Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New unlimited lifetime supercharger promotion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla simply realized in this case how dumb it was to tell their early adopters that they shouldn't upgrade to a new car because they will lose unlimited supercharging. Basically, giving the market that has the MOST incentive to upgrade an incentive NOT to.

I agree this must have been a part of Tesla's motivation, especially taken together with the speculated demand drop overall. Too some bad people were caught in the middle making purchase decisions earlier this year based on false expectations.

Fully understand the concerns. When I first read it was coming back, I had the feeling of being screwed as a purchaser in the no-unlimited window. But they did tier it in a way to give various folks better benefits so the people that bought in early q1 are still rewarded more.

They likely were not planning on bringing it back. But gave in to all the feedback. They turned the program into a long term loyalty program.

Fully understand the concerns. When I first read it was coming back, I had the feeling of being screwed as a purchaser in the no-unlimited window. But they did tier it in a way to give various folks better benefits so the people that bought in early q1 are still rewarded more.

They likely were not planning on bringing it back. But gave in to all the feedback. They turned the program into a long term loyalty program.

Yeah, which in itself if very nice.

Had they just done this (instead of the Q1 shenaningas), it would have been great all around.

There is no way to spin this as a move of integrity for Tesla. I don't care that newer owners get free supercharging. That's awesome.

But to use the end of free-supercharging to motivate sales -- only to post facto say "just kidding!" -- is completely dishonest.

As Q4 2016 buyer, every sales tactic employed to get me to purchase my car has turned out to be a lie.

That's exactly how I feel. Tesla was being dishonest in order to goose sales, and that's unethical. But us existing owners did receive a good perk with the FUSC "loyalty" program, and I have no complaints about that. :)

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
No publicly listed firm on earth is immune to "quarterly results" and the influence thereof on share price/possibility to raise new capital in the near future. Tesla, I think, has a very clear long-term goal, and is trying as hard as it can to reconcile that with the market dictatorship of quarterly results. Mustn't be easy.

Reactions: ohmman
No publicly listed firm on earth is immune to "quarterly results" and the influence thereof on share price/possibility to raise new capital in the near future. Tesla, I think, has a very clear long-term goal, and is trying as hard as it can to reconcile that with the market dictatorship of quarterly results. Mustn't be easy.

Yeah, though obviously the measure of both person and company are how they behave when it isn't easy. It is easy to be ethical when it is... well, easy. Harder when it is hard. I think in this instance (and in many others in recent times), Tesla has failed the ethics test.

Yeah, though obviously the measure of both person and company are how they behave when it isn't easy. It is easy to be ethical when it is... well, easy. Harder when it is hard. I think in this instance (and in many others in recent times), Tesla has failed the ethics test.

I think the problem is that tesla just didn't brainstorm this idea in time. This should have been how they made the transition initially. Less about ethics, more about poor business planning and strategy. They only realized this was a better option after the fact.

Jmho.

Hi,

well, this statement:

Because they most certainly cannot take this perk away from us.

I'm not really too sure of. Will a screenshot of your MyTesla page today really have any legal value in the future??

Because Tesla works with what is essentially a "dynamic" web-only documentation, it's not easy to keep track of the development.

Our decision to get a Tesla in the summer of 2016 meant that the usual new vehicle value was nearly doubled - and we only decided to "join the family" after the "budget" S60 was introduced.

We took delivery on 30 September, and had our backs been more compatible, we would not have separated ways after only 6 months.

When it became evident that the Model S seating position and our backs were not compatible, our decision to get into a Model X was rushed quite a lot by the end of FUSC - and we took delivery on March 31, at 10 PM (!), as the last of NINE customers that day.

Customers, and Tesla staff, were quite stressed in that period - this could easily have been avoided with a more logical approach, like the one we see today.

Six HOURS (!) after ordering our Model X, the configuration we have became unavailable, and also our original Tesla, a Model 60D with painted roof, is now history. Who knows which surprises they have in stall for us regarding FUSC?

The messages are not very clear. I made a table. Please correct me if anything is wrong.

View attachment 227802

The only correction I see is that on the buyer after May 20th with a referral: Their free Supercharging is not lifetime. It is limited to just the car while they own it. So if they buy another car without a referral they don't get free Supercharging on it, if they sell the car the new owner doesn't get free Supercharging.

I think there was a miscommunication between Tesla HQ and my sales guys.

So, my order a few days ago 5/19 before midnight will NOT quality for FUSC transferability. *I* can retain free supercharging for the remainder of my ownership, but this benefit expires when the car is sold. (They are double checking this for me...)

I don't mind. The people that truly ordered before 1/15/17 deserve this as a perk for ordering when they did.

Because of this, I may cancel my reservation and wait. I know there's no way to 'guess' Tesla's sales game, but I'm in no rush and I don't mind waiting a few months.

Test drive this weekend was fantastic. Really enjoyed the instant torque--even at highway speeds. Space was much larger on the inside than I anticipated.

Didn't like the cumbersome radio controls. It seemed like too many steps to get from one channel/station/etc to another. Or maybe I just don't know how to do it.

I'm pretty sensitive to ghosting, and while I did notice it slightly, I had to look for it and it didn't really bother me all much.

