Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New unlimited lifetime supercharger promotion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They way the announcement was worded, if you ordered before 5/19 you would get UFSC for this and any future S or X cars you purchase and it's not transferable with the car; if you order after 5/19 then you have to use someone's code to get UFSC but it will be only for the duration of the ownership.

Also, if you've already purchased a new tesla that had FUSC, ALL future new tesla model s/x you purchase will also have FUSC for you (not resale).

I think there was a miscommunication between Tesla HQ and my sales guys.

So, my order a few days ago 5/19 before midnight will NOT quality for FUSC transferability. *I* can retain free supercharging for the remainder of my ownership, but this benefit expires when the car is sold. (They are double checking this for me...)

I don't mind. The people that truly ordered before 1/15/17 deserve this as a perk for ordering when they did.

Because of this, I may cancel my reservation and wait. I know there's no way to 'guess' Tesla's sales game, but I'm in no rush and I don't mind waiting a few months.

Test drive this weekend was fantastic. Really enjoyed the instant torque--even at highway speeds. Space was much larger on the inside than I anticipated.

Didn't like the cumbersome radio controls. It seemed like too many steps to get from one channel/station/etc to another. Or maybe I just don't know how to do it.

I'm pretty sensitive to ghosting, and while I did notice it slightly, I had to look for it and it didn't really bother me all much.

Can somebody answer if a NON-PUP order will retains the FWD controls via Key Fob? I just don't see a $4500 value in the PUP. I really do enjoy opening the front doors via key fob, though......but a $4500 option?!?!?

I can confirm that a non-PUP X is able to open and close both FWDs from the key fob. The front doors don't open from the fob with or without. But they will self present on a PUp when you walk towards it

I can confirm that a non-PUP X is able to open and close both FWDs from the key fob. The front doors don't open from the fob with or without. But they will self present on a PUp when you walk towards it

yeah this is definitely something software limited. the hardware is there for the MX to open for you but it's an add on feature that you need for PUP.

Right, because you have the internal Tesla memo that sets out this plan when they ended free supercharging. Please post a copy of it for us to read too.

Do you call your family and friends "liars "when they tell you something, then circumstances change, so the information changes?

This is simply a business move by Tesla to increase profits. Until the memo is released, I don't buy into the conspiracy argument. Why people expect morals or ethics from a corporation is beyond me. That's like expecting a shark to be friendly to its prey. And customers are prey to corporations.

I don't like this new plan. Yes, it will give me free supercharging when I upgrade my Model S but a lot of older Teslas are going to go on the market real cheap, which is already happening, and will get worse with the Model 3. For people living paycheque to paycheque a free supercharge means a lot, and even many wealthy people do odd things to save a buck, like hanging around a supercharger when they can charge at home, which is how many of them got to be wealthy.

They better get busy adding a ton of new superchargers.

I went to my "MyTesla" page and saved a screenshot of the wording...

I plan to live a long time and I don't trust any corporation to keep a promise, or a contractual term.
How many ways do you want it?

First you try to draw an analogy between my relationship to Tesla and to family.

Then you scream about how Tesla is simply a predator and a customer is simply its prey.

But to be clear, you say!, Tesla is a predator that oughtn't to be thought to make plans ahead of time to lure its prey UNLESS the predator tells you this while eating you and you are able to record this and have it verified. Dare not think poorly of the tiger.

Then you close by telling us that you don't trust any corporations.

Congrats. By merely sacrificing coherency, you've covered all the bases. I can't refute a position that holds every position.

Last edited:
How many ways do you want it?
First you try to draw an analogy between my relationship to Tesla and to family.
Then you scream about how Tesla is simply a predator and a customer is simply its prey.
But to be clear, you say!, Tesla is a predator that oughtn't to be thought to make plans ahead of time to lure its prey UNLESS the predator tells you this while eating you and you are able to record this and have it verified. Dare not think poorly of the tiger.
Then you close by telling us that you don't trust any corporations.
Congrats. By merely sacrificing coherency, you've covered all the bases. I can't refute a position that holds every position.

Logic is not your strong point.

Tesla is a corporation. Corporations lie. But that does not mean that Tesla lied about this issue. I require more proof to accuse someone of lying. That proof is call "intention". I used your family and friends as an example to show that you do too. You don't assume your family intended to lie to you when circumstances change do you?

Got it now?

But you can believe the conspiracy theory if you want.

Reactions: KJD
Logic is not your strong point.

Tesla is a corporation. Corporations lie. But that does not mean that Tesla lied about this issue. I require more proof to accuse someone of lying. That proof is call "intention". I used your family and friends as an example to show that you do too. You don't assume your family intended to lie to you when circumstances change do you?

Got it now?

But you can believe the conspiracy theory if you want.
Friend, I don't doubt for one second that you believe you are making sense. And I certainly won't deny the abrasiveness of your tone -- I recognize that your puffed-chest bombast is a turn-on for forum fanatics.

