Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New unlimited lifetime supercharger promotion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great Tesla marketing tease. Hitting 1 year of ownership soon and I was very happy to own a 75D AP1 with unlimited supercharging and plan to keep this model for "a while." Knowing I have supercharging for life softened the blow from not waiting for AP2. But I am now seriously reconsidering upgrading in another year when the combination of supercharging infrastructure growth and even faster charging will allow my family to take road trips without long stops to charge up.

Current owners of 75 or 75D models, what else would have to be true for you to jump into the upgrade cycle? Are there any other new technology upgrades anticipated?

Great Tesla marketing tease. Hitting 1 year of ownership soon and I was very happy to own a 75D AP1 with unlimited supercharging and plan to keep this model for "a while." Knowing I have supercharging for life softened the blow from not waiting for AP2. But I am now seriously reconsidering upgrading in another year when the combination of supercharging infrastructure growth and even faster charging will allow my family to take road trips without long stops to charge up.

Current owners of 75 or 75D models, what else would have to be true for you to jump into the upgrade cycle? Are there any other new technology upgrades anticipated?

The new battery tech/cells in the S/X, extreme super charging speeds (300 plus kWh), and full release of level 5 AP software (which is probably a few years away at best) . That would temp me to upgrade. We have a 75D purchased in Oct 2016 with AP1.

• Informative
Reactions: TJ&TheBeast
The new battery tech/cells in the S/X, extreme super charging speeds (300 plus kWh), and full release of level 5 AP software (which is probably a few years away at best) . That would temp me to upgrade. We have a 75D purchased in Oct 2016 with AP1.

Totally agree with you. I'm one of those rare P100D AP1 owners (purchased 9/2017) and I am very happy with what I have. AP1 is solid and my car is a little too fun to leave on AP too often :) Once they come out with next gen charging speeds, 2170 cells, full level 5 regulatory approval/software/hardware and show that it works, that would tempt me to convince my wife to upgrade her ICE SUV to a Model X--I'll be sure to put it under my name to get free supercharging! I'm also excited to see if Tesla will introduce some kind of AR/HUD to their vehicles, since it would integrate nicely with level 5 autonomy.

It
The messages are not very clear. I made a table. Please correct me if anything is wrong.

View attachment 227802

I don't think that is correct. We were a first time buyer (12/31/16) and pretty sure our status from what we've seen from Tesla is that our car only has free, unlimited supercharging which transfers to next owner. I believe that maybe only owners who have been owners of multiple Telsas get a personal account that is free, unlimited forever for them plus their car gets some free, unlimited status, but not sure. Thought for them that was kind of a way to reward them for their long loyalty to Tesla.

Either way complaining about it is stupid. It's good news.

Not necessarily to the guy who believed Tesla in Q1 that now is the time to buy a 90D and get FUSC, because it is going away, and not wait for that 100D...

Otherwise, I agree overall this is a nice gesture. But it would have been a lot nicer without the Q1 shenanigans on this.

Sweet...thanks Tesla!
Agreed,
I have now had my model X for about 3 months and it has been one of the best purchases I have made in my life...
Now they have thrown back in Free Super Charging For Life....Even Better
Tesla---Keep up the Awesome work
PS....autopilot 2 is getting more stable by the day....traffic jams are often relaxing and enjoyable now
Thanks‼️

Reactions: winfield100
View attachment 227802[/QUOTE]

I believe that maybe only owners who have been owners of multiple Telsas get a personal account that is free, unlimited forever for them plus their car gets some free, unlimited status, but not sure. Thought for them that was kind of a way to reward them for their long loyalty to Tesla.

I have this question also. I'm already an owner and have been since June 2015. If I purchase another Model S 2-3 years form now will I get free unlimited supercharging on that car? That would be very cool (even if it is not transferable in the event that i choose to sell the next car.

It sounds like Tesla found the costs of running the pay per use supercharging system much more involved than simply keeping it unlimited free for now.

I think you are making a pretty big assumption here.

I don't think the Model 3 folks will have the same benefit, but S and X owners should.

I agree with this. it is one way to differentiate the S and the X from the 3.

I will also go on record here and say that Tesla should not be providing free unlimited supercharging to fleets of any kind going forward.

A lot of "its not fair" whines from the Q1 people. So wait, Tesla was supposed to screw the rest of us just to make it fair to you guys? Man, unlimited supercharging for as long as YOU own a Tesla, a very very good perk but yeah, lets just complain about how unfair it is or how untrustworthy Tesla is for giving us free stuff. Sure....

