Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tyres at 60 000kms

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's your right to remain sceptical:)
I used to check my pressures weekly, then monthly, then every few months....
Pressure remained the same. If I'd had to keep returning to the tyre place to refill with N all the time I would have just changed back to 79%N but I've continued to use it on a variety of cars for over 10 years. I'm not claiming any performance advantage but it sure holds the pressure better than air
YMMV

Those with P85D/P90D, where did you get your replacement tyres from....

245/35ZR21 front
265/35ZR21 rear

Michelin pilot sport... not listed on Michelin website, or a few other sites l checked...

Are you using another brand or was different brand fitted when received car??

Those with P85D/P90D, where did you get your replacement tyres from....

245/35ZR21 front
265/35ZR21 rear

Michelin pilot sport... not listed on Michelin website, or a few other sites l checked...

Are you using another brand or was different brand fitted when received car??

These tyres came standard on the P85+ too.

They are not available from Michelin Australia (they will try and tell you they don't make them in that size)

Tesla import them, so they are available from the Melbourne and Sydney service centres.

Those on 21", do you have Michelins or Continentals?? Anyone know if any major difference between them?

Beaurepaires, Can do 265/35R21 for $699.. in QLD fitted... for the Continentals conti 5 SP... supposedly an original Tesla tyre.
They can't get the Michelins which l currently have.
Bob Jane can get Michelins but dont have firm price yet, but will be close to $800 mark.

Those on 21", do you have Michelins or Continentals?? Anyone know if any major difference between them?

Beaurepaires, Can do 265/35R21 for $699.. in QLD fitted... for the Continentals conti 5 SP... supposedly an original Tesla tyre.
They can't get the Michelins which l currently have.
Bob Jane can get Michelins but dont have firm price yet, but will be close to $800 mark.

At $800 a tyre that gets 17,500kms the 21s work out at almost 8 times more per kilometre than the 19s.

Reactions: Cloxxki
Mazda service centers have their own Nitrogen generators and Im wondering what Tesla think about Nitrogen.
I inquired about Nitrogen at Jax tires and they said $8 a wheel. Involves hoisting the car and vacuuming each tire before filling with dried Nitrogen. The article above states that whatever you fill your tires with, its important that it has no moisture content...
Nitrogen is worth the expense if, and only if, 1) your area has constant fluctuations between very cold and very warm weather or 2) you regularly drive on very twisty roads and/or drive aggressively.
I do not currently use nitrogen in my Tesla, but neither of those conditions apply.
I have used nitrogen in every aircraft I ever owned (>50 all told) and in several cars (Ferrari, Maserati, Porsche).
The cost is not really worth it otherwise, in my view. If the cost is minimal I would certainly do it now.
Another advantage in tyre longevity is that the lower expansion rate of nitrogen coupled with the dry interior (all reputable nitrogen fillers dry the tyres prior to loading with nitrogen), but that advantage is very small without one of teh two situations above.
The other small advantage is that the larger nitrogen molecules leak less rapidly than do those of the oxygen in air. That is also a very minor point, unless one of those two conditions apply.
In my view it is really nice and good for a tyre dealer or car dealer to have nitrogen, but tesla does not do that. In my ~48,000 km, I have had to top off only two or three times, but i measure the pressures about once per month anyway, out of lifelong habit.

FWIW, the cars I had that I filled with nitrogen were easy because i had nitrogen in my own shop for the airplanes, so it was easy. Would I have done it otherwise? Probably, but I do not know for certain.

BTW, if you have 21" wheels on an S, 22" on an X I would use nitrogen because those tyres are subject to greater stresses and have less tolerance for bumps than do the others, they also wear much, much faster.