But you're not making sense. In the post above you make exactly the same incoherent argument. Alas, repeating something incoherent doesn't make it coherent. It's not like a double negative.

• Disagree
Reactions: KJD
Friend, I don't doubt for one second that you believe you are making sense. And I certainly won't deny the abrasiveness of your tone -- I recognize that your puffed-chest bombast is a turn-on for forum fanatics.

But you're not making sense. In the post above you make exactly the same incoherent argument. Alas, repeating something incoherent doesn't make it coherent. It's not like a double negative.

Instead of attacking me personally, please ask me what needs clarifying. It's an easy subject. Here it is one simple sentence:

Corporations are not moral and ethical but despite that fact I need some proof that Tesla set out with intention to deceive people.

Ask me questions if you don't understand that sentence. Also, you could answer the question I posed to you in my previous posts since that will also help you to understand.

But something tells me your reading comprehension is not as bad as you make it out to be. Rather, you just don't like being called out on something for which you don't have even the slightest of evidence in support. So you change the subject and attack me personally. Nice.

Instead of attacking me personally, please ask me what needs clarifying. It's an easy subject. Here it is one simple sentence:

Corporations are not moral and ethical but despite that fact I need some proof that Tesla set out with intention to deceive people.

Ask me questions if you don't understand that sentence. Also, you could answer the question I posed to you in my previous posts since that will also help you to understand.
"Logic is not your strong point" -- don't preach at me about personal attacks.

You rely upon an analogy between a group with a fundamental principle of charity and one with a fundamental principle of dishonesty in an attempt to claim that the dishonest deserve the benefit of the doubt because the honest deserve the benefit of the doubt. It's complete nonsense. You get an F.

You further the "proof" of your "logic" with your attempt at moral high ground by accusing me of personal attack -- so Troll MO that I nearly peed my pants.

Here's reason to believe this new gift is cynical: Tesla's dishonesty with HP, EAP delivery, standard safety features, the initial ending of FUSC before the availability of 100d to move 90d, the lack of QC, the sales tactics. Past behavior plus occam's razor. "Proof" is a nebulous concept. It is not rigidly designated by your movable whims and apparent fandom (your posts leave a legacy).

Here's reason to believe it is not cynical: fanaticism and stock ownership.

Hypothetical here -

Tesla finance - shoot, we can't afford all these folks exceeding 10% of their miles on supercharging. It's costing too much and slowing down others when traveling.

Tesla sales - it's a huge selling point, folks love it. Can't we keep it? What options do we have?

Tesla engineering - we can cap it at roughly 10%. Make it pay per use after that? Or we can limit it to travelers?

Tesla Big Wig - I like the 10% idea. It's crisp and clear. When can we have it?

Engineering - 4 weeks

Sales - we can focus on the free part and make this work!

Engineering - almost ready!

Sales - ok, lets hype this up and use it as a sales opportunity.

Engineering - shoot, not ready.

Sales - ok, we delay. Again. Not like delays are new around here!

---- release made ---

A few months later.

Sales - help, We love our early adopters, but we just shot them in the foot! They won't upgrade because they are unrealistically attached to the UFSC!!!

Engineering- what? You made us do that work, now you want it disabled? Grrrr

Big wig - lets go read suggestions from TMC. I remember everyone griping about outer change when we announced it. Maybe some of their alternative ideas would work.

I'd just like to peek my prehistoric head in and say that this thread isn't the place for posts containing referral links, nor is it the place for personal attacks. I'd also suggest restraint against reiterating oneself repeatedly.

To me, it seems like the thread is done. We've discussed the change, and the only outstanding item is the Q1 buyers who felt pressured into a purchase by the Supercharging change. They have the right to feel slighted and others have the right to disagree. None of us knows whether Tesla did this nefariously or not, and I don't think anyone's mind is going to be changed about it anyway. So what's the point?

I'm personally sympathetic to those who were waiting to buy but hurried into a decision under duress. I could see feeling stung by this update. But I'm also understanding of the fact that Tesla is really trying to figure this stuff out and isn't always the best at it. I wouldn't be surprised if S/X unlimited Supercharging becomes the standard from here on out. I don't think they can pull this lever too often.

Anyway, let's all be kind to one another. We're all here sharing a similar interest, right?

They didn't think this through for the CPO buyers. It screws anybody like me who ordered a CPO S but is still waiting to take delivery. I ordered a CPO 2016 pre-facelift S with AP1 on 5/1 and still have probably 5 weeks to wait. I won't get the free lifetime benefit, only the free supercharging which is tied to the car. It's useless to have free supercharging tied to the car since all CPO cars are either no AP or AP1 only, so if I ever upgrade to a new S I'm screwed because I'll lose free supercharging to get FSD or whatever I upgrade for.

This really puts people like me, who ordered the CPO before the announcement but haven't taken delivery yet, in a bind. Should I keep the car, knowing it's already obsolete and EOL since Elon just tweeted that AP1 is done in terms of being updated? Or should I cancel the CPO order, eat the $1,000 deposit, and just wait for a 3 or something? Ugh.