Man the child-like temper tantrums of rich people lol

I have this question also. I'm already an owner and have been since June 2015. If I purchase another Model S 2-3 years form now will I get free unlimited supercharging on that car? That would be very cool (even if it is not transferable in the event that i choose to sell the next car.
According to the language in MyTesla:
You have free, unlimited Supercharging, including your current Tesla and any new Model S or Model X you purchase. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner. In addition, up to five friends you refer will also receive free Supercharging. Read our Supercharging terms.
So if you have the same verbiage, the answer is yes, if the car is purchased new (or presumably also inventory).

Last edited:
A lot of "its not fair" whines from the Q1 people. So wait, Tesla was supposed to screw the rest of us just to make it fair to you guys? Man, unlimited supercharging for as long as YOU own a Tesla, a very very good perk but yeah, lets just complain about how unfair it is or how untrustworthy Tesla is for giving us free stuff. Sure....

Man the child-like temper tantrums of rich people lol

Here's an idea: What if Tesla had not falsely announced an end of free Supercharging for Q1 and just implemented the Q2 move only instead. Only one end of free Supercharging, instead of two.

Wouldn't that have been more ethical?

Reactions: alcibiades
Here's an idea: What if Tesla had not falsely announced an end of free Supercharging for Q1 and just implemented the Q2 move only instead. Only one end of free Supercharging, instead of two.

Wouldn't that have been more ethical?

Announcing the end of supercharging was a way to help with the supercharger apocalypse. It wasn't "falsely" announced. I'm sure that was their intention, but does it have to be binding to the point of not benefiting other customers? Eventually 10 years from now nobody would have free-supercharging. Is that what we wanted just to be on the "fairness" side? Please! But even then, paid supercharging is still the reality for people going forward who do not get a referral code, and future Model 3 owners. So Yes, Tesla wanted people to pay for supercharging, they just changed the criteria of who gets it for free.

Now the FUSC for life is meant to reward current Tesla owners and encourage them to upgrade in the future. Who cares if Tesla did this to benefit their sales numbers, they're a for-profit publicly traded company. As long as we get a benefit from it, i'm cool. Because they most certainly cannot take this perk away from us.

Obviously the solution for a lot of these people is that Tesla should never have unveiled this FUSC promo, which is selfish and foolhardy to say nonetheless. This is another way to anti-sell the Model 3 and encourage people to get an X/S. If that's so wrong, then lol.

It

I don't think that is correct. We were a first time buyer (12/31/16) and pretty sure our status from what we've seen from Tesla is that our car only has free, unlimited supercharging which transfers to next owner. I believe that maybe only owners who have been owners of multiple Telsas get a personal account that is free, unlimited forever for them plus their car gets some free, unlimited status, but not sure. Thought for them that was kind of a way to reward them for their long loyalty to Tesla.

We too were first time buyers, and took delivery about a little before you. Log into your Tesla account. For ours it states specifically "including your current Tesla and any new Model S or Model X you purchase "

That would be both car and owner level.

There is no way to spin this as a move of integrity for Tesla. I don't care that newer owners get free supercharging. That's awesome.

But to use the end of free-supercharging to motivate sales -- only to post facto say "just kidding!" -- is completely dishonest.

As Q4 2016 buyer, every sales tactic employed to get me to purchase my car has turned out to be a lie.

There is no way to spin this as a move of integrity for Tesla. I don't care that newer owners get free supercharging. That's awesome.

But to use the end of free-supercharging to motivate sales -- only to post facto say "just kidding!" -- is completely dishonest.

As Q4 2016 buyer, every sales tactic employed to get me to purchase my car has turned out to be a lie.

Tesla simply realized in this case how dumb it was to tell their early adopters that they shouldn't upgrade to a new car because they will lose unlimited supercharging. Basically, giving the market that has the MOST incentive to upgrade an incentive NOT to. Very dumb, they fixed their mistake now. What makes so much sense here is that customers that have experienced unlimited supercharging will always experience that, and customers that don't experience unlimited supercharging will never experience it. Thus, all customers have a consistent experience and don't have any incentive to hold off on purchasing a new vehicle.

Too bad it took Tesla this long to figure it out. I sympathize with you about how frustrating it must be to be caught in the middle of it. And I definitely wouldn't call this an integrity move, or a sales tactic (maybe somewhat), but rather, fixing a f* up that could have long term negative sales implications.

Last edited:
@tpham07 There is nothing wrong with using free Supercharging as a promo - and as far as promos go, this particular one has been worded quite nicely and is overall a nice gesture.

The questionable part is only that Tesla already sold lots of cars with a very similar demand lever in Q1 (get free Supercharging if you hurry). Using the same demand lever twice in consequtive quarters, when the demand lever includes a "buy now or miss it forever" implication, that's the ethics question here. I am sure you understand that.

I ordered in October and took delivery in December 2016. MyTesla says the following

Supercharging
You have free, unlimited Supercharging, including your current Tesla and any new Model S or Model X you purchase. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner. In addition, up to five friends you refer will also receive free Supercharging. Read our Supercharging terms.