire size. Track days aren't a hobby for saving money; they're a great way to turn a large fortune into a small one.

I know what the point of the track package is. If track runs are your cup of tea then maybe it’s worth it to go through tires like that, but even at $345 per tire, it seems like a huge waste of money to me, but I’m also not spending every weekend at the track, so my opinion doesn’t matter haha. I do prefers the new wheels to the stock Performance 20”s and I do like the Performance 20”s.

Uh huh. Cause people have soooo much trouble selling their 20” wheels.

Fair point- RobDickinson already explained why there's such a large market for em :)

Easy to sell the 20s to people who have wrecked their 20s in pot holes!

Why anybody else'd buy em instead of lighter and/or wider and/or better wheels I'm unclear though.

Truth is we dont know for sure as there is no official word.

Is it free? Is it free for all Perf cars regardless? I would assume so, but.

The original posted video repeated, multiple times- free OTA upgrade for all performance cars.

Rim looks a little like a flower petal to me

9F079F24-EF83-4BB5-BAB4-2052ADA9D72D.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Skione65
It looks like it will be free upgrade for Performances over the air. This is a weird package, why would i pay $5500 for comparable wheels, pads, and break fluid? Wish they would have added some lips or something more aggressive on the styling for this package at least

I think this is a nice package. A full-warrantied set, with some decent forged wheels. The key for the track enthusiast will be the weight of the wheels versus the existing 20s.

I think Tesla got the balance right as a FACTORY setup, with full WARRANTY.

You have the base Performance, with all round “OK” braking and handling - suited better for the more unpleasant climes with its all-season tires. Then you have the PUP Model 3 which is suited for light track duty and spirited canyon runs (and it all looks awesome if you ask me). And then you have the Track Package which really is exactly what it says. I don’t recommend those tires at all for the street. Anyone who’s into serious tracking will enjoy those Michelins a great deal - and definitely brake pads/upgraded fluid (no data on them yet).

No question to me the PUP does not negate the Track Package. One is for the spirited street/canyon drives and one is strictly for the track.

Tesla agrees since the Track Package requires the PUP. It’s an enthusiast package, of course.

The new Track Mode software looks absolutely incredible. I can’t wait until people start delving into the nitty gritty of all the options.

Hopefully the new recording features can be incorporated into Dash Cam etc, so we can have data on speeds and Gs. Of course it’s a balancing act since you don’t want those stats to obscure actual video data you need to see.

Anyway, this is an awesome hardware option (not for everyone of course) and a really awesome software upgrade.

Reactions: M109Rider and heems
I have an upcoming cross-country drive...

Do you think "turning off" one of the motors (i.e. 100% FWD or RWD) would increase efficiency?

It operates in RWD unless it senses power is requred at the front. If anything, you'd get less efficiency using track mode because the fans and pumps are on all the time to keep everything cool.

Reactions: Jedi2155 and pow216
I don’t recommend those tires at all for the street.

I'm seeing this comment a lot. It's false and based on old information.

The original Cups were not good in the rain and you'd need to be quite careful driving to and from the track in bad weather, especially in a light car.
The Cup2 is a different tyre and fitted to a P3D gives masses of confidence. It will not throw you off the track even in pouring rain and standing water.

Unless you expect to encounter snow and ice on your way to the track, the Cup2 can be used as a ultra high performance summer tyre for the road. An advantage when used with the P3D on track is that the shoulders are specially reinforced and use a different compound, so if you don't modify your suspension to get more camber, these tyres will last longer than most other track-focussed tyres, even though they start life with less tread depth than some.

I'm seeing this comment a lot. It's false and based on old information.

The original Cups were not good in the rain and you'd need to be quite careful driving to and from the track in bad weather, especially in a light car.
The Cup2 is a different tyre and fitted to a P3D gives masses of confidence. It will not throw you off the track even in pouring rain and standing water.

Unless you expect to encounter snow and ice on your way to the track, the Cup2 can be used as a ultra high performance summer tyre for the road. An advantage when used with the P3D on track is that the shoulders are specially reinforced and use a different compound, so if you don't modify your suspension to get more camber, these tyres will last longer than most other track-focussed tyres, even though they start life with less tread depth than some.

It’s certainly not old information. Let’s put it this way: The PS4S are street tires you can take to the track. The Cup 2 is a track tire that you can use on the street. I certainly wouldn’t, though, especially if the temperatures drop into the 40s, where the PS4S still do very, very well. It just doesn’t make sense to have the Cup 2 on the street, especially considering their cost.

It’s certainly not old information. Let’s put it this way: The PS4S are street tires you can take to the track. The Cup 2 is a track tire that you can use on the street. I certainly wouldn’t, though, especially if the temperatures drop into the 40s, where the PS4S still do very, very well. It just doesn’t make sense to have the Cup 2 on the street, especially considering their cost.
Not all day every day no, but your original comment was "I don’t recommend those tires at all for the street" and they are perfectly fine for the street if you want to keep them on a few days after you've been to the track but haven't had time to swap your wheels over, for instance.

I've driven on them in very wet conditions in the low 40s and they worked well enough. Better than MXM4s I would say ;)