Do you call your family and friends "liars "when they tell you something, then circumstances change, so the information changes?

Not necessarily liars, but obviously untrustworthy if the circumstance change is only about their benefit and within their control. I expect trustworthy people to stick to their word especially when it becomes hard for them to do so. When it is easy or directly beneficial to be trustworthy, everyone is trustworthy...

This is simply a business move by Tesla to increase profits.

Obviously. Everything else be damned.

Until the memo is released, I don't buy into the conspiracy argument.

A conspiracy would be unethical of course, but it is not the only unethical angle here. Tesla's sales campaign can be considered unethical also because they knew Q1 purchasers would be slighted by it - and that they could avoid it by simply not implementing such a sales campaign... But, as you said, "This is simply a business move by Tesla to increase profits".

Why people expect morals or ethics from a corporation is beyond me. That's like expecting a shark to be friendly to its prey. And customers are prey to corporations.

We are not necessarily expecting it, we are reacting to the lack of it. Like we would react to a shark being a shark around us, obviously.

• Disagree
Reactions: KJD and Canuck
They didn't think this through for the CPO buyers. It screws anybody like me who ordered a CPO S but is still waiting to take delivery. I ordered a CPO 2016 pre-facelift S with AP1 on 5/1 and still have probably 5 weeks to wait. I won't get the free lifetime benefit, only the free supercharging which is tied to the car. It's useless to have free supercharging tied to the car since all CPO cars are either no AP or AP1 only, so if I ever upgrade to a new S I'm screwed because I'll lose free supercharging to get FSD or whatever I upgrade for.

This really puts people like me, who ordered the CPO before the announcement but haven't taken delivery yet, in a bind. Should I keep the car, knowing it's already obsolete and EOL since Elon just tweeted that AP1 is done in terms of being updated? Or should I cancel the CPO order, eat the $1,000 deposit, and just wait for a 3 or something? Ugh.

Are you certain you won't be included in the free for life group? I was under the impression it included everyone already owning or with an order. I guess CPO orders could be excluded, but do we know for sure yet?

In any case, a similar scenario will be free for life of car cars eventually become CPOs and used cars traded around. There will be a group of owners with free Supercharging, but only for that car. That might be an upgrade obstacle for them.

That said, it is of course up to Tesla to decide how they want to play this bit - this is not a angle I have any issue with, other than noting that certainly it can be an upgrade obstacle for the likes of @UnknownSoldier down the road. Losing that free perk will sting.

But the CPO group is probably of lower value anyway, so I am not expecting Tesla to make any further changes because of this sub-group. But to @UnknownSoldier I would recommend confirming if Tesla might be including you in the free for life group already...

I already contacted my CPO advisor and he said he would look into it when he had the chance. This guy claims he bought a CPO and received it on May 2nd and he has it on his account. I haven't received the car and it's not on my account so it isn't clear at all if there's a chance that after I receive the car, it will appear on my account.

Understanding Tesla’s new Supercharger access for Model S and Model X

Attachments

• supercharging.jpg
    supercharging.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Speculation is flying fast and furious, but I think Tesla is just opening free supercharging for life back up to all S and Xs and that will be a benefit of the high end car for the foreseeable future. This will include CPOs, owners of any S or X who upgrade to another S or X, and pretty much any other owner of an S or X with a clear title.

This will not cover people with salvage title S or X and it won't cover Model 3s or other mass market cars Tesla makes. This does make a clear benefit to shell out the extra money for the higher end car and helps to distinguish the S from the 3 more clearly. People who can afford the more expensive car and plan to do a lot of supercharging, it may make sense to shell out the extra and get the higher priced car. For those who are not going to be road tripping much, or have more limited budgets can settle for the less expensive, mass market car.

Tesla probably caved in and gave up on the paid supercharging for the newer S and X because they were seeing a clear decline in sales after free supercharging ended and the cost to them of providing it is less than the sales drop. Opening free supercharging back up is a cost to them, but most people don't use much more than the 400 KWh allowance a year anyway. So far in a year I've taken one road trip to California, and used superchargers three times on day trips. I did use 560 KWh on my California trip, but about 80 KWh of that was AC charging (at home and a destination charger at a hotel). If there were more convenient destination chargers I would have used those and used supercharging even less.

So I have gone over by about 100-150 KWh in the last year (between the trip and the day trips), but the last time I used a supercharger was in October. At the rates Tesla was going to charge, I would have been out $12-$18. Even if Tesla is just breaking even, they are only losing around $20 a year over what they would have given me for free if I was on the paid supercharging.

They looked at lost sales and lost good will and probably figured for most of the fleet they were looking at around $50 a year in supercharging. A few heavy users are costing them several hundred a year if not over $1000, but for a couple of those heavy users like Bjorn, they are getting a massive ton of publicity from his videos. So instead of shelling out lots of money on TV ads, Tesla is giving away long distance travel and letting people brag to their friends about it.