Can somebody answer if a NON-PUP order will retains the FWD controls via Key Fob? I just don't see a $4500 value in the PUP. I really do enjoy opening the front doors via key fob, though......but a $4500 option?!?!?

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
So, my order a few days ago 5/19 before midnight will NOT quality for FUSC transferability. *I* can retain free supercharging for the remainder of my ownership, but this benefit expires when the car is sold.
They way the announcement was worded, if you ordered before 5/19 you would get UFSC for this and any future S or X cars you purchase and it's not transferable with the car; if you order after 5/19 then you have to use someone's code to get UFSC but it will be only for the duration of the ownership.

There is no way to spin this as a move of integrity for Tesla. I don't care that newer owners get free supercharging. That's awesome.

But to use the end of free-supercharging to motivate sales -- only to post facto say "just kidding!" -- is completely dishonest.

As Q4 2016 buyer, every sales tactic employed to get me to purchase my car has turned out to be a lie.

Right, because you have the internal Tesla memo that sets out this plan when they ended free supercharging. Please post a copy of it for us to read too.

Do you call your family and friends "liars "when they tell you something, then circumstances change, so the information changes?

This is simply a business move by Tesla to increase profits. Until the memo is released, I don't buy into the conspiracy argument. Why people expect morals or ethics from a corporation is beyond me. That's like expecting a shark to be friendly to its prey. And customers are prey to corporations.

I don't like this new plan. Yes, it will give me free supercharging when I upgrade my Model S but a lot of older Teslas are going to go on the market real cheap, which is already happening, and will get worse with the Model 3. For people living paycheque to paycheque a free supercharge means a lot, and even many wealthy people do odd things to save a buck, like hanging around a supercharger when they can charge at home, which is how many of them got to be wealthy.

They better get busy adding a ton of new superchargers.

I went to my "MyTesla" page and saved a screenshot of the wording...

Supercharging
You have free, unlimited Supercharging, including your current Tesla and any new Model S or Model X you purchase. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner. In addition, up to five friends you refer will also receive free Supercharging. Read our Supercharging term

I plan to live a long time and I don't trust any corporation to keep a promise, or a contractual term.

ah, ok. I found the blurb under mytesla section of the website. Hmmm...is the 'forever' supercharging worth it for me on all future Xs or Ss?
I don't think so.

If I order in a few months, I'll still get the unlimited supercharging on the model X I'd order anyway--from a referral. Who's to say that Tesla won't be changing this up one year from now and introduce unlimited supercharging on ALL Model X's or S's. Or maybe it'll only be included in the performance versions.

Last edited:

If you listen to some of the public statements, conference calls and presentations over the years there appear to be conflicting opinions on the viability of free 'unlimited' supercharging at Tesla.

3 years ago Elon said that supercharging 'Is and always will be free'. In a Q&A last year I recall JB saying something along the lines of 'It breaks our heart when people waste their time at a supercharger instead of charging at home'. THEN late last year there was the issue of fleet cars and locals clogging city SCs which lead to the idle fees.

I don't think it's a conspiracy to sell cars... the goal is to offer free fuel for travel while maintaining a positive experience at superchargers which means deterring people from using them instead of charging at home (even if they are well within their rights to do so....). Offering free 'unlimited' supercharging is 100% viable even for the Model 3.... but only if it's not used for destination/home charging... it's sad that a few bad apple are going to ruin this for everyone.....else.... that's not currently an owner :)

Hi,

I'm not really too sure of. Will a screenshot of your MyTesla page today really have any legal value in the future??

The goal is to have Tesla owners for life. if they decide 10 years down the road "hey psyche remember when we said you get free supercharging for life? we changed our minds even though you're a small % of the overall tesla population we're gonna piss you off and screw you over"...

That's a highly unlikely scenario. Tesla has flip flopped a few times, but not in the sense of taking away something they promised (i'm not talking about AP2's supposed features). They would have absolutely 0 incentive to revoke FUSC for life especially with idle fees still applicable.

Then again introducing the FUSC for life perk seems to have pissed off a lot of snowflakes, so i guess you can't please anyone and they'll just do whatever they very well please out of spite.

Reactions: KJD
Smacks of desperation. Q2 numbers must be in trouble. Good for the (recent) Tesla faithful though.

Lol @pjoseph - I click disagree on your post (as I personally don't think desperation has anything to do with this), so you retaliate by going back through my posting history and clicking disagree on a bunch of things I've written in four different threads, including things that just state facts or ask questions and don't offer any opinions to disagree with. Thin skin, eh?

Hubby checked his MyTesla and he does have the FSC on our car plus the mention of it on future S or Xs. Not sure why my email that I posted about before in this thread didn't say that. Definitely not mentioned at that time.

I don't look at this as any type of conspiracy to deceive buyers. We bought end of year and have enjoyed driving it ever since. I think sales figures, projections and how fast the technology is ready...and the market in general, are more valid reasons for running promos.

Anyway surprised no one mentioned that the future free supercharging specifically applies to S or Xs. Somewhere down the road those vehicle models could be phased out for something else. Anyway glad that our 2016 year end purchase has the FSC and that when our second car gets replaced we can still have it with a future S. Very much loving our S, totally get the Tesla Grin, never felt so connected to a car before. Love the X as well and kind of thought that might be our next second car but find the S is more than enough of a car for just the two of us.